Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, I'm still new to this forum. I've had my chief, brindle male boxer since jan 1 2008. he's about 9 weeks old now.
I've had the normal check ups and had his first set of shots this past Monday morning.

Something that has been concerning me is his lack of appetite. The breeder started him out on puppy chow, after a week I started him on Natro natural choice. He did okay but had really really bad farts. Then someone at Petsmart recommended authority, which he did well on till I ran out and I figured I give him some better graded chow. Currently I am trying to get him to eat Purina pro plan. he eats it sometimes when I mix wet food with it but i don't want to do that all the time. its gotten to the point where I have to place the bowl in front of his face and entice him to eat.

He does look kind of skinny and I'm looking to get him looking a lot better. He's a very happy go lucky dog, and the vet has told me his stool samples are just fine and seems to be nothing wrong with him.

Could he just be a very picky eater?

Should I switch him to something else or is there a trick to get him to eat/enjoy his food no matter what it is?

Any information/help would be grateful.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
puppies that age go through growth spurts, just as humans do.  I was so worried when jessie stopped eating for a couple of days, i was calling the vet everyday.  As long as they are still playful and going to the bathroom regularly, theres really nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
893 Posts
My Delila was a horrible eater for the first 2 months, I had to mix her food with some canned food, warm water, chicken, broth, gravy, peanut butter. Sometimes I actually had to hand feed her. She started to eat but I had to try various kibbles. Make sure you transition her slowly as not to upset her tummy.

G

·
0 Posts
It sounds like maybe with all the switching of foods that he may have a bit of a digestive upset?  It takes about a month for a dog to switch from one food to the next...if he is only 9 weeks...and you've already switched him twice now, that could very well be causing him an upset tummy...and I know when my belly hurts I don't like to eat much!  How long had he been on the Nutro?  How long on the Authority?  How long on the new pro plan?  I would suggest buying some of the authority (small bag) and going back to a 3/4 authority 1/4 pro plan mixture for a week, the next week 1/2 and 1/2, the third week 1/4 authority 3/4 pro plan, and the 4th week all pro plan.  He may just need some time to adjust.

My little girl Jetta never had much of an appetite as a small puppy and was extremely thin...she started eating much better when we began feeding her in the crate...i think she has some sort of puppy ADD lol...you might try that too...we also sometimes would add a small amount of warm water to her food which seemed to get her more interested in the food...I wouldn't add anything for long, you don't want him to start turning down food later if the additives are not in it.  For a treat to fatten him up a bit you could give him a kong stuffed wtih peanut butter...he'll love you forever if you do!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Teaki was like that.  She didn't eat much as a puppy and many times when she did she threw it up.  For her she did have a sensitive stomach and it took trial and error with different foods to see which one worked for her.  Ziggi as a puppy would sometimes want to eat all day long and then other times maybe once or twice a day.  Like others said they go threw growth spurts.

G

·
0 Posts
thinking the same as aquagirl.... switcing the diet that often could possible be the proble. I had that when i had to go to an affordable fopod they dogs here wouldnt touch it...so i had to do the mixing which cost more to me buying 2 kinds but in the end they got over being picky. but yeah...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ok, I also have to ask the same thing Sully did, if you brought home a puppy at 5 weeks, there in lies a lot of the problem...A reputable breeder will not let pups go til at least 8 weeks...So many food changes in such a young pup is not good...At 5 weeks he is just getting the hang of solid food and changing quickly can upset that belly, which Boxers are prone to sensitive stomachs anyways...Find a food, stick with it for at least a month or so, before switching and then do a changes very gradually....I usually transition food over a month's time....Also, all premium foods will not agree with all Boxers...Find what works and stick with it...If you read thru the food section you will see that many of us have had to go theu MANY foods to find just the one that works and a lot of times it sure isn't the highest quality. At the end of the day, feed what works best with YOUR Boxer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes the breeder sold him to me at 5 weeks. i know now that he should have been sold at 6 or 8.
i will definitely try the mixtures of authority and pro plan.
I've heard of mixing some egg into the his food too. is that good for him?

G

·
0 Posts
I gave Jetta at a young age 1/2 an egg in her food a couple of times a week..made her gobble it up really quick.  Also if the pup is having loose stool from the switch, you can add a very small amount of pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, just plain pumpkin) this will give a little additive and help firm up the loose poop..not sure if you are having this issue...but it happens a lot with food changes...do you have any pics of you little one?  And don't feel bad, you didn't know about the age thing, more their fault than yours.  I got Jetta on her 6 week birthday, and now i realize that is too young also...but with a little extra work, love, attention and socializing your baby will be fine...you just have to teach him all the things he would have learned from mom and siblings in that extra 3 weeks..ie bite inhibition, getting used to dogs, etc

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Personally I wouldn't mix anything.  Pick a kibble, soak it with warm water (or milk) and don't mix anything else in.  This poor pup has been through way too much too early.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
weird thing is i really didnt have to socialize him to any dogs or people. he naturally wanted to go meet them, lick them all over and play. if he cant get to them he starts to whimper.
i will go back to authority puppy food cause he did very well  with that and see what happens.
i will try and post some pictures of him.

G

·
0 Posts
lol...that describes my Jetta to a tee, lol...I broke soo many rules with her...took her to my mom's house to meet them and her dogs on the day we got her (dogs were fully vaccinated) she was just sooo curious and loving even then...then took her to my aunts' to meet her and her vaccinated dog...again...loving and sweet...then my dad's to meet him and his dog...lol...she has been socialized from day one and looking back on it...if I could have waited 2 extra weeks, I prolly would have...but I do not regret not waiting as she seems to be fine at this point (6 months old now) and fully socialized, smart, sweet, loving and adorable...can't wait to see the pics

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I first got Harvey he was about Chief's age.  I stressed over his "thinness" and lack of interest in eating.  He's now 7 1/2 months old and awesome.  It seems that boxers take "spells" with their eating and certainly have "spurts" in growing.  

I am thinking of trying Authority from Petsmart ...

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts