Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brough home my new baby, Jetta. She is a 6 weeks old flashy fawn boxer.  I didn't realize she would be so young when I got her, but she seems to be adapting well to everything I've introduced so far, including kitty and other dogs (fully vaccinated)  She is just adorable. I will post pics in the next day or so...

I do have a question, I bought her some nice smelly chicken moist natural treats...and she won't eat it, how do you train the puppy to eat treats or play with toys?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe she is not ready yet. She seems very young to have even left her mommy. She will play when she is cumfy enough. SHe is a tad young to understand playing with toys really. She is use to her mommy and her siblings.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Maybe Jetta just doesnt like that kind...Cant wait to see the pitures of her and all your other fur babies..

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm sure once Jetta has settled in she will begin to play with toys. I would perhaps wait a bit longer to start giving her treats incase they upset her little delicate puppy tummy!
Can't wait to see pics of her!

Heather

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yes, have to wait on treats.  They do make puppy treats that are supposed to be easier on the tummy, but still wait a while.

Good luck w/the new pup! :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome from WI.  Can't wait to see pictures of Jetta.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd use her kibble as treats for a bit..She is very young..Same with her toys, that may take a couple weeks. At that age, pups are generally still with their littermates and the play they do is their source of entertainment...Give her a bit of time and have tons of patience.... :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, she will nibble the treats, I'll prolly start with kibble instead...and she has started to play with some of her toys a little.  She is really becoming quite adorable...I am having trouble getting her to use the crate...she just cries and cries and cries...and I broke down and let her sleep in bed..and then she peed in the bed and I don't know what to do...and she has gone outside and used the bathroom whenever I take her out...but I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the crate...sigh

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Don't be too  discouraged...she's just having to deal with the adjustment from littermates and Mom to sleeping alone...you could try wrapping an old fashioned alarm clock(that ticks) and a hot water bottle in a towel for her to sleep with...also, don't be too discouraged about the accidents...she can't really help it...they are VERY sensitive to change of any kind and that will cause her to "forget" anything she has learned as far as housebreaking...the most important advice I ever got was to remember that if the puppy had an accident, it was OUR fault, not the puppies...also, as hard as it is, NEVER take them out of their crate while they are crying...it only teaches them that crying will get them out...that leads to a ton of frustration for everyone...

Oh, and if you decide to let her sleep with you(as some people do) you might get her a doggie bed and put it on your bed with puppy pads under it in case of an accident...I don't personally like the puppy pads for "housebreaking" because they teach them it is ok to go in the house sometimes...it  can be confusing...there needs to be a consistant potty spot outside...but, to protect your bed in the night is different...I personally let Mic sleep with me when he was tiny...but, we ended up getting a second boxer(his brother, same litter) and then they slept together in their crate and we've never had a problem since! So, that is the limit of my experience...I know there are TONS of folks here with just one who can give you more ideas...

Hang in there! :wink:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Keep in mind she is still very young, maybe a tad bit too young to have come home (not harping). She is in a new environment and has new "littermates" to get to know. I agree i wouldnt feed any treats right now. Treats are a very big trial and error thing. I went through 4 different kinds of treats before i found one my girls would eat. they have since branced out and will eat about 3 different kinds plus the homemade ones i make.

As for the kenneling and such. you HAVE to be strong. It is hearbreakin to hear the cries but if you cave when they cry Jetta will learn to associate crying with getting out of the kennel and then you will have an even bigger issue on your hands. I agree with the hot water bottle wrapped in a towl and the clock. Personally i have not used them, but i have heard they work. If you want to her to sleep with you that is fine and by all means your own personal choice, but if it were me i would wait until she is fully trained and knows her commands before letting her out of the kennel and sleeping with you at night.

oh one more thing about the treats, i noticed neither of my girls liked anything flavored with chicken. they LOVE liver treats and i have two kinds of training treats we bought that they adore. they are such perfect angels when they see the bag. i will look when i get home and post what kind they are since i have no clue right now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oh, potty training, we are working on that now as well. I'm working on remembering I should say. I have considered setting a timer to remember evey 30-45 minutes to take him out. The only accidents have definitley been a fault of ours for not realizing how much time has passed or when he awakes from a nap I can't seem to get him out the door fast enough. Although I have to say this is working, everytime there is an accident in the house I wipe it up with paper towels and then walk him outside and place the towels where I want him to go. I didn't really think this would be so simple but he goes to the same spot all the time now when we go into the back yard. Just a heads up as this I was not aware of this but puppies do/can go to the bathroom in their SLEEP! I found this out the hard way. Logan was napping and I just wanted to cuddle him, brought him on the couch with me and low and behold while on his back completley passed out he peed!
As far as the crate goes, I put him in his crate during nap time in the day so when night time came he would understand that is where he sleeps (other than when I want to cuddle). It is really hard to listen to them cry but you will thank yourself later. I've yet to leave the house with him in the crate but plan to work on that in the next couple weeks. Good luck, Congrats and Welcome from MA  :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She did great today...I've been putting her in the crate when she sleeps. and in the last 11 hours she has slept in her kennel for 5ish hours.  She is starting to not cry as much.  I even left the house for an hour or so and when we got back she wasn't crying and I let her out and she was fine.  Only 2 accidents today so far...it's going good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts