Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are some dogs more prone to kennel cough than others? Hoosier woke up this morning with a little snot, mostly clear. When I came home at lunch and this evening, I noticed he was a little sluggish. Then in happened. I was running around the yard him , then HACK HACK HACK! I can't tell you how pissed I am! This will be the third time in the 5 months that we've had him. He's been vaccinated and just don't understand why this keeps happening. What's the point of vaccinations? We have some words for the day care we've taken him too and their "screening", but this is rediculous. Is there something else I should know about succeptibility to kennel cough?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
it may not be kennel cough. Just because he is coughing doesnt mean it is kennel cough. I thought the same thing when Reese was coughing and it turned out she had a cold, not KC. I know it doesnt help much but at least there could be another possibility. I hope he starts to feel better soon!!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry sometimes coughs if he's running around a lot and his throat dries out.  

Rocky had kennel cough a couple of times in the first couple of months, but only because Ken (hubby) ran him when doc said to keep him still! :roll:

Good luck with the little feller!   :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made an appointment at the vet just in case, but it started out this same way the last few times he had it. I keep an eye out and hope for the best. We were supposed to do a pet walk to support a local animal shelter this Saturday.  :cry:

·
Registered
508 Posts
All 3 of mine got KC as well about a month ago if not 2 and i have heard Zeus hack a few times since weve gotten rid of it. From what i have heard just because they have gotten vaccinated for it, doesnt mean they wont catch it again, and thats what i have been worried about for mine, because i dont like to see them feeling miserable. But good luck and hopefully it goes away whatever it might be. {{{{{{{{Healing Vibes}}}}}}}}}

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
HoosiersDaddy\";p=\"31139 said:
He's been vaccinated and just don't understand why this keeps happening. What's the point of vaccinations? We have some words for the day care we've taken him too and their "screening", but this is rediculous. Is there something else I should know about succeptibility to kennel cough?
There are many strains of Infectious Tracheobronchitis.  The vaccine is normally Bordetella for Bordetellosis, which is a more common one.  Where getting the vaccination is a help and boarding places doggie day care's and all recommend/require it.  It is not going to protect against all strains. I seldom vaccinate for this unless someone ask for it and when they do it is because they are boarding or going for grooming or training and that place requires it. I find that the nasal one hardly works anyway.  I feel the injection is better, but that is my opinion.

The name

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bayla had a weird almost "sniff" last night.  I can't tell exactly what was wrong, I never thought about kennel cough or just a cold?  She has very bad allergies so I usually attribute her sniffles and hacks to allergies as it's usually this time of year that they are the worse for her...and ME :)

Hope he feels better soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts