Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my Gramma was babysitting my boys.  She was sitting outside with my youngest son and my dogs and says Jaxon started limping, holding his paw up.  She said she assumed he hurt it playing with Bayla.  When she looked at it, nothing was noticably injuried..no blood or cuts.  Then it started to swell.  She didn't call me at work (that's another story) but when I came home, she immediately told me about it.  It's obviously swelled back to the joint (ankle?) The pads even seem swollen.  When I touch it or move it, he doesn't protest.  I gently squeezed it, it doesn't seem broken or even sprained.  I called the vet and he'll see him first thing in the morning since it wasn't an emergency..no limping or apparent pain now.  I'm hoping it was just a bee sting.  I wish she would have called me at work, but I can't change that now.  They said I could give him Benedryl but I'd prefer not to, I'm not real keen on meds.

His appointment is at 9 tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope Jaxon is alright. Let us know how he does at the vet tomorrow...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ahhh, poor baby, hoping it's nothing serious..Benadryl should help tho, I'd give it to him.....Soaking it, like Sharon said is also good, providing you can get him to sit still long enuf.... :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Awe poor Jaxon I hope he is okay and that it's nothing serious.  Let us know what you find out from the vet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah...his tech told me I could use a cold compress too...I know it's a good idea, but I immediately thought..have you met Jaxon??? LOL...he'd think the big cold thing is a toy!  He's sleeping soundly right now, but before I go to bed I think I'll give him some benedryl.  I want to give it early enough though that I can watch him before I actually go to sleep.  I'm a med-phob!!!  You'd never believe I work in a hospital!!!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By this morning, Jaxon's paw was all but back to normal.  He saw the vet and he said he would say 99% sure it was a bee sting.  He hasn't "complained" about it at all today.  I'm glad it went away as quick as it came!  He really had me worried when I saw it yesterday.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Whew, glad to hear that is was just a bee sting and not something worse, course bee stings are not something to sneeze at..Some dogs really have bad reactions...Give Jaxson a big hug and glad his footie is doing better.. :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So glad to hear he is doing better, bee stings are not fun.  I stepped on a honey bee as a kid and couldn't wear shoes for almost two weeks; it was painful.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm really allergic to bees, so stings always scare me.  The breeder where I got Jaxon has another female who is extremely allergic to bees, they carry an epi-pen for her.  I really wish my Gramma would have called me when she noticed it.  There's a few issues I think I need to address with her while she's babysitting.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative that she babysits my kids as well as takes care of my dogs while I'm working, something I wouldn't get from anyone else.  But I think sometimes other people don't really know what you personally constitute as an emergency.  Neither of my boys have ever been stung, my oldest son did have allergy testing about 2 months ago so I know he isn't allergic to bees, but I don't know about my youngest son who is 3 or Bayla who is 9 and has never been stung.  I'm sorry to vent, I've been pretty edgy since this happened, I tend to make mountains out of mole hills!  :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts