Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am now getting a little worried about Jetta.  She is gaining size...but she is not gaining bulk..her ribs still show, her hips at times show (depends on if she just got taller or not) and she doesn't get excited about food.  She eats less than a cup of food...usually about 1/2 cup of food a day...and that's a struggle.  What are some tips on getting a puppy who doesn't want to eat to eat?  I just feel she needs to eat a bit more.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
mix a little chicken or turkey in the dry kibble...or even a little egg..

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
What type of food are you feeding her? You could try mixing in a tbsp of wet food in, I know that stuff is a little tastier. Also you can try adding a little warm water to her kibble? Also what KY said about the turkey or chicken is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Oh how I hear you.  Sophie is the all time biggest goof off when it comes to eating.  For 3 weeks she would only eat canned food - so she got Merrick's different canned foods.  I am just now getting her to eat the dry food half way decent.  Our vet said she should be eating 3 cups a day and she barely eats 1 1/2 cups of dry and about 1/2 to 3/4 can of wet food a day.  I also give her treats and she loves peanutbutter and yogurt.  I mix warm water and canned food with her dry food kibble and hope for the best.  I know she isn't starving, but she just is more interested in playing than eating.  It makes me nuts, but I figure if she was really hungry she would eat.  Just hang in there and hope that things turn around for her.  Cooking the chicken and breaking it up in her food is a good idea, or maybe some boiled hamburger and a little rice mixed into her food will help.  I also give her Ensure (Sharon said this is the same thing as Rebound from the vet) to add calories and help put a little extra weight on her.  Hope this helps, just know you are not alone.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow...egg is good...lol...she ate like nearly a full cup of food with the egg mixed in...I've never seen her eat like that...then she fell asleeep, lol

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
LOL YAY!!

I was gonna say I never had this problem... Odin would eat and eat till his tummy would be SOOOO BIG... if I let him... Kyrie too!! Everyone gave you really great tips though... definitely glad it worked too!!

YAY JETTA!!

By the way... she's SO FREAKIN' CUTE!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
with egg how do you mix it in. boiled egg or raw? just curious since I have the same problem with Maverick. I know how youre feeling with jetta it is frustrating. I tried wet food and hamburger and it worked well he started to eat more so you can try that if you want to mix different things and not just egg for some variety. Im sure if she was really hungry she would eat

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fed raw...and I know my mom gives each dog a egg yolk raw at her house...

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
well haha like ive said Isis came to us at 17 pounds emaciated..she was 4 yrs old...just to compare...look at her pics...shes 83 lbs now imagine her at 17....we used raw egg, nutro natural kibble,littel chicken or trukey and plain yogurt for the weight and good bactieria...

im sooooooooooooooo glad she ate...whoo hooo yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel is a bit of a picky eater as well, so I started adding different things into the food, scrambled egg acouple times a week, banana, green beans, apples, yogurt and sardines packed in olive oil..As long as I change it up, she eats great....You do need to remember tho that whatever you add, you need to deduct the amount of kibble, but as Jetta is still a pup I wouldn't think that would be as critical .....Also I add a bit of chicken and some cooked hamburger when I am cooking it for dinner..... :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm glad she's eating.  We used to give Charlie an egg once a week.  I'd fry it over easy and bust the yolk onto his kibble.  He loved it!  We mainly gave him the egg for his coat.  Both dogs are on Solid Gold Mmelinia now and they both eat there kibble fast.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Eggs, plain Organic yogurt, some sardines.....melt some shreddred cheese over it.

Many of things to add to make them eat, I mix it up so they never know what to expect.   makes meal time more interesting!!!  Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts