Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy has diarrhea again! She has been off the medication for 5 days now and it started on Sunday. She was doing so good! The only thing that changed was, of course, no medication in five days. I also started adding the Dogzyme Digestive Enhancer and Nutro Ultra Canned puppy food (maybe a tablespoon -just enough to add some flavor to the dry kibble) since I ran out of the A/D that the vet gave me. What the heck??? Oh, I did run out of pumpkin so she did go almost two days without that and that is roughly when it started going downhill again. Any suggestions? Gosh, it is so frustrating...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sorry to hear that, wish I had some ideas.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would (IMO) go back to a basic bland diet of boiled chix and brown rice.   Get her on it for a bit to clean out whatever is inside not binding her stools.   Get her firmed up and then try to transition back to reg kibble.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally, Lucy is all better and we have solid stools again...I ditched the canned food altogether. They get dry kibble, a tablespoon of pumpkin, and the digestive enzyme enhancer. Thank goodness I finally found a good combination!!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sharonL\";p=\"56589 said:
Glad she is doing better...maybe the can food was just to rich for her regular stomach without the meds....
You are probably right - I have never been a big fan of the canned foods anyway. I just felt bad because I ran out of the A/D that the vet gave me but with the pumpkin in there, they scarf it up just the same so all is good. Funny thing, as soon as I get the can of pumpkin out, one of our cats appears for his share. Cat likes pumpkin...and he is the finicky one, go figure!!!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Im glad she is feeling better!! Canned food and Roxy dont mix too well either!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
good thing she's feeling better and I'm glad you found a good recipe for her. Milo and canned food don't get along at all...the two times he got canned food he threw it up EVERYWHERE and there was a LOT. ick.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Thats great, I have heard that canned food will do that, never tried it with Kiah.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I was putting water on the Merrick Puppy plate to make a gravy and the babies had soft stool... Quit the water and it firmed up.  I think dry kibble is just better all the way around...
Glad she is feeling better now.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote="Mom2BoNLaila\";p=\"56676":e31hw08e]I was putting water on the Merrick Puppy plate to make a gravy and the babies had soft stool... Quit the water and it firmed up.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Glad to hear you have everything under control.  Sophie doesn't handle the canned food well at all either.  I've learned that just kibble and sweet potatoe chews for treats is what works for us.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Kate\";p=\"56789 said:
sweet potato chews for treats is what works for us.
UGG...wish I could find these somewhere!! I've looked everywhere for them, and all the pet store ppl look at me funny as if to say I'm crazy that they actually make sweet potato chews!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sadiesmomma\";p=\"56849 said:
[quote="Kate\";p=\"56789":31stfmks] sweet potato chews for treats is what works for us.
UGG...wish I could find these somewhere!! I've looked everywhere for them, and all the pet store ppl look at me funny as if to say I'm crazy that they actually make sweet potato chews!![/quote:31stfmks]

I found some at my petsmart with sweet potato in them. The brand is Pet Botanics. They are quite expensive but my pups love them!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad that Lucy is starting to feel better. I bet you could use a food dehydrator and make your own sweet potato chips, just a thought.... :)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
samsonsmom\";p=\"57035 said:
Glad that Lucy is starting to feel better. I bet you could use a food dehydrator and make your own sweet potato chips, just a thought.... :)
Yeah, no kidding, after all the cooking I have been doing for them, I should be used to it, right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts