Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a almost a 4 year old American boxer named Zeus, I have almost a 3 year old German boxer named zena. She is a resource guarder with her toys and we have managed that. Recently 2 days ago, I put her food bowl down first because they have tummy issues and I was making sure she didn’t vomit in the morning. Zeus came from outside and went to sniff her and she attacked him. We were able to separate them easily, they were fighting in the air, side mouthing and fighting, not biting down on one another. Now, for the past couple days when we are making their food, she has shown aggression towards him! Not us at all, just Zeus. We have now put her in the crate to eat and when we make the food. Zeus stays out of the crate to eat. I am getting a behaviorist involved and a trainer asap. Is this the right thing to do , or should I put her in a room and not the crate? Or should I put them both in the crate? He is not the aggressive one, he is scared to eat now because of her. He is 86 pounds and she is 60. They are big dogs. She has always been a little more aggressive then him in general due to being a female and almost pure German boxer. Am I doing the right thing?

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Ugh, sorry your having "issues." But the goods news, is you've been warned! It sounds like no dog or person got hurt? And now you know, you clearly have a problem? I luv prefer the girls myself. The female Boxers, and I would say all of them are much more than they seem? Typically the girl's have a very high threshold for BS. Nothing there housemates do bothers them. My baby Girl, had a very high threshold for BS. My Band Dawg used to take her bone form her all the time if she looked away ... no big deal.

But I missed up when I had both dog's in the room while baby kittens were being born. .My dog's luv'd catsI was between them and they were about feet apart. We watched the news kitten's arrive and this I took no note of. But Struddell, just watched each new birth in a silent and Respectful manner. While my Band Dawg thought this pretty exciting stuff right here! So he would bounce and announce each birt with a Loud Bark and then wait for the next kitten.

While Stru remained silent and just watched ... not big deal? But what I did not notice was that Struddell, was getting seriously ticked off at Gunther's .... Lack of Respect!I And at Kitten number five, I think? That was freaking it and by God if Dad was not gonna teach Gunther Respect? Then she would! Gunther was about 8 feet from her as I was in the middle. I just heard a loud roar and she cleared that eight foot distance in a single bound and she was on him??

Gunther yelped (cause she barely got his nose) and Gunther my Band Dawg about 90 lbs and formerly Dog Aggressive, and Stru about 65 lbs just lit into him?? WTH, Gunther just wanted to get the HE&& out of there! Cuz that was Daddy's baby girl, so let him deal with this crap! So Gunther was gone and Stru was still there and just snapping at air and spinning? WTH she was just in a blind rage and I was worried she bash her head on something?

So and not recommend ... I scooped her up and held her head tight next to mine so as not to get bit! And got her outside fast! But she was still Besark and tense, so I did not want to let her loose least she hurt herself? So I just kept hold and rested my body weight on her till she chilled out! And after a few minutes, I felt her relax and let her up. And she looks at me with a big smile as if to say ... "Hey Dad," what's up. And that bit of madness never happened again. Now that is not a situation, that well just about no one else would encounter? Oh and she luv'd people more than treats. That never changed. :)

But back on point and yes. Feed her in the Crate. And next take a look here.:

The basics are the same, and no I don't tend to not address issues "directly?" The goal of those assorted steps is to "Train Calmness and Trust Into The Dog." That usually takes a bit longer.(You have to train Place) and usually that takes about two weeks (I hear.) And a solid "Place Command," is Two Hours! Start at 15 minutes,once the Dog understands the Command and then start adding 15 minutes at a time.

And while I think the clips are pretty clear ... you just say "Place." That is it, not Sit/Stay or Down. The dog just has to remain in well Place and can't leave that Place, until you release her (and it should really be them) done in separate sessions. And it would not hurt, if you did the Two Week Shutdown to start over. Or some version of it (nothing is carved in stone.)

But the part where people really struggle is with "Dog's Free Roaming In The Home." My first GSD taught me about that one! He an issue with my Band Dawg (No Boxer Involvement.) And crap usually starts indoors? And typically "Out of The Blue?" I had to break up fights five times and my dog's were fine and I wound up with stitiches in my hand! I learn slowly ...my bad. Ultimately he turned out to be a great dog! But that's another story.

I would keep certainly "know where they both are." Have the Girl ... Kennel Up," at meal time or if you have to watch her, then yes feed her in a separate room and in the kennel still, cuz that is about discipline.

And it would not hurt to keep a "Drag Leash," on the girl for awhile, indoors if/when she is loose. That would be a short leash with a handle and you grab the leash "if," she nut's up! Also there is nothing wrong with hiring a "Behaviorist." But ... I would recommend a Behaviorist that Deals with "Dog Aggression," and or "Dogs with serious issues! Most of the time ... sigh just look under Germanshepard trainers. Those guys tend to have lot's of experience dealing with "Difficult Dog's." Whoever you find ... should also have a "Demo Dog?" And if they say "I can fix this in a session or two? I'd be a bit Leery?

Hope this helps and ask questions, Welcome Aboard and sorry it's a bumpy ride so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry if chip18 said this but Honestly after 20 min of reading about his dogs I had no clue...lol Sorry. Just separate the two (gate, fence, diff room, indoor/outdoor etc.) during feedings. Alternate switches so they don't get protective over a feeding "spot". This is common for many multiple dog parents. Even litter mates can start to exhibit aggression years later for no recognized reasons. Mom's used to feed the crazy Chihuahua in the bathroom or shed attack the big two during dinner. The same big two she would bring her babies to and cuddle with.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
LOL, well I say a lot of stuff. But if people are content with the separate feeding and can make sure they don't screw up for at least 10 years or so? They can go with that, just you know ... don't screw up. Because you will not address the "underlying issues" you just avoid them.

But I prefer to try and address , the underlying Issues? I want my dog's to live together all the time. And that takes time and effort. Or you know "hire someone," and if they are Good? They will tell you a few of the same things I did? And while looking for a "Behaviourist," if they mention, The Place Command and icing on the cake ... "Sit On The Dog?" Go with them. :)

·
Administrator
7,184 Posts
I’m a multi dog house hold and everyone has their own feeding areas. We teach our dogs to respect each other’s personal space at meal time. No one is allowed in the kitchen when I am preparing the meals. They are taught to stay on the dog beds and wait until they are called one at a time. Once done eating they go back out of the kitchen…not wander about trying to clean up crumbs. All bowls are then picked up and removed to be washed.
It takes time and consistency but it works well for our crew of 4.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I’m a multi dog house hold and everyone has their own feeding areas. We teach our dogs to respect each other’s personal space at meal time. No one is allowed in the kitchen when I am preparing the meals. They are taught to stay on the dog beds and wait until they are called one at a time. Once done eating they go back out of the kitchen…not wander about trying to clean up crumbs. All bowls are then picked up and removed to be washed.
It takes time and consistency but it works well for our crew of 4.
Man how come I am always, that guy? :)

No doubt this is "excellent advise!" And I can and would do that, the second I added a new puppy. No doubt as "now many,many years later ... I understand the value of Structure, in a dog's life.'Two dog's was my limit back in the day. I went up to three and "Crap went sideways?" Now mostly my choice of Dog was a huge factor but not my point.

My Bella (Boxer/Pit) is my worst trained dog "kind off?" She won't "Door Bolt," however (I have big issues with that kind of crap.) But aside from that ... She does alot of crap that I never would have allowed in the past. Aside from free roaming in the house, jumping on the furniture at will and "presses crap in the kitchen." I find, most of her silly crap, cute and I let it go ... so much so that, she is really kinda of a counter surfer? Just in front of the Microwave at meal times? I see her there but whatever ...

But if I added a second Dog, that crap would change. But I can do that. Because I would tell "Bella Place!" And most likely, point to the sofa ... yeah I know? That is on the furniture but ... I learned that works (also) from someone else ... my bad?

But hey it work, My point being ... what you advise I could do ... no big deal. I'd only have to "train the puppy," in "Place." Not Two Dog's at once? But someone that has there rules "Dog's" rule the house and has no kind of structure in the home at all? You have to start fron ground zero? ANd that would be "Place Command." Start at the bottom and go from there. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts