Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I just recieved a boxer puppy from my boyfriend for my birthday.  She's 9 weeks old, completley white and I've named her Lola.  I now have my very first question:  I got her about a week ago.  She would sit in our laps and play with her toys and run around and chase them and even played a little by herself.  A week has gone by, she'll still do all of that, but she's more comfortable with us now and seems to think that we're puppies too!  She LOVES to bite us constantly when playing.  I've read a few books and they all say to hold her mouth shut and say "no" or to ignore her.  But neither seems to be working.  Especially when you ignore her, she justs grabs on to your pants or shoe or whatever she can and bites that.  Any advice would be helpful!  I love to play with her constantly but my arms, hands and legs are starting to look like I've been in fights!  Thank you!  Very happy to have found this forum!

·
Registered
521 Posts
hi Alicia! Welcome to the forum :)

How fun!! Our boxer is 9 weeks too, and is totally going through the biting phase.  We definitely want to stop the nipping sonoer rather than later, but we also recognize that he is going to begni teething here pretty quick.

When Beckham nips at us, we also clamp his mouth and asy, "no!" Also, we have heard it helps to act like it hurts you when he bites (which sometimes it does!), and to say "Why would you do that??" in that tone to make him/her realize its not appropriate.

Since they're puppies, every day it's basically like starting over with saying no, but eventually (especially after 12 weeks when their brains are completely developed as I learned here), they will get the message.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice!  It's comforting to know we're not the only ones going through this and great to talk to someone else who is.  She loves to bite clothes, so I've had to change everyday after work into sweatpants and sweatshirts that I don't care about so I don't have rips in all my good clothing!  Keep me posted on how everything goes!  Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums!  :D  Congratulations on your puppy.
Beckhamboxer gave you some great advice. All I can add is to be consistant on the way you and your boyfriend train Lola. You need to train her the same way and she will learn. Puppies do bite. It will take time but she will learn. Oh, and by the way, we do love pictures here!! Feel free to post as many as you like. I would love to see Lola!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
welcome! Congrats on the new puppy! i agree with what was said prior to me. the first boxer pup i ever had was a nipper. It took some time to stop it, but with constant reinforcement then it will get better with time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey there & hello ...   :)
I have also just joined the forum & just recently became a Boxer owner
and I have a hard time holding Roxanne's mouth.. I know it doesn't hurt her but she's like one of my kids and I wouldn't dream of doing anything that might possible hurt... I would have to agree with beckhamboxer letting Lola know she's hurting you (even if it doesn't hurt) might work out best... I know it has for us. We have a five month old and a three year old that are much too little to be played with rough like puppies tend to.. and either a firm "NO" or just some "ooo Roxi ouch, no don't do that" has been all we need but in addition to that we have gotten her various chew toys and when she's in the mood to bite or play rough we encourage her to do it with her toys not our clothes or bodies.  :)  good luck and welcome to the forums, there are a lot of nice people with great advice here

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's Lola!  Thanks for all the tips!  Keep the advice coming!
I tried to attach pictures...hope it worked.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We used a loud "OW" when our nipped.  It was loud enough to get their attention and for them to know something wasn't right.  It does take time and patience (lot's of patience).  They will outgrow it before you know it.  Ours both will play and act like they are biting your hand but won't close down over our hands.  They are just silly hooligans!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum...Biting is so common in puppies and some correct easy, others it takes a bit more work and ingenuity... :) When your puppy sees that it hurts you when you bite, that does seem to work, I know it did for me..The key is like others have said, be consistent...Everyone must respond the same way, no mixed signals for Lola to pick up on..It may take a few weeks, but boxers are very intelligent and bottom line, they want to please you, so be patient... :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
my pup is 11 weeks old white boxer pup and he loves to nipp too. so i guess me and you going thu the same stuff. congrad. on the pup

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello!
Thanks for all the advice.  I tried the "ow" thing last night and it seemed to work a little better than saying "no".  I also hid my hands behind my back and when I did that she went right for her toys!  Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi and welcome we went through the same thing and are still working on it. Something that works for us is to redirect the nipping. Give her something else to chew on a kong, large ball of some kind, frozen raw bone or one of her toys  just make sure and keep an eye on her

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm convinced Lola is crazy!  "No" doesn't work...."Ouch "doesn't work....walking away from her doesn't work becuase she follows you and bites your pants.  If you sit on the sofa she bites your feet or tries to jump up.  She's nuts!  She goes after your hands really bad, so last night I hide them behind my back and ignored her.....she went around the back of me and started pulling my hair!  I should have named her chompers!  Funny thing...she's really only very aggressive with me.  She'll nip at everyone else, but she'll constantly attack and bite me, I mean full on biting and not letting go.  I was convinced that she didn't like me, but she follows me everywhere....runs right up to me when I get home from work and when she's tired she'll crawl into my lap to fall asleep.  Everyone tells me it's because I baby her and I need to be more aggressive with her.  I'm lost here.  I bought the sour apple spray for our wires and such....I'm thinking of bathing in it :wink:   I appreciate the advice....I'm going to keep trying!  Thanks for letting me unload!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Be patient and try not to lose your cool..It is important to be firm with a boxer pup, otherwise they will run all over you!!! I know that sounds easier said than done, but believe me and I'm sure everyone else who has gone thru the puppy thing will agree, it is a phase and will pass... :) Just a thought, she sounds like she is trying to establish her dominenece over you..Do you know if she's an Alpha or not? Don't let her rule you!!! It needs to be the other way around....

·
Registered
616 Posts
We had a frank discussion with our daughter before we brought ours home.  I was afraid she would not be strongwilled enough to handle a boxer puppy.  We told her she had to be firm about directions and be consistant.  She has done a wonderful job.  They can be a handful.  We have two puppies ourselves.  They can be hard-headed and they will try your patience but they can be taught to mind their manners and it will seem like it happened overnight.  

Be firm with her and keep working with her.  Remember, this is just a phase they all go through and it will be over soon.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree with what Samsonsmom just wrote. I think Lola is considering herself Alpha over you. You need to correct that behavior and show her you are the boss in this pack.
I think bathing in bitter apple spray might burn a bit!  8O Just start showing her you are the boss. I know it's hard not to baby her, but she will learn. I know, I'm the biggest pushover in this house. But, when it comes down to it, I can still show Maddie she is not the Alpha over me.  :wink:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
as im sure everyone here has said, its quite common for puppies to bite us....

with Jessie i would say OUCH loudly, and get up and walk away.  Now of course i had to do this many times for her to get the idea that biting means no more play time, but she did eventually get it... Boxers are smart dogs... Lola will catch on...

·
Registered
521 Posts
i agree with what samsons mom said.  it is VERY important to establish your dominiance.  beckham can get really hyper and spazzy, and will start biting.  its almost as if they're trying to see just how far they can push you.  as samson's mom said, make sure you stay calm (only makes them more excited when you're frustrated).  

when she bites, flip her onto her back, firmly hold snout closed and say "NO," firmly and calmy.  you're going to have to struggle a bit to hold her, but WAIT until she's calm to let her go.  this has been EXTREMELY effective thus far with beckham.  he doesn't bite nearly as much anymore.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
its all about what you feel comfortable doing.  The method Beckham uses  wasnt comfortable for me.  So i chose the ignore method

1 - 20 of 32 Posts