Since the vaccine for kennel cough does not cover all the strains of it, it is still possible to sometimes catch it even if vaccinated. If they start him on antibiotics on Monday then by the following week I would think he would be okay to proceed with the neuter, it would all depend on is he has kicked it by the week. Usually with a stronger antibiotic like Zenequin or Simplicef they can kick it quick. You would have to talk to your vet about that and what they think.
If he is still sick and coughing when it is time for surgery IMO, I would postpone it! You dont want any throat irritations while under sedation.
Has he been diagnosed with KC or does he just have a slight cold?? Also the Vet is the one who will make the decision, but sometimes you gotta use your gut. IMO I would want my dog to be 100% healthy with an immune system thats not worn down before going under for anything - thats just me. I always like dog 100% heathy when going under anathesia.
After reading about the symptoms of KC on the internet, I assume that is what it is, but i'm not a VET. The past 3 or 4 nights it has been routine that he has been doing this. I'll see what the VET says and keep you posted.
Kiah had gotten a slight case of KC when she went to daycare one time but the vet would not give her anything since it was so minor. I agree with the others, before surgery I would want Kiah to be at 100% so she wouldn't be at risk anymore than necessary.
Are they sure it's kennel cough and not bronchitis? Our Boxer had kennel cough he contacted from some pups at the vet and the cough was fairly constant, and not just at night. The rescue pup we have coughed like a smoker at night, but not during the day. The rescue was treated with Doxy and the cough was gone in two days. Either way it won't hurt to wait awhile for the surgery.