Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings esteemed Boxer parents.

I'm outta town next weekend, and my care plan for Opie fell through.

There's lots of kenneling services, but I'm nervous about it without a recommendation from others who I know would care about their dog's well being: you guys, in other words!

Any thoughts? Opies going on 2 years.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My favorite is SleepRover, it's in the NE on McKnight and Deerfoot.

Aspen broke her leg there three years ago and I was incredibly impressed by the way the owner handled the situation. That incident spurred the owner to implement a policy about how to handle injuries with the dogs at the kennel, how long to wait to hear back from the owner before seeking vet care, how to handle vet bills if the owner is upset and wont pay, etc etc. She also gave us $500 worth of free daycare, and treats us like royalty when we're there. She'll let me drop Aspen off early, pick her up late, make special arrangements, all with no additional fees. I should add the broken leg was a total accident and not due to negligence on the part of the staff who are all wonderful.

It is an open concept facility so the dogs are allowed to mingle and play during the day and are kenneled only to sleep and eat. They also have a huge outdoor space.

For a while they weren't accepting new clients unless by referral so if you need to tell them Jess Eustace and Aspen referred you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jess,

Thank you so very much for this. I'll call in the morning and drop your name, and note how highly you speak of their program!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the sounds of the open concept. Opie loves to socialize. Maybe I should really find him a sister....

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
my friend boards their boxer at gem ridge and have nothing but amazing things to say
I've heard about these guys but I've never used them because they are a kennel facility. The dogs get out three times per day, but for the rest of the time they are inside a cage. It doesn't matter if they call it a "room", it's a cage and Aspen would not do well in that environment. I'm sure they take great care of the dogs though as I've also heard good things about them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it turns out theres a new client wait list.

For the time being they recommended Springbank--a vet run facility apparently. Any thoughts on their programme?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
So it turns out theres a new client wait list.

For the time being they recommended Springbank--a vet run facility apparently. Any thoughts on their programme?
It depends on what you're looking for. I like open concept facilities where the dogs mingle and play together. Aspen went once to a facility where she was kenneled when she wasn't out playing/walking and she was extremely stressed out - panting excessively, barking, pacing, wouldn't sleep, etc. She is kennel trained but it was such a different environment for her that she was not happy (when I say "kennel" I don't mean her kennel like she has at home, it's a concrete area with a chain link gate on the front). She was well cared for and got out for walks/play time three times per day, but she still was not happy with her "down time" in her kennel. So my number one criteria is that she stays at an open concept facility.

We have used Bow Dog in the past, and I like that all of their staff have gone through the same obedience training program that Aspen and I have done, so they are good with being consistent with her training. However, I have a friend that worked there and she said they have gotten so crazy busy that she felt there needed to be more staff for the number of dogs that they had, which obviously isn't ideal. So it's my second choice if Aspen can't get in at Sleep Rover.

It looks like at Springbank the dog has their own kennel with an attached outdoor run that they only get access to 4 times per day, and you have to pay extra to have them go out in a social group to play during the day. I don't like that arrangement very much.

I've never used them before, but I've heard really great things about Happy Tails Pet Retreat in Cochrane, but I've never used them because again the dogs are in kennels when it's not their turn to be out for exercise/socialization.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jess,

Thanks for this further info... I'll check out Bow Dog aswell before making a dcision.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Ok this is a bit much! Not your fault OP ... these very old thread's pop up a lot for some reason now ... but this one ticks me off!

Update ... Aspen sadly pasted away unexpectedly a few years ago and Jessmke disappeared shortly there after. I remember them as Aspen in his "All Weather Dog," was one of my favorite dog's.

Aspen.jpeg

They had moved up to his new home in Alaska when he passed away unexpectedly. RIP Aspen ... I don't know why or how these very old post keep popping up ... but I did not like this one ... just saying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts