Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My boxer boy loves to kayak with me and recently I have started to look at buying one for us to use. Any suggestions on brand or how big the cockpit should be? He is 60lbs and I'm 5'4, he sits wonderful in the kayak. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
10 foot kayak's are generally wider than 12 footers, which are generally longer. Which fits your need? Length or width? I don't personally kayak with my pup (soon to be) but I do have friends who kayak and from what I'm told, the main difference is length vs width. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's awesome! How did you get him to kayak? We love kayaking but haven't gone with the dog yet. We were never sure how to go about it. Any tips/training method would be awesome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is awesome!
I just took my puppy on his first kayak this weekend. Results were mixed but I hope he takes to it.

I have a sit-on-top we acquired from an in-law. I don't do any serious kayaking (lakes and level 2 rivers) so I cannot help with suggestions :(

Does he sit between your legs in the cockpit? I would love to see pictures one day!

·
Registered
314 Posts
We have a summer home on the Delaware river in shohola pa so I plan to take max kayaking this summer. Have to get him a doggy life preserver. My last dog wouldn't go past his chest in the water and the one before that swam like a rock. He jumped out of our fishing boat, sank to the bottom and I had to dive in and rescue him so I won't be taking any chances with max.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, I took him on a canoeing trip and he loved it! I kayak and he will sit between my legs. He will try to jump in other peoples boats, kayak, or canoe. He does have his own life vest. Thanks for the thoughts!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi all, I took him on a canoeing trip and he loved it! I kayak and he will sit between my legs. He will try to jump in other peoples boats, kayak, or canoe. He does have his own life vest. Thanks for the thoughts!
How do you paddle lol? Do you paddle behind him or is he far in your lap so that you reach in front of him to paddle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4 year-old female (she goes with me on almost all outdoor adventures) and want to get into kayaking. I'm leaning towards inflatable for storage purposes. Does anybody have any suggestions? I've read multiple reviews and have some idea, but would like to hear from boxer parents. As for PFD I think I'm going to go with the Outdoor Hound Granby Life Jacket. I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
This thread is 6 years old and I haven't seen any of the original posters on here, you may want to start a new thread to get more replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts