Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, licking really grosses me out and my husband always says that its how dogs get to you and get close to you. I think its a crock.

I told him that i dont allow him or the kids to lick me and you all know who i am amd whos boss...lol why should i let gypsy?

So i was wondering how many of you allow your dogs to lick you.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Human Saliva has grossed me out for years- mostly people spitting and drooling.
I'm better with it after having my son, but still not a fan of other people's spit.

Our furkids are different in my mind. I get that they lick themselves, and in Bandit's case, everything he can.

I see their licks as kisses, and a show of their affection & love. I don't personally like dogs licking my mouth- that to me is not OK. It has happened once or twice and I gross out and move on. My chin, neck, and appendages are all OK for me. I'll put my nose to their nose and sometimes get licked on the end of my nose, which I'm OK with.

They lick my hands sometimes when they smell or taste leftover food. I wash my hands after.

I have to stop them from licking my hands or arms after I put lotion on. They'd happily lick it off if I let them.

They don't lick me like they are cleaning themselves, but more of a couple licks here and there (except for the food on the hands, that's a free for all).

It's a good question- I'm curious to see what others have to say too.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Aww it's not really question! Some dogs lick some dog's don't. Some owners enjoy the contact and some owners don't. Your dog your call.

I enjoy the licking myself, and Struddell enjoyed licking! And most male guest enjoyed her antics, if you did not want to be licked ... then she had no use for you, worked out fine. :)

But the licking thing ... did cost her a "Job!" I wanted her to be a "Therapy Dog" because she enjoyed people soooo much! But the first thing on the list of specs was uh ... "No Licking???" Sadly that was a deal breaker, for us. I was not going to "Correct her" for doing something I had always allowed and she enjoyed doing so much.

I suppose a simple "No Lick" could have gotten it done?? But I did not want to do that. So she was a fail for her potential "Therapy Dog" career." Live and learn. :)

But to answer your question "Struddell" was most defineately a "licker" and all her fans were good with that. :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Not a fan of licking. I let Zuke do it occasionally when he is real excited.

He was a licker when he was a puppy and I trained him to give a kiss instead. Basically he keeps his mouth shut and puts it against my face. Stupid but it got him to stop licking. lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its funny Gypsy doesnt really even try with me anymore cuz she knows i dont like it and wont allow it especially on my face. She does on my hand for the same reasons as others...she smells food when im making dinner but with my husband she likes him all the time...lol

I just thought it was a funny question

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
So, licking really grosses me out and my husband always says that its how dogs get to you and get close to you. I think its a crock.

I told him that i dont allow him or the kids to lick me and you all know who i am amd whos boss...lol why should i let gypsy?

So i was wondering how many of you allow your dogs to lick you.
Not a fan of licking. Though I don't mind a licky kiss here or there. The bubbling drool or left behind kinda grosses me out especially if its on my clothing g or furniture. When I was young it really didn't bother me much but now I gag, and I gag really bad I cannot handle throw up or spit. Really grosses me out when your out in public and I guys spits in the road, I'll gag. Can't help it.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I just thought it was a funny question
Oh most likely it's not so much a funny question as it is a question no one ever thought to ask. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,085 Posts

He was a licker when he was a puppy and I trained him to give a kiss instead. Basically he keeps his mouth shut and puts it against my face. Stupid but it got him to stop licking. lol
Hmm ... so reading between the lines ... it would seem that Struddell lied to me??? Because she assured me that, if she was not free to lick as she saw fit ... it would crush her spirit??? :(

Aww well, maybe she just really, did not want to get that Therapy Dog, gig as much as I thought??? "Get a job dog" ... did not work for her apparently??? Most likely ... I guess it was because.:

:clap:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hmm ... so reading between the lines ... it would seem that Struddell lied to me??? Because she assured me that, if she was not free to lick as she saw fit ... it would crush her spirit??? :(

Aww well, maybe she just really, did not want to get that Therapy Dog, gig as much as I thought??? "Get a job dog" ... did not work for her apparently??? Most likely ... I guess it was because.:

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Official Video) - YouTube

:cheers:

·
Registered
634 Posts

Jax does the mouth to face thing on weekend mornings sometimes when he's decided Mom should get up. Maybe I should say Jax used to do it. Bandit is the first one up now and he'll get Jax up by nudging him to play.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Official Video) - YouTube

lol. It wasnt so much the licking but the awful drool that accompanied it. Would have to change shirts and wash my face and neck. It looked like I left my shirt outside overnight and a bunch of slugs had a party on it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Jax does the mouth to face thing on weekend mornings sometimes when he's decided Mom should get up. Maybe I should say Jax used to do it. Bandit is the first one up now and he'll get Jax up by nudging him to play.
I figured I would try to train him to do something instead of the licking and amazingly it worked. So anytime he tried to lick my face I would say kisses and he would close his mouth and just have it pushed against my face. After enough treats and about a week it stuck. Thank god dogs can't do 2 things at once. lol. Forget who told me but they said if you want to stop a dog from doing something, make a new command or use a random one and they will stop cause they can't multi-task.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I figured I would try to train him to do something instead of the licking and amazingly it worked. So anytime he tried to lick my face I would say kisses and he would close his mouth and just have it pushed against my face. After enough treats and about a week it stuck. Thank god dogs can't do 2 things at once. lol. Forget who told me but they said if you want to stop a dog from doing something, make a new command or use a random one and they will stop cause they can't multi-task.
LOL well the part in Blue ... is "William kohler!" From the KMODT (Koehler Method Of Dog Training) old school as it were.

Lot's of modern trainers have taken his work and modified ... Tyler Muto, comes to mind and his "Conversational Leash Work." :

Near as I can tell ... it's just a variation on KMODT short leash long work, except you leave out the harsh change of direction and snatching the dog off it's feet ... if they are not paying attention, to where you are???

And the drooling thing hmmm ... apparently chasing bunny rabbits in the high desert high ... is not the only, asset to a slightly longer narrower muzzle ... just saying. :)

But back on pointe and in WIlliam Kohler's Book, Self Extinghusing behaviours ... instead of fighting a behaviour you don't want ... train a behaviour you do want and the bad behaviour may self extinguish??? It is apparently a thing (self extinguishing behaviours) and (Kohler) would have known. :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
LOL well the part in Blue ... is "William kohler!" From the KMODT (Koehler Method Of Dog Training) old school as it were.

Lot's of modern trainers have taken his work and modified ... Tyler Muto, comes to mind and his "Conversational Leash Work." :

Conversational Leash Work - YouTube

Near as I can tell ... it's just a variation on KMODT short leash long work, except you leave out the harsh change of direction and snatching the dog off it's feet ... if they are not paying attention, to where you are???

But back on pointe and in WIlliam Kohler's Book, Self Extinghusing behaviours ... instead of fighting a behaviour you don't want ... train a behaviour you do want and the bad behaviour may self extinguish??? It is apparently a thing (self extinguishing behaviours) and (Kohler) would have known. :)
I heard about it with my first dog , about 20 years ago. I have found it works in certain instances. Seemed to work best (for me at least) once they have most of the basic commands down. Basically during the pain in the butt teenage stage. lol

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I heard about it with my first dog , about 20 years ago. I have found it works in certain instances. Seemed to work best (for me at least) once they have most of the basic commands down. Basically during the pain in the butt teenage stage. lol
Hmm ... OK, yet again .... another piece of the "Dog Training Puzzle comes together!! Without (hopefully) going into a long diatribe ... I think I can explain, what I think I understand???

And if you were aware of this 20 years ago (train a behaviour you do want instead of fighting a behaviour you don't want) ??? Your way ahead of me! Under extreme pressure with my (first) H/A GSD ... I just did what made sense??? And he was not gonna get "treats" for not biting the crap out of people???

I made adjustments in my "expectations of what I do/expect from him in regards to stranger interactions)" and how I worked him in public. IE ... no you can't pet my dog ... and we will have an "issue" if you persist in trying!! I don't bare fools well!!

He was simply not a dog that would be going to a family "Barbecue??" Struddell was Gunther was Stewie was and Heidi ... sigh would have been. :(

But Rocky ... uh NO, not gonna happen! So I had to change my expectations of what I could do with him. If people refuse to do that with a given dog ... most likely it's not gonna be good outcome for that dog and owner???

But hmmm, I digress. Rocky was a text book perfect case of " training a behaviour you do want instead of fighting a behaviour you don't want!" His people issues and it was never addressed directly! He never got a single correction for untoward aggression to strangers in his life. And he did "eventually" get to meet quite a few strangers!

I could take him anywhere in public but every interact with a "stranger" was a negotiation with me first! It was a "Responsibility" and yeah I suppose a "life time of management???" But it was not so much a burden (for me) as it was a constant "awareness." In as much as in his short for a GSD 10 years of life he never harmed anyone ... we did fine, so job done. :)

But back on point ... now I understand that what I did was "Behaviour Modification." I trained an alternative behaviour and his job was to do "Nothing" when faced with a stranger as he knew ... "I had his back!"

He finally understood that, and as it happened and as I learned, in a "Crsp Going Down" situation ... he had mine??? Now that was an unexpected surprise to me??? But that's another story.

Anyway ... Sit/Down/Stay/Recall etc .... there are no alternatives! Those commands ... must be obeyed! Those are the basics and with my first dogs ... that was what they knew! That includes my nut ball Struddell, "Formal Obedience Training" was more than good enough! My first dogs had "No Behavioural Issues" to be addressed. In retrospect ... they were no big deal??

I foolishly thought ... all dogs were like that??? LOL and then came Rocky! First lesson learned.

'Well i don't want to beat a dead horse ... too much so ....

Now I tend to think ... that if one raises a puppy from eight weeks on, ie the original owner does all the "imprinting. If they are half way comptant?? Then they are not going to have a need for "Behaviour Modification???

But six moths or older ... young as that my be?? They may have issues or maybe that is just a GSD thing ... I don't know????

·
Registered
634 Posts
That makes sense, I've never thought of it that way. We've used distraction in some instances, but not something like this. I will in the future.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I figured I would try to train him to do something instead of the licking and amazingly it worked. So anytime he tried to lick my face I would say kisses and he would close his mouth and just have it pushed against my face. After enough treats and about a week it stuck. Thank god dogs can't do 2 things at once. lol.
Hmm well sometimes it takes me a couple of day's to notice stuff??? So ... thank you " CynBoxerMom" I saw your quote and went .. oh yeah, that is "behaviour Modification!" My bad I guess Struddell was a great BS artists?? And she had my convinced, that I could not stop the licking without doing harm ... my bad. But yes, what Matt did is also classic "Behaviour Modification" I was not aware of it during my "Struddell" era! :)

Forget who told me but they said if you want to stop a dog from doing something, make a new command or use a random one and they will stop cause they can't multi-task.
Hmm now that one also I had never heard of ... but I saw it!

Struddell was "technically" my second Boxer and second female! My first Boxer was Heidi a Brindle and that was a very very sad story. :(

I did much better with Struddell as she managed to make it past ten weeks, so I'll start there. So my first girl ... and of course we have to train a recall! Well I done it before with my Boys sooo, you know, training "Recall was no big deal???"

Except "WTH???" Now suddenly it was??? She was ...uh ... "unfocused and fast!!" As in, I don't care where I am going ... as long as I get there first!! Seeing this crap ... with no end in sight?? Recall was proving to be a challenge???

Recall meant in dog talk ... "Stop doing whatever it is I am doing?? Turn around and return to owner??? Two things at once and she did not have the time or patience for that crap! Conventional wisdom ... was not gonna work for her!!

So fine then (I thought) we'll break it down! I needed to keep her safe and having her return to me "right now" was not as important as "Not having her proceed in her chosen course at high speed?? So ... I broke it down! Stop the forward motion first! With a Stay and then later I added a Down!

The Stay stopped the forward motion cold! The Down mean "Playtime is over!" And then with her attention now focused on me ... I would add the recall! That worked out fine. And to this day it is how I train a recall.

And to this day ... I've not seen a dog that could out "Stay" Struddell! As I have said in the past, when I said "Stay!" Struddell would freeze in motion! Three paws on the ground and one paw in motion! Stay meant Stay!!

I'd not expect her to hold that position for more than a few seconds ... so I added "Down." At that point she'd forgotten whatever it was she was doing and at that point a "recall would bring her back to me ... "fast!"

Now I had to work on the bouncing off my chest, on the recall thing but that's another story. :)

But her story does speak to the "doing two things at once bit. And now I just train "Down and Stay first and recall last, works out fine.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Glad you found a good way to recall. Chip. I tried for almost 2 years and nothing worked. Food, toys, long line etc. Recall was fine around the house, but as soon as we were away from it, everything went out the window when he was off leash anywhere else.

Watched a bunch of videos from Krohn, Gellman, etc.. finally decided to get the mini educator for recall after I exhausted every type of training. Its the only thing he wouldn't do. It has been fantastic. Needed a solid recall because he is off leash down here by the beach a lot and i was tired of having him on a leash. It wasn't much fun for either one of us. Followed Krohn's videos step by step, and it has been pretty miraculous. Solid recall no matter what the distraction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Curious, how would one teach a very ‘licky’ 7 week puppy not to lick? I find it awfully gross after seeing him clean all of himself, Lol!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Aww it's not really question! Some dogs lick some dog's don't. Some owners enjoy the contact and some owners don't. Your dog your call.

I enjoy the licking myself, and Struddell enjoyed licking! And most male guest enjoyed her antics, if you did not want to be licked ... then she had no use for you, worked out fine. :)

But the licking thing ... did cost her a "Job!" I wanted her to be a "Therapy Dog" because she enjoyed people soooo much! But the first thing on the list of specs was uh ... "No Licking???" Sadly that was a deal breaker, for us. I was not going to "Correct her" for doing something I had always allowed and she enjoyed doing so much.

I suppose a simple "No Lick" could have gotten it done?? But I did not want to do that. So she was a fail for her potential "Therapy Dog" career." Live and learn. :)

But to answer your question "Struddell" was most definitely a "licker" and all her fans were good with that. :)
What a shame how many life's she could have enriched, so what, a little licking would of made peoples day . There loss.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts