Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet Ryn (Ren), I was planning a a boxer brother for Kai as I know my daughter will eventual move out and take him with her and I wanted to train a puppy (if I did get one before I got older than I am now.)

Anyway long story I've also looked at standard poodles and applied to adopt a 7 month old. It didn't work out as she was already promised. So several people that I talk with pointed me in the direction of a pup. A lady who is 3 hours away from me was delivering a poodle puppy about 20 minutes from my house. She said well I'll bring 2 and just look and see if you may be interested.
Yeah me look at puppies and not bring them home, fat chance... So here he is 9 weeks old.
[/ATTACH]

I am presently sleep deprived, lol probably for the next few days but he is catching on pretty fast. Wish me some sleep!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. Kai and his brother Renn now get along much better. Puppy isn'[t constantly biting at him anymore. That makes Kai a happy boy as his loves this puppy but was saddened by the constant puppy biting. Much better now.
IMG_1398-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just an update. Kai and his brother Renn now get along much better. Puppy isn'[t constantly biting at him anymore. That makes Kai a happy boy as his loves this puppy but was saddened by the constant puppy biting. Much better now.
View attachment 124268
Nice!

Heard poodles are very intelligent and pretty easy to train. Do you find that to be the case?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice!

Heard poodles are very intelligent and pretty easy to train. Do you find that to be the case?
Yes they are very intelligent, sometimes too much so. They think...just have to get them to think the right way. I find they are bouncier than boxers, well at least my boxer who is very laid back. He can do all the basics sit, down, wait at door, focused heel, sniffing walk, and finds "it" ball, newspaper. He is learning words. I don't find him stubborn he wants to please however he is super energy and thats the most difficult part as there are times he just wants to jump 5 ft in the air or come running to leap in my lap even if I'm standing. LOL He is time consuming. The boxer really can't handle the long walks in the heat here he gets hot so fast, the pup with his very long snout handles it better, so far .

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is great news! They look very happy together. How did you get puppy to dial it down???
I pretty much have kept him tethered to me and just do a correction when he bites, when he is good he had loose tether so I could still correct. Now he can just be off leash completely and he will listen if he starts. He is starting to look at me before he does something wrong, lol like hmm ok I'm going to do this? or not. LOL

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I pretty much have kept him tethered to me and just do a correction when he bites, when he is good he had loose tether so I could still correct. Now he can just be off leash completely and he will listen if he starts. He is starting to look at me before he does something wrong, lol like hmm ok I'm going to do this? or not. LOL
Aww interesting??? Apparently the whole "Look at me thing" is a big deal???

And near as I can tell Poodles are Number One, on the doggie IQ charts! Boxers and Mal's (I'll add) not so much??? Biddability as I understand it?? How many times is a command repeated before the dog gets it??? Boxers and Mal's are mid pack ..."what you want to do ... is not as interesting as what I want to do," and in Boxers ... the girls are especially, "Pig Headed." :chair:

Still compared to "Bull Mastiffs, Bull Dogs and Basenjis, ... Boxer's look like Einstein! The bottom 100 those dogs are!

My name sake "Chip" was from my "Basiniji" growing up! LOL he was actually brilliant but he was a rolling liability! He did not care for other dog's and was pretty particular about what people he found acceptable! Don't tick him off if you over and you'll be fine??? :)

As an adult when I was looking for my first dog, I scratched Basenjis off my list!
I did not have the time or energy for that crap! Surprisingly enough he lived to be 17 or so??? I never thought that would happen!! One highlight as to how "Badass" they could be! I had to body tackle him to stop him from attacking a Horse and Rider!!! The horse looked at him wrong or something, I don't know?? But it sounds like your doing well with your Poodle. :)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chip Yes its going well...most times now I really was thinking I made a mistake but now the good is out weighing the bad.LOL Its time and maturity and training everyday.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yes they are very intelligent, sometimes too much so. They think...just have to get them to think the right way. I find they are bouncier than boxers, well at least my boxer who is very laid back. He can do all the basics sit, down, wait at door, focused heel, sniffing walk, and finds "it" ball, newspaper. He is learning words. I don't find him stubborn he wants to please however he is super energy and thats the most difficult part as there are times he just wants to jump 5 ft in the air or come running to leap in my lap even if I'm standing. LOL He is time consuming. The boxer really can't handle the long walks in the heat here he gets hot so fast, the pup with his very long snout handles it better, so far .
Sounds like you guys are working out great.

I couldn't imagine anything bouncier than my guy for the 1st year. lol

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
couldn't imagine anything bouncier than my guy for the 1st year. lol

LOL meet ay young poodle, maybe because they are lighter boned..this guy can leap 5 ft into the air maybe higher. LOL

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
couldn't imagine anything bouncier than my guy for the 1st year. lol

LOL meet ay young poodle, maybe because they are lighter boned..this guy can leap 5 ft into the air maybe higher. LOL
Lol.

When Zuke was in his lean puppy stage he was able to touch the back of my gf's head(shes 5'3) with his nose. Thank god I got the jumping out of him(took forever), but I noticed since he turned 2 and put way more muscle on he can only jump about 3/4's of that now on command.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
LOL I accidentally taught my Strudell a "helicopter recall??" I did not know, of the "Heel Flip" and I'd recall her and she thought that upon recall bouncing off my chest ... was great fun!!

As she got older faster and heavier that got old fast?? And at 65 lbs and thirty some odd mph bouncing off your chest ... is gonna hurt!!

So on a recall I'd sweep my arm and she decided that meant do a helicopter move?? So on recall at a distance, I'd recall her and before she got to me ... I'd sweep my arm! And she deicide, that meant do a leaping a 360 degree spin in front of me and land at my feet!! Now that was not really my plan?? But 65 lbs of Boxer bouncing off your chest at 30 some odd mph ... get's old fast! Worked out fine! And for those that don't know... recalling a White Boxer at night, when it's snowing??? And you'll hope she's not aiming for your chest!!!

The arm sweep worked out just fine, she'd do a 360 in the air and land at my feet!! Not really my plan??? But it worked out fine ... it was what we'd do. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts