Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jetta is now 19 weeks old...she is only 28.6 lbs...that's pretty small for 19 weeks isn't it?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Every dog develops at it's own rate.  I think that would be in the normal range.  Sounds like she is doing fine.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese is 11 months and finally hit 40lbs!! Savannah is 3 and she is only 45lbs. When we brought Reese home at 12 wks she was 20lbs...so it seems as though she is on the right track...but i apparently have small girls so i could be wrong :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mickey is only about 25lbs at 21 weeks. She doesn't eat as much as I'd like and looks a little thin. Her sister is at about the same weight but slightly shorter and will anything and everything in sight. I used to wonder if she was small, but with such varying sizes I've seen here, I'm not too concerned. She certainly has her energy, that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't think that is too small at all.  Felix grew at about 1 pound per week, so at 20 weeks he was around 20 lbs.  Now he is 8 months and 45 lbs.  
they all grow at different rates, and there is a lot of variance in the adult sizes of boxers too.  So, as long as she looks healthy- she is fine :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
That sounds fine.
Henry was 14 weeks? when we got him and he was only 20 pounds.
Now he's 15 months and finally hit the 60 pound mark! :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
remember, they don't get their weight first, so its ok. Patch is getting taller and longer but his weight is not gaining rapidly but he is good.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I wouldn't worry. She's healthy and happy right? She'll catch up... even if not... if she's a runt... then the "rules" don't apply to her anyway. =)

We always think Odin is SO big... I need to measure him but he's 10 months old and weighs 65 lbs... he hasn't even bulked up yet. Though every time we're at the dog beach/park there is a boxer and they're always bigger. Normally because they're 2 yrs or so but this one the last time... Max... he was just a month older and just taller and thicker! Hubby's like, "Maybe we're not feeding him enough?" I told him he's fine... they're just all different. Boy... did we find out Odin was a wussy boy!! Max pinned him and was being dominate at one point... poor Odin rolled over on his back. Then they went back to playing...

ANYWAY... lol She's just fine!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's also just very short and stumpy too, lol...she's like one of the dwarves from LOTR...short stumpy and muscular!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lucy was very skinny when we got her. She was 34lbs at 24 weeks and you could see her ribs and hip bones. But, of course, she was having health issues. I swear though within the past couple of weeks, she is really starting to fill out. She is up to 42 lbs. now at 8.5 months.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I really think it depends on the parents or family genes. We are on the other end with Zeus. He' s was 34.4 lbs at 15 weeks. He's been gaining anywhere from 8-11lbs every three weeks. But when we were visiting the parents and picking out our puppy,Zeus, I remember his father, Boris, (who thought he was a little lap puppy) put a paw on each one of my husbands shoulders and his head was 2 times bigger then Carters head and my husband is a 6 foot man. I think the one good advantage to having a boxer average to on the smaller side is the potty training....... the bigger the dog the BIGGER the mess...lol....but we love our big guy!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of there being an english boxer and a german boxer? About a month ago we had taken Zeus to our boys football practice and one of the other parents were telling us  they had an english boxer. I've never heard of such a thing. Have any of you? Maybe that is the difference in the sizes too.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think alot has to do with genetics.  Charlie gained about 3lbs. a week until he reached about 60lbs., then he was more around 1 1/2lbs. a week.  How big were Jetta's parents?  Sadie is very short IMO, but she's around 60lbs. and looks healthy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cooper jumped from 37lbs to 45lbs in less than a month since we've had him.  He's 8months now and looking good weight wise.  Definitely has some bulking up to do, but that'll come with time.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
zuesesmom\";p=\"57733 said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of there being an english boxer and a german boxer? About a month ago we had taken Zeus to our boys football practice and one of the other parents were telling us  they had an english boxer. I've never heard of such a thing. Have any of you? Maybe that is the difference in the sizes too.
That does have to do with size. But I've never heard anyone call their boxer an english, american or german boxer. Just a boxer... some one might say that their bloodline is german and that's why they have a bigger build or squishier face. I know there are three bloodlines if I remember reading correctly... UK boxers, American and then German. Though Only American and German boxer bloodlines are ever discussed. Not sure if there isn't enough of a difference to the UK boxer bloodline. Boxer's aren't like "English" Bulldogs or an "English" Mastiff... "American" Bulldog. They're just boxers... either they R-E-A-L-L-Y know what they are talking about or they don't have a clue and they meant they have an "English" Bulldog or something. Like those people with "mini boxers".

If I'm wrong in any way please some one correct me... but I think I answered correctly.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
People put too much emphasis on weight.  It's like you could meet two humans who are 250 pounds, one is a jacked professional athlete and the other is an obese couch potato.   Oggie seems to be very light on the scale, but I noticed him next to my friend's lab the other day and I realized he's now the same height as her when he seemed tiny just a few weeks before.  As long as they don't look unhealthy and seem happy, they'll be fine!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the only reason i am putting emphasis on her size is her history of worms and parasites when I got her...I worry that having the worms for so long at an early age she got stunted and may never realize her potential?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts