Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Ok this is my theory on how to approach Boxer training. I did it with my GSD because I "had to!" He gave me the "clear" impression that he was going to hurt somebody..I never gave him the chance! This approach taught him "I" was "always" in control and "he" needed to behave!

So my next Boxer will be trained with the same approach. It's just a theory on my part, Boxers tend to "like" people and Boxers just tend to make people nutty,Maybe the Euros not so much??

Women that came over never seem to have much use for Struddell (personally I think they were jealous??) but men...all bets were off!

Pretty much controlled chaos! Go to bed, sit and stay worked but the "instant" contact was made by men?? All bets were off! Go to bed was pretty much "controlled chaos!' Boxers make people giggle... get a GSD I can pretty much guarantee you won't have this "problem!" :)

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I just sound like a big cow, I bluntly say these are the rules follow them haha people are like ok she is weird but whatever. I get a different response if she jumps up on a kid. Then all of a sudden it's all serious ad it's kinda like, well how is se supposed to know the difference!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
When my two girls were little, I posted a notice on my door at eye level. It basically said the puppies inside are training and your cooperation is very much appreciated and to be patient while we answer the door as it may take a few minutes. Then I listed some rules, like ignore the dog when entering the house. If dog tries to jump, immediately tell her "off". No talking to the dog. No looking at the dog. Failure to follow the dog rules will result in crated dogs until human learns the rules. It did actually work.
Sounds like a good idea.

How about bribing a couple of friends you dog likes to come over. Brief them on how to act around the dog? Kind of like role playing?

Tinkerbell and I are in training. We're at greeting strangers. Maybe the prinvciple will work with Ziva's favorite humans. I start with my dog seated and I start treating and an "accomplice" approaches and treating passes on to the accomplice IF doggy stays seated. Ignored until she does. And then accomplice passes by and treating passes back to me. No treats if sit is broken. aven't practiced at home yet. Let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just sound like a big cow, I bluntly say these are the rules follow them haha people are like ok she is weird but whatever. I get a different response if she jumps up on a kid. Then all of a sudden it's all serious ad it's kinda like, well how is se supposed to know the difference!
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
LOL I hear ya!! We never have kids at the house (just don't know anyone who has them to have them over lol) so Z only meets kids when we're out and about. When kids approach her I tend to keep a finger under her collar just to remind her to stay off. The truth is she really only wants to jump up for one reason: to lick your face. Since kids are already at lick level she doesn't have to try as hard, lol. She does, though, sometimes want to try to give them the boxer hug, so I keep that finger under her collar just in case. ;-)

Sounds like a good idea.

How about bribing a couple of friends you dog likes to come over. Brief them on how to act around the dog? Kind of like role playing?

Tinkerbell and I are in training. We're at greeting strangers. Maybe the prinvciple will work with Ziva's favorite humans. I start with my dog seated and I start treating and an "accomplice" approaches and treating passes on to the accomplice IF doggy stays seated. Ignored until she does. And then accomplice passes by and treating passes back to me. No treats if sit is broken. aven't practiced at home yet. Let you know how it goes.
I think that's what I'm going to have to do, bribe some of her favorite people to come over. The trick is getting them to understand and agree to the rules. Certainly worth a try!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We're working on this issue with two Boxers. I'm supposed to tell everyone the dogs are in training, and not to interact if they won't stay on a down or sit. To do downs at entrances to the house, over and over. Leash the dog near the doorway, so they can't jump when a visitor comes. If the dog has learned the down is a good thing, then the reward is to actually get to meet the person with the petting and attention. They learn jumping won't get them the reward. I guess they like to smell faces.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Greeting loved ones by licking their faces is something that's ingrained in them, which is why it can be such a hard habit to break. Add in that they want our attention... I guess I just need to get a lot firmer with the humans in my life. ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My boxer pit is 2 and he jumps when he sees people if I can get him to stop it will be awesome other then that he is good I will try the leg thing and leash thing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts