Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering.....Has anyone tried the baby gate up in the kitchen tecnique??? I was thinking that I want to try that with our babys, since the kitchen is so big and they would have roaming room when we are not home, and it may help getting them used to being able to roam complely free. Think this is a good idea???

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You could try it......but, remember to puppy proof really well. Move everything on the counters either off, or way in the back. I know that Tyson probably can't reach up there now but he will real soon. Also, make sure he can't get into any cabinets with any cleaners or chemicals in them. Basically go over the room like you would for baby proofing. Also, make sure that they can't jump or move the gate. Try it for 10 minutes one day, then 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and so on. Good Luck with it!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese jumps over the baby gate-didnt work for us. At first she clawed at it until she knocked it over. Then she learned to jump it and it went downhill from there. Since tyson is still small it may work for a while

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about it because I have a 4 day weekend, just to try while I go run errands, like you said a little at a time. The kitchen is baby proof already, and its all stainless steel and tile. Im such a neat freak lol the only things on my counters are the sugar and flower containers. and they are back against the wall. Even the pots and pans hang from the celing. and I can barely reach them lol. The cabinets have little child locks on them, and they make me mad when im in a hurry.... so I think with Tyson's attention span, he will get bored way way way before he can open them.  I hope it works, It will make me feel a lot better than leaving him cramped in that crate. BTW- Tyson oficially sits, rolls over, fetches, and speaks on command WITHOUT A TREAT!! its just getting him to listen when he doesnt want to that I have to work on next lol. 12 weeks old this weekend. look for pics later on....

·
Registered
462 Posts
At one point we had about 8 gates up in our house. It got to the point where Zoie would climb them even when they were doubled. Also, we had to totaly puppy proof the kitchen. Cabinets had child locks, all the drawers had to have stuff taken out. Im soooooooo glad she out grew her madness and Gunner is NOTHING like she was. Whewwwwwww.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Can't wait to see pictures! I haven't tried baby gating... What usually happens is.. When I'm in the market for a puppy, I schedule it around school and make sure the puppy is ready to go when I'm done.. That way I can housetrain/crate train for  3-4 before I go back to school.. But then I'm usually only there for 3 hours a day.. So I don't feel all that bad leaving them in their crates if they can't be trusted yet...

·
Registered
245 Posts
We have a gate up in the kitchen for the dog and my niece....Xena can't jump over it and it holds Bella in sooo its worked for us. We had to have someone come in though and bolt it to the wall....Xena use to knock it over.

·
Registered
302 Posts
tyson429\";p=\"10125 said:
Just wondering.....Has anyone tried the baby gate up in the kitchen tecnique??? I was thinking that I want to try that with our babys, since the kitchen is so big and they would have roaming room when we are not home, and it may help getting them used to being able to roam complely free. Think this is a good idea???
Unless it's an extremely lazy 8-week old puppy, my bet would be that a Boxer would either knock-down or jump a baby gate.  If not now, it certainly would in the not-too-distant future when the puppy gets a little bigger and stronger.

I know Odin would plow-through a baby gate at his current age/size (three and a half months old).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
um, ya, baby gate in kitched failed....terribly!!! he doesnt knock it down or jump over it, he climbs it. so....we moved his crate into the living room and hes not crying in it anymore. he even goes in it by himself when hes tired. oh well, I tried.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
We have the baby gate and jessies cage folded up, blocking her off from the living room and B/R

·
Registered
780 Posts
We have used it with Ziggi the whole time and he is actually scared of it.  It fell over when he was younger and the noise scared him so now he is still scared of it.....we don't even have to snug it up to the wall can just lean it against the door opening and he won't go near it (he is 83lbs and very tall)!  :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
8O lol, Tyson isnt scared of anything accept the noise that I make before I say no. its like a uh-uh but real loud and raspy. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts