Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was not going to make a post about this but I decided I might feel better to vent it out.

Lost a dog during a surgery today and I am still upset and questioning things....the whole ordeal is just very hard....             I guess you always sit and try to go through each detail in your mind to think about the what and why and what if's......

I wanted to share a little info and then get to my point.....

This was a mix breed dog, female and about 13 years old.  About 1 and a half years ago she had a mam tumor removed and sent off.  It showed as cancer.  We discussed that there may be other places that come back either in the location of this tumor or a new one.  Fast forward to now....about 2 weeks ago they came in and had found another lump.  The dog is now of course older and I did not really want to do this.  I did not feel that removing it would extend the life, but it was open and starting to bleed.  I went through ALL the precautions and possible problems and still they insisted wanting it removed EVEN though they were told it may not make it under sedation......I think now maybe I should have refused, of course there was always that 50/50 chance things could be fine......

Anyway....My point I guess is that as your pets get older of course watch all the lumps and bumps and remember at some age the risk of surgery/sedation has to have weight. If you have a 10 year old plus dog....Always consider your risk!!!!! Sometimes is may be worth it (depending on what is wrong) to leave things alone and have them be there for another one, two, three (who knows how long) years.....Then risk losing them that day!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow Sharon, first sending you some hugs, sounds like you need it. But there is a bit of a lesson for all of us in that story and thank you for pointing it out and bringing it to our attention...Sometimes surgery isn't always the best thing, especially in an aging dog. Obviously I paid close attention to what you said, as Samson ages, that's always a possibility....How sad tho, this couple could have had their baby for a bit longer if they opted not to do surgery....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts