Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I dont post that often but I read the boards. My Mocha is 6m now and Holy cow im at my end here!  I have twins 3 1/2 and also my DD which is in SK and is 5 tomorrow.  Ok heres what happens. Everyday Mocha goes for 3 walks. They are horrible!  She pulls with a normal Collar and also a martingale collar.  I got the book from Brad Patterson and still she pulls.  I do pull her back. I walk backwards and the opther way. Its doesnt matter. I even bring treats with me.  Heres what happened today at athe school.

ok there is a walkway so I can see DD line up at the wall and walk in the the class. Its COLD here and my twins decided to take there hats and mitts off and throw them on the ground. :roll: I asked them to put them on and a lady came and helped them well Mocha jumped up on my one DS and knocked him down(not the first time) and he screamed "like normal"  but see people dont know that he screamed like the world is coming to the end every time he falls :oops:  :roll:

So he gets up tears are streaming down his cheeks and the lady is panicing. Im telling her to relax in a really nice way and then she walks away at the end of the walk away 2 kids are standing there scared crap of Mocha  :( That lady then says its ok and ushers them into the line right along the wall.

ok so i need advice because im stock and I dont want her jumping up on people and kids. I also want her to walk.  I have done lead work at the back here with stuff and walking and running and her listening shes great at that but when i get on the street is a different ball game.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Have you taken Mocha to obedience classes or worked with a trainer?  If not, that is what I would suggest.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent gone to a class......Mocha walked really well up to about a month ago and now shes getting worse.  People were amazed how well she walked.  Now I still work from Brad Patterson book and do what he says but its not working for me....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Boxers jump.  You have to be there, with the leash, and correct them when they jump.  The sit command is a good alternative to jumping.  Consistent correction.  Eventually she'll get it when she realizes it pleases you.  You always have to watch them around kids.  A boxer can easily knock over a kid even without jumping, so just be especially cautious when it's not your kids!

Maybe she doesn't deserve 3 walks a day.  She's probably thinking "I act like a maniac and get rewarded with more walks!  Yeaaah!!"

I'd do one shorter walk a day where you work on her not pulling.  Like Nexu said, when she pulls or is out of control, you stop and have her sit and correct her.  If you just let her walk wild, she doesn't see what's wrong with the behavior.  

Sometimes more walks just works and they figure it out themselves, but it's not working here.  You gotta do what works.  One controlled disciplined walk would be better than 3 walks of hell a day.  It sounds like she's not behaved enough yet to be on walks with lots of distractions.  Try to walk her in an area where there aren't a lot of kids, people, dogs, etc.  Then you can work your way to higher traffic areas.  Clearly she's not deserving of being around a school of kids yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes thats why I take Mocha up there. We do sit. I do make her sit beside me and I tell her to stay while people are walking by.  I to walk down the street and I do stop and she comes back now without me saying anything and sits there.  Then we do start walking again and her pulling because she wants to run to the kids so we stop again.

She listens really well in the backyard and when Im getting her to sit. When we are at the cross walks and I stop walking she will sit. Then pull. I stop and walk again.  It does seem now that she was really goos before and now im making her sit and wait she pulls more. I know that doesnt make sence but its happening.

G

·
0 Posts
Baby did the same thing when i got her for about two weeks before I finally said no more..I have 3 small kids my self and when she jumped on them I screamed not at her but just a ouch or ahhh like she hurt them really bad kinda scared her every time I did it she hit the floor and was like what the hell was that and she just stoped ....unless me and her are playing or she is on her out side leash she might jump but I walk away and ignore her for a bit till she sits on her own and stays....I take baby to the school too with me and the kids good pratice for her but I have waited till she was under my control before I did this...I used my own kids and some of my g/f teenage kids to teach her not to jump and when she got it right she got to go to school with me and the kids and she was not  put in her crate or left at home in the yard which she hates being left alone....one great thng with baby she don't like being left behind so in that case it work for my benifit she knows if she is good she goes with us if she is not she stays home. and just like my kids I speek 3 times after that pack it up and go home drop her off and leave(with the kids i stay home but she can be left alone) so she knows be good or go home!!! hope it helps.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lola went through phases where she would do great then all of a sudden she'd want to be a puller again and we'd just go back to the basics.  Eventually she'll figure it out.  But she will not figure it out if sometimes you allow her to pull and walk.

Distractions are tough.  Perhaps you need more practice with leash walking and no distractions (i.e. no kids or wherever she wants to run to).  Lola struggles at times with some distractions, like inside doggy daycare or at the dog park when she knows she's about one second from being let off her leash.  Gotta master the basics first before you can expect perfect compliance with difficult distractions (IMO).  It's tough but stick with it.  Every day is a new training session.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks it all does help......im just not going to take her to the school any more.....see at home she doesnt jump on my guys just when on a lead....I guess im just not a good trainer!   Im so fustrated right now im in tears over it.  Mocha is a HUGE suck as Im sure most boxers are!    I guess 1 walk a day is all she will get.  Sucks I got a dog because I know I walk alot and wanted to bring her.   Oh well....Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
One other thing you can do is just take her on one long walk until shes so damn tired she can't pull anymore.  Once you get to that point, sometimes they just realize it's a lot more pleasurable walking slowly than pulling the entire time.  It'll probably take a while but it should click.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You've gotten some good advice, so I don't have much to add..Keep in mind you are dealing with a puppy and they do go thru stages of acting up...Make her earn the walks, I like Nexu's approach, if she acts up, you go home, I've done that before with Buck & Tia when they were young...Boy, did that hurt their feelings. Yes, the walks are great exercise, a good time to bond, but they are no fun if it's a constant battle. You mentioned trying the martingale and with no sucess, how about a Gentle Leader?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I havent tried a gentle leader...I was just looking at them.....Is there any advice on them?  Its suppost to help with jumping up and with pulling....Does nayone use them?  If so does it help?  Can they not slip off?

G

·
0 Posts
You don't suck as a trainer I have no experance either and I am usallu told oh no that is kinda wrong but here try this and sometimes it works sometimes it don't but be patient your baby will come along just takes time and alot of repeating just like kids I have always said dogs are like kids you can yell till you are blue in the face don't work but to reason and teach they will get it one day just takes abit I am 26 years old and still do things that get on my mom's nerves and she still says i thought i told you as a kids bla bla bla!!!lol and just like having kids we get to the end of our ropes and have to have a good frustration cry and then pick up our socks and keep going...my family wishes you a lot of luck and don't give up we have all been there i have 3 kids and i am preg plus two cats two dogs and sometimes i have foster kids here so i am so busy i go crazy but in the end when i can sit and have a good cry on my boxer's sholder it makes all the hard work seam so lillt compared to what she gives back..good luck

just to add i used a gentil leader on my other dog It was the best thing i have ever used they can't pull....and he was so bad for pulling drove me crazzy and he used to jump on every one but when i got that peple couldn't belive the differance I give it 5-5 paws great traning tool. and no if you get a good one it wont come off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called my store in town I live in a small town with 1 pet store they have the Halti?   The one I saw on line is the gentle leader.....do you think that will matter?

I really apprecaite this help all!   Im so glad there is a boxer fourm to help people in these situations!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
another thing you could try is walking her around the house with the leash after everyone else has left for the day. it maybe easier to get her attention and have her focus on what you want her to do...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The Halti is what I use on Angel and have used in the past with Samson, Buck & Tia with great results....They fight it a bit at first, but if you start off letting them wear it around the house that will help. To answer your question, yes it does keep them from pulling...Made my walks, especially when walking 2 much more enjoyable :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so today Ive done something different. I did not take her to the school. But I took her to the park and last night.  Both times no pulling!    I think went to a different up towards the school and once we got on the path she started again!    Then I got thinking why would it be so different.  The only thing I can think of is she Loves kids and Loves to be malled(sp?)  Boy does she like that.     So maybe its because she TOO EXCITED to get there and im just dead wait pulling her back ?    

Is that a crazy thought?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Anything is possible, and yes that could be part of it, but it still wouldn't hurt to use the Halti for a bit to get the behavior corrected...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I found something that works way better then a Halti, there are the dogs boots for hiking and cold weather. If you epxoy those to cinder blocks the jumping and pulling will stop IMMEDIATELY!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts