Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 5mth old female boxer and I take her to obedience classes and she is doing very very well. She does all the commands, except jumping on everyone. Wondering if anyone out here can give me some advice on how to stop this, and will she grow out of this. Thank you.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There are some very knowledgeable people on here that will probably give better advice than me, but I'm going to throw my 2cents at you. My first boxer, Buck was the typical boxer, dog on pogo stick we called him. I took him to obedience school, worked with him a lot & was never able to break him of the "jumping" habit. Yes, it got better when he got older, like about 3 yrs old, but never totally got him to mind regarding that. My second boxer Tia, we adopted when she was 9 months old, she never jumped on anyone, likewise Samson never has either. A lot of people will tell you to use the "knee" method & it does work, but just in my experience, which isn't a lot, I think there are jumpers & non-jumpers. A lot of work & using the same commands I think is key, be consistent in whatever you do. And a good strong "no"...Hope I was some help... 8)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Decide what you want her to do instead, and reinforce that. :)  Some people want the dog to sit to be greeted, others just prefer "four on the floor".  If you want her to sit, be sure she is reliable with that behavior first.   Set her up for success - when people come up to you/her, they will turn or walk away if she jumps up, but will reward her when she sits/has four feet on the floor.  (The reward will vary, depending on what works for her and at what level you're training - high-value rewards, things like liver or liverwurst, are good for beginning sessions, but if she gets too excited, something lower-value might be a better way to start - a few pieces of her kibble, perhaps, or a plain dog treat.)  The key is to teach her that the desired behavior means Good Things, while jumping up means Removal of Good Things (and attention, whether it's positive or negative, is a Good Thing as far as a dog is concerned, so scolding or pushing or kneeing may work against you).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to Thank you very much for your quick responce. I had been told also to do the kneeing method and tried, but it doesn't seem to work for me...she thinks we are playing with her and does it more...I am though going to try the sit method/reward since she does listen to that command very well. I will keep you all informed on how things are going and again thank you so much...this website has been a blessing to me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You can also try having her greet strangers on leash. Leave a big enough loop on the lead so that you can wrap it down and under your foot so that you're standing on it. The lead at this point should be taught from her collar down to your foot. Practice placing her in a sit/stay, and practice having strangers approach. When she sits and is calm, either reward her by giving her treats, or by having your "strangers" pet her. Make sure that your "strangers" are quick enough so that they immediately stop petting her if her butt so much as leaves the floor if only an inch. If you can't trust your "strangers" to be quick in marking the bad behavior, you give the reward with treats only.

Using the lead in this manner ensures that she cannot get what she wants, which is to put her paws on your guests to greet them, even if her butt does leave the floor. If her butt leaves the floor, ignore her until she sits again. When she sits again, reinforce the good behavior with treats or greets.

Just another thing to try if the above two don't work.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts