Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Kiah and I were on our walk Saturday am, we saw a puppy Cocker Spaniel walking towards us.  I try to make Kiah heel when we come up to someone (dog or person) and she is pretty good about doing it now.  As we got closer, the leash got tight and when I turned around Ki was down flat on the ground with her head down on the ground too and I couldn't get her to move.  She didn't look scared and after the puppy went by she sat up acted like she wanted to play.  I have never seen her (or any dog) do that before but we have never come across a dog that small in our walks.  There are small dogs in our obedience class and she is never agressive or tries to play rough with them.  Does anyone know why she did that?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't know.. Does she have a submissive personality?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I hope a Boxer isn't submitting to a Cocker Spaniel!  We have a Cocker next-door that is exactly one month older then Odin...

Odin doesn't like the Cocker next door and would like nothing more then to eat him... the Cocker thinks it's funny and tries to get swallowed whenever he gets the chance!

Boys will be boys I guess (Odin is now considerably larger then the older Cocker too).

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No if anything she is dominant that is why it surprised me so much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Barb-was she laying on her side, or was she crouched down?  Trigger will crouch down flat when he sees another dog (as if he's hiding or something)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was laying flat on her tummy with her paws stretched out and her head on the ground stretched out.  Kind of like when they are getting ready to take off and do the boxer burn but more settled and layed back.  Definately alert to the little puppy.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie does the same thing.  I think she is waiting for the other dog to react.  Some times her butt will rise in her play stance, or she will just stand up and stare at the dog

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie doesn't go quite as low but he does something similar.  It's his way of playing.  I notice him and Sadie both doing this.

·
Registered
948 Posts
When Toby is playing with my boyfriend's pitbull, he gets down in that border collie stalking position... Thats when he's waiting to pounce..

·
Registered
405 Posts
teheheh, we have a boxer and a cocker and I will say, there are times that the boxer is submissive to the cocker, but typically, it's the other way around. tehhe...cockers are naturally extremely submissive as a result of the mothers' parenting skills during those early weeks (reason for the common submissive peeing in cockers, the mothers are pretty brutal).

Anyways...Abby sometimes does that too when she's waiting for Brady to play with her...usually not down on the ground flat but she does do that to their chocolate lab friend...I always think she is preparing to pounce but yesterday surprisingly, she remained in that position while he walked right up to her...she missed her prime pouncing opportunity!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes! Like the one on the left without the toy.  I really kind of expected her to jump up and try to pounce on the puppy as it was passing us but she just sat up and looked at it.  I guess she was confused that the puppy didn't want to play :lol:

Great picture, beautiful dogs

·
Registered
342 Posts
they both do that, I almost think they are trying to trick the other one into thinking they are being submissive only to pounce once they take the bait

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly does the same thing, but I watch the other dog and I have found that if teh other dog is behaving as though it is afraid of Lilly (such as a small dog to a larger one) she will drop down like that.  She does it to put the other dog at ease and let them know she would rather play than have them as snack.  LOL!!  Next time (if there is a next time) try to read your dog and the other dogs' body language.  You'd be surprised what they are telling each other and you.

Liz and Lilly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts