Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a boxer, a larger dog instead of small dog. By doing the research, I understand boxers yearn for human circle. However, I work most of the day time and wondering should I, or could I, keep him outside. I have sizeable backyard. If kept indoor all day, how do you handle his potty issue? Larger dogs have larger poops, I don't know if I can let it (smell) stand indoor all day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have any flexibility during the day to let your dog out?  My personal opinion would be to keep the dog indoors; to keep itself from harm.  Boxers can be VERY creative diggers, and can pull houdini acts (escape from amazingly secure places).

My cooper dug under my sister's fence and escaped when he was 6 months (and about 40lbs!!)  Luckily, he's a big softy, and got scared and just wimpered from the other side.  Had my sister not been home though; who knows where he would've ended up?  Also, I am fearful of dog nappers.  A few years back, we had an increased rate of dogs (particularly boxers& rotties) being stolen.  The thought from the city police dpt was that they were using the dogs as "bait" for dog fights; or training them to dogfight.  We live in a very nice Suburban area, so yes it can happen anywhere!!

I don't want to scare you from ever letting your dog out, I just wouldn't advise it if you aren't there to check on him.  As long as he gets plenty of activity/ exercise when you are home, he'll be fine!

If you do decide to keep him outside, by law he needs some sort of shelter, such as a doggie house incase of bad weather.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the reply. Still my concern is leave him at home alone for almost all day.  I feel it's cruel to leave a dog alone without any company, especially social dogs such as boxers.  But friends told me that most dogs are left at home alone all day, and that's o.k. If with human company, it's better of course.  Is it  o.k. to leave a boxer at home alone all day? Would he develop any behavior problems?  Again, how does one handle the potty situation if a boxer is left inside the house for all day?  I could occasionally drop in and check, but not everyday.  I do have a large bathroom I could confine him into, just don't know if it would be too cruel for locking him in all day. I am beginning to think that maybe I should put off getting a boxer, or any dog, until I am retired.   :?

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I got my puppy I left a recorder at home to see if he cries as i work straight for 7 hours but he didn't I left him lots of toys and I have made him a door flap to go outside when ever he wants to, I trained him to do his stuff on news papers and slowly I have moved them to outside. It worked and it is amazing how clever they are. You have to be carefull because boxers are meant to be kept indoors.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If left alone during the day they should be in a crate. It is the best way to confine your pet while you are away to keep him out of trouble. ie: chewing furniture, baseboards, wires etc. Ideally, your pet should be let out for potty breaks and exercise every four hours.

Boxers are absolutely dependant upon the companionship of their families. This is not a dog to be left alone unattended for hours on end. They MUST live indoors with their families. It is common to find a Boxer who suffers from separation anxiety. They need to be around people and they thrive on this special companionship. Boxers can develop unwelcome behaviors such as digging, barking and chewing if ignored or not cared for properly. They have the potential to do a great deal of damage (they are powerful chewers) if they are not in a suitable environment.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a boxer, but the more you know about the breed before you get one, the better chance you have to co-exist with one.  Good Luck with your decision and your search, and feel free to ask as many questions as you want to help in your decision.  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Congrats for considering a boxer, but definitely, do your homework and if possible, try and visit some kennels and see how boxers interact..That's what I did, and even with all the reading I did, I still wasn't fully prepared, but then again, are you ever?

Boxers are inside dogs, that short nose of theirs makes them susceptible to heat extremes, be it hot or cold. When I got my first boxer, I lived in Southern Calif, so weather was not an issue...We penned off part of our backyard, built him a dog house and he stayed outside durinng the day. My ex came home at lunch to check on him.. I know, everyone that we were taking a chance on something happening to him staying outside..The only calamity was Buck eating the Malibu lights.... :)

Having said that, I recomend crating..Most dogs learn to think of their crate as a second home and a lot of dogs will go into their crate on their own, just to get away from things..It's not cruel at all to use one, altho my hubby hates to use it for Samson..Any age dog can be crate trained it doesn't have to be a puppy...Samson was 6 before he saw his first crate and does very well...

Boxers are definitely "people" dogs..2 boxers are better than one..They keep each other company, entertained and hopefully out of mischief..That doesn't always work tho....Yes they can do very well having to stay by themselves during the day. mine did when we both were working all day, but be prepared when you get home!!! All that energy is unleashed, but the joy of having someone that happy to see you is priceless...

Hope this was some help & let us know what you decide.. Are you  looking at a puppy or an older dog? If older go through a rescue, but make sure that they are a legit rescue..There have been some instances of some actually being puppy mills...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Boxers are indoor dogs, as they're not physically suited for outdoor weather. Their smushed in noses make it hard for them to cool themselves in summer and their short coats make it hard for them to keep warm in winter. Also, you need to worry about theft, allergic reactions to bee stings and poisioning.

Another member on this forum just lost her little girl because she was stolen from her yard when she had left for only 15 minutes. Just not a chance I'd be willing to take.

If you work longer hours, there are options. You can hire a neighbor to take the dog out, or a dog walker, or take your dog to daycare.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As far as problems with going in the house it takes a little time to potty train them but once they get that you shouldn't have any real problems leaving them home for the day.With that said the general rule of thumb tends to be they should be able to hold it 1hr for every month they are old ( someone please correct me if I am wrong). Crate training is a great way to go to protect your puppy and your home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of people or experts recommending crates, but for 7 or 8 hours during owner's absence? Is it o.k. for a dog to be confined in a crate for that long and hold the bathroom break?  Also, what kind of crate? The big meshed wired ones that can see through or the plastic kind that has less transparency?  As I said, I have a big bathroom that I can fence off and put the crate in there at the same time designate a potty area. But I am afraid that he/she will make a mess playing around with the poop and all that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most dogs will not deficate in their crate b/c they don't like to be trapped with it.  Cooper has been crate trained since birth, really (he's now 1), there have been times when he's in for 7 hours, but not often.  It is a long time for the dog to be left alone anywhere, personally.  Is there anyone that you can hire to let him out, like a dogwalker, or even a neighborhood high schooler who gets out of school earlier than you get home from work?

·
Registered
220 Posts
My neighbor left her dog out and it got poisoned to death.  I never leave Cactus out when I am gone for that exact reason.  I crate him while I am gone but at night and while I am home he gets to roam.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Like advised before, a Crate will be your best training tool! I started my Chato on his crate about 1 mo ago, and he has been doing perfect. There are 2 days where he is crated longer than 6hrs, but I make sure he uses his energy when I get home, weather it be just backyard play or a 10min leash walk/jog. You do not want to take the risk leaving him outside and something happening to him. One day I left my chato outside for about 1hr (i was cleaning my floors). Well, he probably got fustrated so he took it upon himself that our outdoor patio swing's cushion was his new favorite chew toy! I found the yard covered in polyester filling!! My fault, i should've checked up on him more often. This is only a small dilemma, but imagine what could happen. Be safe, invest in a crate.....plus, there is nothing better than having a "big ol muscular" pet lying right next to you while watching desperate housewives! LOL :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts