Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ziva has entered her naughty "teenage" phase & is jumping up on everyone. Everyone, that is, except me. My two biggest problems are that most of the time when she jumps on someone and I say "no, off" the person says "oh, it's ok!" while telling her how good she is & hugging, kissing & petting her. So at that point even though I explain that she needs to learn & tell her "off" she's already been rewarded for jumping. The other problem is that not everyone is willing to take five minutes to wait for her to stop jumping, be rewarded, etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to train the humans in this equation? Something I can have them do that wont take much time for me to explain or for them to carry out? I know what I'd like them to do, just not quite sure how to convince them to do it, lol.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ok so I'm waiting for the responses. I have the same exact issue. Plus people will say hi hi and pet him so excitedly and that makes him get excited more and jump. I always tell people to turn their back. he walks around to the front of them. Lol! He loves people and other animals which is good but he's so excited he just wants to play.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok so I'm waiting for the responses. I have the same exact issue. Plus people will say hi hi and pet him so excitedly and that makes him get excited more and jump. I always tell people to turn their back to him. ButI'm going to get gas do I take it out of our acct? And getting money for tomorrow. he walks around to the front of them. Lol! He loves people and other animals which is good but he's so excited he just wants to play.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lol I think you got part of some other message in there in the middle ;)

Yes, with Ziva I know that I want people to not pay attention to her if she's jumping. I'd like them to turn their backs & step away from her, then greet her only if she isn't jumping (or, preferably, if she is sitting). Most of the time when people see her she is leashed (at the vet's office, the pet store, the barn, etc) which eliminates the possibility of her going around them when they turn their backs. You may want to try that. If he's on a leash he can't go around them and they have the added benefit of being able to step out of reach.

The problem seems to be that ppl are often in a rush and its a lot easier for them to let her jump up for a quick hello & then continue on their way than it is for them to stop & assist in training. And I get that. But what's easier for them is teaching her such bad habits!!!

I was just hoping maybe someone here had advice on how to successfully get these people involved, lol.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must control the situation.
Right...but how does one control the actions of others? If we're at the vet's office and a tech comes to get her from me I can ask that they not let her jump on them, but I can't exactly control their response to that request. I can tell Ziva to sit, but once the tech gets there, opens her arms and squeals, "Ziva! Hi little girl, I missed you!!" it's a little late to be then saying "Hey, I'm trying to get her not to jump on people, so could you please...". And even if I manage to get all of the instructions out (before Ziva manages to leap on the person who has already gotten her wound up & WANTS Ziva to leap on her), how do I convince a busy tech to take a few minutes to help teach Ziva to greet her politely?

My problem isn't that I don't know what needs to be done, its that I can't seem to convince others to cooperate.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Maybe call ahead? I'm guessing from the above the vet staff like Ziva, and if they are professional they will understand. Screen people who you allow to socialize with your dog at least initially? If you haven't already, get into obedience class (Tinkerbell and I area at that topic now- it will take work work work- sorry no easy answer to share with you).

It's hard I know. I even have trouble convincing members of my family to cooperate. Guess I need to obedience train them first hahaha. But we must find ways.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Ziva has entered her naughty "teenage" phase & is jumping up on everyone. Everyone, that is, except me. My two biggest problems are that most of the time when she jumps on someone and I say "no, off" the person says "oh, it's ok!" while telling her how good she is & hugging, kissing & petting her. So at that point even though I explain that she needs to learn & tell her "off" she's already been rewarded for jumping. The other problem is that not everyone is willing to take five minutes to wait for her to stop jumping, be rewarded, etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to train the humans in this equation? Something I can have them do that wont take much time for me to explain or for them to carry out? I know what I'd like them to do, just not quite sure how to convince them to do it, lol.
LOL Boxers!!!!!:clap2:

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I actually do have a theory that "might" help when raising a puppy but for a dog over a year or so don't know??

But this is funny! This is pretty much the why of the "American Boxer" today's Boxers are not the same temperament of the Boxers that came over after WW II. They wanted a family friendly dog and we got it in spades! :)

I'd be curious as to whether Euro Boxer owners have this "problem??"

For the record my Baby girl was "very" well trained I had no problems with her in the real world. But...company came over and all bets were off!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Yes we still have this issue with Duke! He is generally very bouncy when he's excited. He'll jump up in the air and turn in circles to greet us when we get home but he's pretty good about not jumping on us (for the mostpart). However, once we have friends over that do the "Oh, it's ok, we don't mind!" bit then it's all off. I've explained over and over that we don't want him jumping on people because if he does it to them, he'll think it's ok to do to everyone. They don't listen... lol

However, I have noticed that Duke knows who he can and can't do this to. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he seems to be figuring it out!

Now if someone could tell me how to get him not to run into the house like a madman after his walks and rebound off our couches (sometimes with us sitting in them) that would be perfect! lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe call ahead? I'm guessing from the above the vet staff like Ziva, and if they are professional they will understand. Screen people who you allow to socialize with your dog at least initially? If you haven't already, get into obedience class (Tinkerbell and I area at that topic now- it will take work work work- sorry no easy answer to share with you).

It's hard I know. I even have trouble convincing members of my family to cooperate. Guess I need to obedience train them first hahaha. But we must find ways.
Lol the family members are definitely difficult to train, but them I can yell at. Strangers not so much lol.

Yes, Ziva is very well known & (thankfully) very well loved everywhere we go. When I brought her in to the vet to get her eye checked one of the techs who handles the day care & boarding dogs approached me and said she & one of the other girls were so sad because they saw Ziva come in & thought she was going to daycare but instead she went into an exam room, lol. I've told them that I'm trying to break her of her jumping habit, but their response tends to be "this isn't the place to do that," with smiles and giggles. They mean well and I love that they love my dog, but I guess I may need to have a slightly more serious discussion with them. I highly doubt they'll follow through when I'm not there, but if I can get them (and ppl in the pet stores, at the bank, etc) to at least try it would be a step in the right direction...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes we still have this issue with Duke! He is generally very bouncy when he's excited. He'll jump up in the air and turn in circles to greet us when we get home but he's pretty good about not jumping on us (for the mostpart). However, once we have friends over that do the "Oh, it's ok, we don't mind!" bit then it's all off. I've explained over and over that we don't want him jumping on people because if he does it to them, he'll think it's ok to do to everyone. They don't listen... lol

However, I have noticed that Duke knows who he can and can't do this to. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he seems to be figuring it out!

Now if someone could tell me how to get him not to run into the house like a madman after his walks and rebound off our couches (sometimes with us sitting in them) that would be perfect! lol
LOL!!!

Yeah, Ziva hasn't yet figured out who isn't ok to jump on. If its someone she likes and is excited about she isn't happy until she has thoroughly licked their face, lol. And if they try to pull away so that she can't reach she takes it as a challenge, lol. And if someone squats down she thinks it is extremely important to give them the boxer hug along with their kisses. I'm now trying to cue her "hugs" so that we can get away from her trying to climb on anyone who squats down lol. Don't get me wrong, she's a good girl and if I'm right there telling her no she will back off, but I can't always be right there & she needs to learn what is ok and what isn't. Jumping definitely isn't ok. She wasn't ever really bad about it until the last month or two so I had it on the back burner while dealing w other stuff. But the time has come! (And those "oh no, its ok!" ppl make me crazy,too!!)

For Duke's running in after a walk routine: How far/long of a walk is he taking? Sounds like when he comes in he is either overtired or is amped up from his walk & super excited to see the rest of his friends/family. May need to make a change to his walking routine and may want to try keeping him leashed when you first come inside. Then you can take him for a calm walk to the living room/through the house so that he can learn to calmly greet everyone.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the record my Baby girl was "very" well trained I had no problems with her in the real world. But...company came over and all bets were off!
Ziva does great when we're out and about & meeting strangers. She's even good meeting some familiar ppl, but when ppl who know her well and are excited to see her come along... Different story lol

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
LOL!!!

Yeah, Ziva hasn't yet figured out who isn't ok to jump on. If its someone she likes and is excited about she isn't happy until she has thoroughly licked their face, lol. And if they try to pull away so that she can't reach she takes it as a challenge, lol. And if someone squats down she thinks it is extremely important to give them the boxer hug along with their kisses. I'm now trying to cue her "hugs" so that we can get away from her trying to climb on anyone who squats down lol. Don't get me wrong, she's a good girl and if I'm right there telling her no she will back off, but I can't always be right there & she needs to learn what is ok and what isn't. Jumping definitely isn't ok. She wasn't ever really bad about it until the last month or two so I had it on the back burner while dealing w other stuff. But the time has come! (And those "oh no, its ok!" ppl make me crazy,too!!)

For Duke's running in after a walk routine: How far/long of a walk is he taking? Sounds like when he comes in he is either overtired or is amped up from his walk & super excited to see the rest of his friends/family. May need to make a change to his walking routine and may want to try keeping him leashed when you first come inside. Then you can take him for a calm walk to the living room/through the house so that he can learn to calmly greet everyone.
I'm not saying he's perfect 100% of the time, he still jumps up on people that don't want him to if he gets really excited! lol Ziva is how old now? She's just so happy and excited that she can't contain herself! Duke was like that too - he's getting better and calmer as he gets older.

He does it almost after every walk! He goes for 3 30 minute walks per day. He is not a high energy dog but he loves to do his boxer burns after a walk! My husband actually has to keep him leashed after his morning walk or Duke will run up the stairs and jump on our beds and lick us awake! lol We're working on that now! It never ends, does it?

·
Registered
373 Posts
My other dog is very bad for this too! She will jump up and before I can even say anything people are petting her and "Oh isn't she so cute"...

-.-

And like mentioned before everytime I say no down, you cannot let her jump up like that, they do the typical "Oh no it's fine" and then after she won't get down (She's getting pets and attention why would she) then the people get annoyed. It's like, wellllllllll!!!! What did I just tell you! Like you mentioned with Ziva too, she doesn't do it with me and when she tries to I can expect it and turn my body sideways or step out of the way so she doesn't have anywhere to put her paws.

How very frustrating. I know I really should be warning people before they come in but it's not the first thing that comes to my mind (I don't frequent visitors) I am generally more focused on her not running out the door to greet people. Typically I try to kennel her when I expect visitors so she can stay in a relatively calm mindset, but that only works so long.

·
Registered
833 Posts
When my two girls were little, I posted a notice on my door at eye level. It basically said the puppies inside are training and your cooperation is very much appreciated and to be patient while we answer the door as it may take a few minutes. Then I listed some rules, like ignore the dog when entering the house. If dog tries to jump, immediately tell her "off". No talking to the dog. No looking at the dog. Failure to follow the dog rules will result in crated dogs until human learns the rules. It did actually work.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not saying he's perfect 100% of the time, he still jumps up on people that don't want him to if he gets really excited! lol Ziva is how old now? She's just so happy and excited that she can't contain herself! Duke was like that too - he's getting better and calmer as he gets older.

He does it almost after every walk! He goes for 3 30 minute walks per day. He is not a high energy dog but he loves to do his boxer burns after a walk! My husband actually has to keep him leashed after his morning walk or Duke will run up the stairs and jump on our beds and lick us awake! lol We're working on that now! It never ends, does it?
She's about 13 months old now. Still a baby and definitely so happy and excited to see the ppl she loves that she can't possibly contain herself, lol. But like it or not she has to learn. She's so good about so many other things, but in my opinion the biggest hurdle with the jumping is that it involves other people interacting with her & if they aren't willing to play trainer... Sigh!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When my two girls were little, I posted a notice on my door at eye level. It basically said the puppies inside are training and your cooperation is very much appreciated and to be patient while we answer the door as it may take a few minutes. Then I listed some rules, like ignore the dog when entering the house. If dog tries to jump, immediately tell her "off". No talking to the dog. No looking at the dog. Failure to follow the dog rules will result in crated dogs until human learns the rules. It did actually work.
Yup!!! That's exactly what I tell people to do!! Unfortunately, though, it doesn't help me when she and I are out and about. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts