Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bell-trained their Boxer to go outside? Willow has recently started jumping full-on into our glass sliding door when she has to go out (she used to sit and whine, not sure why she's doing this now!). I'm afraid she's going to break it and get very hurt. I know she'll probably be annoying once she gets the hang of the bell (wanting to go out alllll the time so ringing it allll the time!) but I don't care, it's better than her breaking the glass and hurting herself.
Where would I get a bell to mount near the door? I'm guessing I just have to touch it with her paw every time she goes out and then she'll get the hang of it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have never done the bell thing, so I can't help you there. Sorry

I think you will have to stop the jumping at the door 1st before you even start the bell training. She won't substitute the bell for jumping at the door on her own. She will have to realize the jumping at the door is an unacceptable behavior 1st.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I've already been scolding her and making her sit and stay before I open the door for her. If I catch her heading to the door I can slow her down and make her sit. Then I give her a treat before opening the door (so I catch her before she jumps and show her that the behavior I want is for her to sit). Definitely hoping to stop the jumping and integrate the bell instead of jumping to show she has to go out.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Nice!

Zuke was a bit of nut when he saw something or someone came to the door(glass storm door) when he was about 6 months old. He would run full speed and put his paws up to the glass to stop himself. Took a good couple of months for it to completely stop but I finally got him to learn that if someone comes to the door, he has to stop about 5 feet away and sit, and if he wants to see or watch something he has to go over calmly. Keep up the consistency and she will be good in no time.

Also saw a video on line about the bell and you are correct you take the dogs paw and tap the bell, praise her, if she is food driven a treat, and then let her out. After a while she will associate the bell with freedom, lol, and start to do it on her own. Good luck!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!

Zuke was a bit of nut when he saw something or someone came to the door(glass storm door) when he was about 6 months old. He would run full speed and put his paws up to the glass to stop himself. Took a good couple of months for it to completely stop but I finally got him to learn that if someone comes to the door, he has to stop about 5 feet away and sit, and if he wants to see or watch something he has to go over calmly. Keep up the consistency and she will be good in no time.

Also saw a video on line about the bell and you are correct you take the dogs paw and tap the bell, praise her, if she is food driven a treat, and then let her out. After a while she will associate the bell with freedom, lol, and start to do it on her own. Good luck!
Thanks for the info!! Haha that boxer crazy...tricky to tone down! But yes I will stay consistent and hopefully train it out of her :) (the jumping, not the boxer craziness lol)

·
Registered
92 Posts
We bell trained our female boxer and it was super easy. We just bought a cheap bell from Hobby Lobby and hung it on some string on a nail close to our back door. Then, whenever she went outside we put a treat by the bell and she had to make a noise to get it and then immediately outside she went. It only took a few days. You are right, sometimes we have to take her bell away, she is really good at knocking it now and sometimes it is so annoying! She rings her bell whenever she wants out which doesn't necessarily mean when she needs to potty. She eats outside too and so if i am prepping food in the kitchen she will ring her bell to let me know she also wants to eat. But overall, i'm glad we did it

·
Registered
8 Posts
When my doggie learned to ask to go outside, he took the leash in his teeth and spun around in a circle. Then she got a little older and started jumping through glass doors, just like in your stories. We couldn't break her of this habit. One day, a crack appeared on our glass door and we had to replace it immediately. We decided to remove the entire door and replace it with a stronger one. And so we chose one of sliding glass doors and ordered Jeld-Wen 4200mm fenton sliding patio doorset. So we continue to teach our Jackie good manners, but I'm sure she can't break this strong door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts