Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Chloe is becoming jealous and I dont know how to go about this..I am the only one home during the day and the puppy ALWAYS wants me. I put the puppy in the crate for a bit to give Chloe alone time with just me and her but the puppy cries and carries on so bad in the crate, making Chloe completely focused on him. Then when I do let Brodi out he comes running to me and sits at my feet wanting to be picked up and then Chloe starts barking at him and what looks to be trying to get Brodi to play but she is so rough that Brodi cries at my feet wanting to be picked up. Hubby thinks Chloe isn't wanting to play but is barking and stuff trying to tell me not to pick him up. Then last night we gave her a bully stick and bought him one of them teething fishies..Well Chloe took off with both. I don't know how to handle that..Should I have taken the fish away from her or not? I just dont want Chloe feeling like she is getting pushed aside. But after she had her bully stick the puppy wanted it and when he went over to her to sniff it Chloe snapped at him. Same thing with her food..I put her food down and didnt pick up Brodi in time before he ran over and she snapped again. When Chloe gets too rough I pick Brodi up because she gets so worked up she won't listen to anything but wow they sound like they are going to kill each other! I just want to make sure I go about this the right way now before I end up having problems down the road. As far as hubby showing Brodi attention , Chloe HATES it..I know she is a daddy's girl and all but I mean even if the puppy walks over to hubby Chloe is right there throwing a fit trying to get the puppy away from daddy.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You are going to have to divide time between the two to be fair.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Poor chloe...she is used to be the only child!! I can imagine how hard it is for her to give that timeup! I dont really have any advice other than what nano said. just make sure to divide your time. If the puppy is howling, take chloe outside or in another room so that you can have your one on one

·
Registered
780 Posts
We have had a certain degree of this when we got a new puppy with the older boxers.  Most of the time they got along fine and were just wanting to see what the new puppy was all about.  Chole is still pretty young right?  I am sure as time goes on and the puppy gets big enough to play with her she will love it.  I know that we watched ours but let them play and work it out on their own (unless things were getting too rough).  With the last puppy (Zig) Teaki had just lost her two best buddies and she wasn't interested in a new puppy right away so when Zig would come over she would get up and leave or sometimes she growled at him to let him know she didn't want him near her.  Good ol' Zig didn't give up and would cuddle up to Teak when she was asleep.  :D  

It will take some time but eventually they will be great together.  Just make sure you give Chole time and attention, we found a good time to do that was when the puppy was sleeping.  We also tried to make sure that they both had equal treats, play time, etc.  When we were playing tug with the puppy we would get Teaki to take the other end so she was tugging with him to get them to play together.  They usually swapped treats/bones/toys all the time (even when we had three they would do that).  One thing that helped was we always put out an extra one....so if we had three dogs we put out three bones or toys for them.  It really helped because there was always an extra one laying on the floor and it stopped alot of the fighting over the bones.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hopefully after a bit of getting used to each other they will be sleeping together and not want to be seperated.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Oh, I soooo feel what you're going through. We waited and waited to bring Blitzen home and by about her 3rd day here I was ready to go absolutely crazy!!!! Donner just could NOT leave her alone, I was frantic he was going to hurt her (I've never seen him quite as wild as he was) feeding times were ok, Donner has been taught to let us or even the cats interrupt his meal from time to time so that was no big deal. but on her 1st night here Donner biffed her right in the forehead and left a scratch  8O I yelled at him and she hid by me. I didn't want to set up that scenario for either one of them, so after that I tried really hard to stay out of it as much as I could stand! She's sooo much smaller than him it freaks me out when they really get going. When it gets too rough I tell them to QUIET DOWN and try to interest each of them in a separate toy. Works for the most part  :D Hang in there,they really will figure out pretty soon where they each "fit" into your home.  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Luckily when we brought Angel home, my biggest issue with Samson was he wouldn't quit sniffing her "parts", she was still spotting a bit from that surgery and was giving out an odor similiar to when they are in season....Oh my god, Samson was drooling all over the place.....Anyways, I made sure that Samson had "his" time with me, was fed first, got treats first, etc, but dealing with a pup is a bit different....I agree tho, Brodi can be crated for short times while you have a nice pamper session with Chloe, he will be fine..It might be better if you actually left the room, that way Chloe wouldn't be quite so distracted...Take a deep breath sweetie, they will be fine together, it just takes times..Chloe is very used to being the only one and a bit of jealousy is not uncommon, I actually was careful at first not to show more affection to Angel, but surprisingly, Samson really isn't the jealous type....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone..We are making progress..Last night I went to bed with Brodi while Chloe was out in the livingroom with dad..I woke up to Chloe laying across my leg with her head resting on Brodi's  :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You will have to keep me posted on how it is going, I am worried now about when we get our puppy.  Duke is jealous of Tabs and we had Tabs before we got Duke.  He always wants all of our attention. So keep me posted.  I hope things get better for you guys :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts