Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.kennelcough
For dogs 2 years old and older you can try giving them pediatric robitussin. The recommended dosage is 4 times a day, for 5-7 days. If your pet is still experiencing kennel cough after a week, then it’s time for a trip to the vet.

Is this true??? my boy Sam is miserable, can i use this.. i just dont know, seems a little odd that it would be that simple

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
dextromethorphan and guaifenesin are safe for dogs, but a lot of human cough medicines also contain other ingredients (like acetaminophen / tylenol / caffeine) that are NOT safe, so you need to read the labels very carefully.

I would recommend giving an astragalus capsule and 1/4 teaspoon of Vitamin C powder to boost the immune system and a spoon of honey to soothe the throat.

If you think the kennel cough has progressed to an upper respiratory infection then you might need antibiotics from the vet.

Hope Sam feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I agree with Lynne the only other thing I might add is oregano oil. Like coconut oil it has antifungal antibacterial antiviral properties. I have never used it but I know people who swear by it for themselves when they are starting to get a cold. Its also safe for dogs

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, he is going to the vet today at 10:15.. in about 45 minutes.. i am going to ask him about a cough medicine for him, and i am positive they will give him antibiotics.. the rest of the dogs have pretty much kicked it, but poor old Sam isn't doing as well with it as the other three.. neither of us slept much last night.. we may have gotten a few hours between me giving him honey, and trying to soothe him as best i could.. my poor baby :(
I just want him to feel better, and get some much needed rest..

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Awwww! I hope the vet gives him some meds that will make him feel better fast!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, his lungs are clear, the vet gave him a shot and some antibiotics.. he is breathing a lot easier already.. he is actually panting, whereas before the dr. visit he wasnt.. he was just doing a seal cough.. i love my vet he is awesome..

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sam only woke up once last night!! very happy about that, I gave him 'Zarbee's natural childrens cough syrup' ingredients are Proprietary blend of dark honeys, water, sscorbic acid ( vitamine C) zinc gluconate, grapefruit seed extract and citric acid. It seems to be working pretty well, i give it every 4 hours to control his cough. he is still laying around a lot.. but i would to if i felt as bad as he does.. he is drinking and eating a little bit.. i am going to go get him some chicken noodle soup today.. i imagine his throat is very sore from all of that coughing.. my poor baby

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Sasasola, he seems to be doing better.. didnt wake up at all last night.. he still has a runny nose.. the other 3 are nearly over it as well... he is drinking water, going today to get some chicken noodle soup.. didnt do it yesterday.. the vet said it may give him a little diareahh.. so i am waiting to see if he will eat on his own.. may do canned food instead.. sounds like a better idea to me anyway.. all four of them are laying on the couches right now.. snoring up a storm.. lol.. Justice has been limping.. geeze.. favoring his front right leg.. same one that got the wierd bite on it.. i think he strained it though, we have been playing a lot of fetch the past couple of days.. he seems stiff when he first gets up from laying down.. and then he seems to loosen up.. so we are not playing fetch for a few more days to see if it will correct itself.. if not.. yet another visit to the vet.. there is minimal if any swelling.. but it is warm to the touch.. well it was last night, but not today.. anywho..

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Great that he slpet through the night! Sleep helps the body heal.

I hope Justice's leg is ok and that it's just a sprain!

I have 3 mosquito bites on my left ankle that have been there for about 2 weeks. They just stopped itching yesterday and I've been doing my best not to scratch them. The one closest to my ankle got quite swollen and I actually felt issues bending my ankle because of the swelling. Hopefully it's just something like that for Justice too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we have some pretty evil 'skeeters' here too.. there is one type that will bite me, and leave bruises.. they must be the species that phlebotomists use to get their needles from.. anyhow.. i dont think it is a bite of any kind, lol.. it is just a sprain, i am pretty sure.. i have been 'making' him take it easy.. he doesnt like it, and wants to RUN RUN RUN.. PLAY PLAY PLAY.. but.. he CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T, hahah.. being 10 months old makes it hard on a body and mind to be still.. he is pouty, and has whimpered a couple of times.. but everyone else is being still, and i guess he decided to do that to, for the time being..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sam only woke up once last night!! very happy about that, I gave him 'Zarbee's natural childrens cough syrup' ingredients are Proprietary blend of dark honeys, water, sscorbic acid ( vitamine C) zinc gluconate, grapefruit seed extract and citric acid. It seems to be working pretty well, i give it every 4 hours to control his cough. he is still laying around a lot.. but i would to if i felt as bad as he does.. he is drinking and eating a little bit.. i am going to go get him some chicken noodle soup today.. i imagine his throat is very sore from all of that coughing.. my poor baby
Hello how much should I give my dog? He’s about 50-60 lbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts