Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else thinking about a career change?  I went to trade school and worked in a factory for 1 1/2 years.  Since then I have been selling insurance.  In August it will be 3 years.  Seems like business gets slower and slower.  I'm gettin tired of sitting behind a desk!  I've started looking for jobs but since I didn't finish college that makes things interesting.  More than likely I'm gonna try to get re-certified as a welder and go back to and get a college degree.  Hard part is waiting for Jess to finish her masters.  There isn't any way with a home payment, 2 car payments, and all the other bills that we can afford for both of us to go to school at the same time.  She should be done with her masters this December so I'm probably going to start back in college this coming January.  Hopefully I can hold on that long at my current job!  I guess I'm better now that I've vented.

·
Registered
405 Posts
hahha, I almost made this same post last week. I figured it was a safe place to vent. I chose to tear my hair out on my way home and drink some wine each night instead of bothering everyone here with it. Glad you went with it....I am with you. I went to law school, a big investment...and now I don't think I want anything to do with it. I am tired of the environment, I am bored of the work, I am unmotivated, which you can't be given that you have to bill so many hours a week. I have a vacation coming up, maybe that will help....but how much would I love to have a job I love? My husband loves his job, and I am so jealous. Fortunately, he is moving up quickly in his company and a day will come when I may not have to work. Not that I could do that entirely...but I could get a part time job doing something that I love, rather than trying to help maintain a constant income for our extensive home renovations and 401ks and 529s and all that junk. I tell my husband over and over I want to open a doggie daycare...there's not too many around here in CT and we live in a fairly well-to-do town so I think it could be successful. the closest is about 20 minutes away and it's away from the major highways, so I don't think people would go out of their way to head out there each day.
He thought I was joking bc I was so stressed with my job. Then I had a breakdown 2 nights in a row and when I joked about it, he said, "maybe we can one day." ahhh....
wow, that was the fastest typing I have ever done...pent up frustration with my career choice. hahahah

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hang in there JK. You've done it for three 5 months is not that bad. Yeah there are days where I hate my job more then anything else. I always question myself on why I picked this or more, why it picked me. It is great to hear that you are ready and wating to go back to school though. I have been struggling with school myself.  I went to a trade school for three and a half years for Cullinary arts,  I was passionate about it and moved up in the school (it was a middle college). I found out that when I got out and graduated, I would have to start all over again at the college level. That means back to busting out pots and pans, and then prep, and then If I am lucky back to garnish and maybe the line. Eh whatever. So I spoke the counselor about it and they weres saying that it is this way in the real world. Any restaraunt I go to would require me to start at the bottom. Well I quit! I miss it dearly though. I miss cooking for a lot of people and watching them enjoy the food I prepared. Well anyways, Point is, hang in there and go after something you love. Don't let anyone persuade you differently. Cheers and good luck making it till Jan.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would love to quit my job too...after wanting to open my bakery for so many years now that I have had it for 6 years it is not as fun as it used to be.  We just added on to our house so no quitting for me for a long time.  Hubby is in a job where so many positions have been done away with it is always scary to see what will come next.  

Good luck on going back to school, January will come before you know it.  We just finished paying off my husbands college loans last year....he graduated in 1995....seems like no matter what you are always paying!  8O

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
OMG!! i feel the same way :D i work for an investment company and handle other companies 401k plans. I love my company but hate my job. That make sense??  :wink: I am so tired of every day listening to people complain and yell about wanting their money from their plans.I used to have a different position that was behind the scenes, but was moved to this position when they needed help, it was supposed to be a temp move and i have been in it for over a year now!! Why is it so hard for people to understand that 401k's are for retirement that they arent a personal savings plan??? WOW!! that felt good :D

Good luck with the schooling JeepKuntry!! Keep us posted on how everything goes

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well its funny i am about to make another career change. I worked at an Oreilly warehouse for 5 yrs, then moved to Comerica bank in Dallas but now i am really bored with it and found out that i dont really like to sit in a vault all day with a bunch of naggy women (no offense ladies). There is one girl that thinks guys are all cheating liars because when she was 12 she got with this 22 yr old and she is still with him i might add and they now have 2 kids and he cheats on her all the time so we always get into arguments because she is the stupid one with the problem and not me. So now i am looking for another job in sales which i had an interview on the phone and i have an in-office interview next week. This is me building my way to real estate so i can have the knowledge of banking/ sales experience. But i will stop hacking away at the keyboard and rambling on. Good luck with what you are going to do.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
bubba\";p=\"14426 said:
Well its funny i am about to make another career change. I worked at an Oreilly warehouse for 5 yrs, then moved to Comerica bank in Dallas but now i am really bored with it and found out that i dont really like to sit in a vault all day with a bunch of naggy women (no offense ladies). There is one girl that thinks guys are all cheating liars because when she was 12 she got with this 22 yr old and she is still with him i might add and they now have 2 kids and he cheats on her all the time so we always get into arguments because she is the stupid one with the problem and not me. So now i am looking for another job in sales which i had an interview on the phone and i have an in-office interview next week. This is me building my way to real estate so i can have the knowledge of banking/ sales experience. But i will stop hacking away at the keyboard and rambling on. Good luck with what you are going to do.
Hey man, good luck with that interview.

·
Registered
905 Posts
12 when she started going out with a 22 year old?  He should have been arrested.

Anyway, I have been that soldier everyone!  When I left school I started a degree in Biotechnology.  3 months into the course I realised that I had no interest in it whatsoever.  So I dropped out and started a temp. job while I decided what I wanted to do in college.  6 years later I was still in the same company (a different role, though) and bored off my trolley.  I would have loved to go back to college but had bought a house with my sister so that was out of the question.  So I went for a total change of scene and got a new job selling cars in a very large dealership.  I lasted 6 months there before I left because I was crap at it!  I was very conscious of not rushing into another job that I would end up hating, and I had some money put away in the bank, so I decided to take some time off.  I ended up taking 6 months off, and it was the best decision EVER.  I was still doing interviews but didn't feel pressured into accepting a role, and even turned down two jobs before I got my current one because I knew they wouldn't be right for me.  I'm now working in a software company with a great bunch of people, and while I can't see myself staying here til retirement, I'm certainly happy for the time being, and probably won't look to leave for a good few years.  I know not everyone is necessarily in a position to take a few months off, but it did me the world of good and I'd recommend it to anyone!

Actually, someone mentioned a vacation there.  Out of curiosity, how many days holidays a year do you get in the US?  In Ireland you have to get a minimum of 20 days (some employers give more) as well as the 10 mandatory public holidays dotted throughout the year.  Most employers (but not all) would also give Christmas Eve, but it's not an official holiday.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, no career change planned fo rme..I worked for the phone co for 25 yrs before leaving early when the Ex took a job in No. Ireland..Now I'm retired, by choice, but keeping the books for Marq's tile business...

Honeyec, the holiday thing differs from company to company..When I worked for the phone co, we had 8 holidays that were recognized...New yrs, MLK day, Prez day, Memorial Day, 4th july, Labor day, Thanksgiving, X-mas...Depending on what dept you worked in, you may or may not actually be off..I started as long distance operator, so I worked every single one of those hols!! If you do work, you get double time and a half. No bank hols like you have..Then of course there is vacation time which of course varies from company to company also..When I left the phone co, with my 25 yrs, I had 6 weeks of vacation time a year!! And used every last bit of it... :lol:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Here in the US employers don't even HAVE to give you vacation time. With a lot of employers here you accrue your vacation time. A common time here is 1 week (5 Days) to 2 weeks (10 days) after the first year of employment. Then usually you accrue time after the first year of employment. Also, holidays and any paid personal days are all perks to work for a specific company. They don't even have to pay for maternity leave, and if I remember correctly they only have to hold a position (might not even be your position) in the company for 12 weeks before they can fill a position if you don't return to work after having a baby. I've heard that the perks, benefits, and pay are a LOT better across the pond.  :wink:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well I'm rapidly rethinking any plans I may have had to relocate to Avid Tewkesbury if the opportunity arose!  Maternity leave in Ireland is 26 weeks paid and you can take another 16 weeks unpaid after that if you want.  And you're still entitled to accrue your holiday times as well as any public holidays that may occur while you're on leave, so most people would add those on to the end of their leave to extend it a bit.

Workers (male or female) with children under 5 are also entitled to 14 weeks unpaid parental leave per child (not per year, if you know what I mean) that they can take any time, in segments, as long as they give their employer six weeks notice.  

Not that any of this does me much good, seeing as I have no children and plan to maintain that status-quo...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
OK...I think I got lucky here!!!  I love my job!  I have a flexible schedule (usually based on my clients schedule, but I control it as well) and I get to do what I love!!!

Lucky me!!!

Hope you guys get the same opportunity!!!  I love the Doggie Day Care idea!  We have several here and they are VERY successful!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
My company maxs out on vaca time at 5 weeks. to get it you must be with the company 5 yrs or more. I have been here three years so i get 3 weeks. I am happy for those who love their job, makes things better. Hopefully within the next few months i will transition back to where i was-if not i will look for another position within the company. I guess in a way i am lucky that my company is big enough for me to do this

·
Registered
977 Posts
In France 5 weeks vacation time + 9 days of bank holiday for 2007. (Bearing in mind - if the bank holiday is on a thursday or tuesday the french will v. often unofficially have the friday or monday off too - for a long weekend) Have to have worked 1 year in company to get 5 weeks vacation. 35 hour working week except in V. small companies. My brother worked 2 years in France before moving to the States so had to readapt 8O - he always said the French were lazy! :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
well i am a stay at home mom. befor ei met my husband i was apolice officer. we moved to another state due to his army career and his very demanding hours, my career was put on hold. then i became pregnant and couldnt imagine leaving my son anywhere else but with me for now.i do have a degree in criminal justice, but when i do return to work i am not sure what i want to do, defiinitly not a police officer. Im thinking of going back to college to become a physical or occuaptional therapist. we will see though.

god luck to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts