Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dear Tauchie boy is approaching 13 this year. He has been a very healthy and active dog his whole life. This year well he has seen better years. He has had a few spasms with his breathing and even a few seizures and has had a noticeable change in his bladder control. And now this week it looks as if his eyes are totally changing colors. He sleeps alot more. He still eats and drinks like normal and even attempted to run up the driveway today. My last boxer passed at 12 with a seizure it was quick. How do I prepare him and I for this final stage?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is the hard part of having a Boxer.
If it were me I would get another dog. It will let him know you will be taken care of in the way they think is their job to do. And will give you some distraction when your loss comes. :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
My dear Tauchie boy is approaching 13 this year. He has been a very healthy and active dog his whole life. This year well he has seen better years. He has had a few spasms with his breathing and even a few seizures and has had a noticeable change in his bladder control. And now this week it looks as if his eyes are totally changing colors. He sleeps alot more. He still eats and drinks like normal and even attempted to run up the driveway today. My last boxer passed at 12 with a seizure it was quick. How do I prepare him and I for this final stage?

Bucket list. Special meals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the hard part of having a Boxer.
If it were me I would get another dog. It will let him know you will be taken care of in the way they think is their job to do. And will give you some distraction when your loss comes. :(
We did get a German Shepherd puppy for Christmas. That has helped and has kept him active. Sometimes I feel bad for him tho because i know he would rather just be left alone as to be messed with by the new "snapping turtle" puppy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Believenme...my heart goes out to you. My boy is 14 and was just diagnosed with cancer. I know people are saying get another dog, but you know your baby. Does he like having another dog around? Would a puppy be too annoying to him. Or would he love to just spend wonderful quality time with you enjoying sweet moments with you and occasional adventure.

For me and my boy, I have decided more on the bucket list. Finding wonderful things each day for us to enjoy. Also I take lots of pictures, but I have done that all their lives.

This is taken from Dogs never die, they are sleeping in your heart. by Ernest Montague

"You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it's a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks."

So many walks. Even if they just to get up and walk to the door, go outside and turn around. That's exciting for them. Their bones may be tired, but they still love that short jaunt. We have road trips planned, home cooked meals and so forth.

As for preparing ourselves, I don't know how to do that. I do believe no matter how hard we plan that we are never ready. As i know I will be a basketcase. But we are all here when you need to reach out.

You can google bucket lists to give you ideas something like this Dog Owner Creates Amazing Bucket List for Dying Pup - The BarkPost

Also I am not sure where you are but when the time comes you may want to look into in home euthanasia. Where a vet will come to your house and your baby can be comfortable in their home environment versus being at the vet which can be very scary for many pets. You can look on yelp for people in your area if you are in the states.

(((((hugs))))) to you and your boy!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believenme...my heart goes out to you. My boy is 14 and was just diagnosed with cancer. I know people are saying get another dog, but you know your baby. Does he like having another dog around? Would a puppy be too annoying to him. Or would he love to just spend wonderful quality time with you enjoying sweet moments with you and occasional adventure.

For me and my boy, I have decided more on the bucket list. Finding wonderful things each day for us to enjoy. Also I take lots of pictures, but I have done that all their lives.

This is taken from Dogs never die, they are sleeping in your heart. by Ernest Montague

"You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it's a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks."

So many walks. Even if they just to get up and walk to the door, go outside and turn around. That's exciting for them. Their bones may be tired, but they still love that short jaunt. We have road trips planned, home cooked meals and so forth.

As for preparing ourselves, I don't know how to do that. I do believe no matter how hard we plan that we are never ready. As i know I will be a basketcase. But we are all here when you need to reach out.

You can google bucket lists to give you ideas something like this Dog Owner Creates Amazing Bucket List for Dying Pup - The BarkPost

Also I am not sure where you are but when the time comes you may want to look into in home euthanasia. Where a vet will come to your house and your baby can be comfortable in their home environment versus being at the vet which can be very scary for many pets. You can look on yelp for people in your area if you are in the states.

(((((hugs))))) to you and your boy!!
Thank you so much for the reply. I feel for you too. 14 wow. Its such a shame they live so long and then cancer comes. He has been the greatest dog. I was thinking back to his puppy years and my how far we have come. He tolerates the new puppy. We make sure that he has his special time when the puppy is crated. He enjoyed a trip to get a biscuit this past weekend. He was so excited about the car ride and the lady at the drive thru that he fell asleep on the way home. I have never had to use euthanasia on any of my pets. Im not against it just fortunate enough to be unfamiliar with it. Good luck with your pup. I wish you the best. My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I lost my guy Edgar last year. The first thing that I did was to have a heart to heart with my vet when he started rapidly changing in his health.

Dr Sarah made sure his accident were not health related. We slowly started talking about the end together. Edgar had a special bond with her and they had been through a lot together. She cried when she saw him on his last day and said she couldn't fix him up one last time. I am glad we were at the vet. We had company at home and he was trying so hard to do his job with the company. He literally collapses within moments of seeing Dr Sarah and then a few times more. His job was done.

His last few months was filled with everything he loved. He saw all of his favorite people - my daughter and old friends. We moved 100 miles away his last few years. He played with his GSD BFF on last weekend. They grew up together. He got to go to our cottage and take pontoon boat rides.

My best advice is to as he progresses. Love each moment and make each moment special.

My husband travels and Edgar always took care of me. In the end, I let home know that it was okay - I would take care of us. He didn't have to be on alert. He could just rest. I had the watch.

I have a new guy in my life. He only partially fills that giant hole in my heart. But because he is a boxer I see in Emmett many of those little special moments with Edgar. They sit the same on the stairs. Need an invitation to join me downstairs. So I know Edgar is still watching over me and doing his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry for my typos. I was crying as I typed that response. He left me at 11 years and it was just too short of a life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts