Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips about proofing behavior around little kids?

I don't have any kids but when we are around kids and they are loud and running around, I have to keep him leashed for at least 5 minutes till the energy level ratchets down. Once I let him off leash he is about 99% ok. Still will occasionally run over start licking a kids face knock him/her over and continue licking. Nothing remotely aggressive just licking and not respecting space. This happens around my nieces and nephews.

I noticed he tends to do it to kids that are just starting to walk to about up to 7-8. My niece is 10 and he is completely respectful of her and her space.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
We have been very lucky with Kai, he doesn't jump on anyone. Not so with the poodle, lol Maybe you could try having him greet each child while leashed and just sit among them and as he calms down then unleash him.
I think its difficult when you do not have kids around all the time. I did babysit when Kai was young so he had some exposure. I do not anymore and the poodle never sees a kid unless in street and he isn't thrilled with running and loud chatter. I probably should find a place with lots of kids playing and just sit in the side lines to get him use to it, but there really isn't anywhere. I seldom see children just out playing.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have been very lucky with Kai, he doesn't jump on anyone. Not so with the poodle, lol Maybe you could try having him greet each child while leashed and just sit among them and as he calms down then unleash him.
I think its difficult when you do not have kids around all the time. I did babysit when Kai was young so he had some exposure. I do not anymore and the poodle never sees a kid unless in street and he isn't thrilled with running and loud chatter. I probably should find a place with lots of kids playing and just sit in the side lines to get him use to it, but there really isn't anywhere. I seldom see children just out playing.
Thanks Linda. Yeah, he never jumps on kids, its more of licking and knocking them off balance. Its tough because he is only in close proximity to kids like once a month, so its hard to do anything consistently.

He is fine with kids playing in the street or yards, will walk right by them, but if its family at the same house its a bit more challenging.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Yeah ... Boxers don't really get that "Toddlers" are not Weebles?? Cause "Weebles Wobble But They Don't Fall Down," but toddlers not so much???

I never had to deal with kids but I did have to deal with the foolishness with Struddell and Rocky (my Woobler GSD) and if he was not on "full kill" ... he was easily knocked off balance. And Struddell, thought of course ... this is cool!

Daddy ... was not amused!! So I taught her "Easy!" And it did work, she stopped hopping on his back to try and knock him over! :)

But you know Rocky was a Dog and he lived with us so lot's of time to work on it. o maybe it just took a week or two for her to learn to "Dial it down!"

But most likely ... you already have trained the one tool you need to get him to get a grip, as it were?? The "Down Command??"

Your gonna have to sat on his A$$ as it were but the second he starts to go over the top with the "Toddler" say "Down!"

Dog's as I always suspected and sigh as I see now ... "Hate" that command! As it means "Playtime Is Over!" Struddell got that ... my new dog ... Bella, (Boxer/Pit) not so much?? I have to wait to tell her elbows drop before ... full compliance ... sigh

But stay on top of him and when he "starts" to get ramped up?? Tell him "Down!" He will figure it out in short order I'm pretty sure. :)

And beyond that and at the risk of looking like some kinda pervert. You can go on walks at lunch time near "kid Day Cares"at lunch time! Lot's of the little monsters out there squealing and caring on.

You can walk the fence line so they can pet him or practice "Sit on the Dog and or Place" so he can ignore them!.

Bella and I did the walk the line thing lot's of little hands reached out to touch her. :)

I did that with "Rocky" also cept I kept my distance as he was a "hands off dog" But he had no problem ignoring them. Hope this helps???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And beyond that and at the risk of looking like some kinda pervert. You can go on walks at lunch time near "kid Day Cares"at lunch time! Lot's of the little monsters out there squealing and caring on.
Lmao!

He is fine with walking by kids. My neighbors kids are pretty young and he will walk right by them off leash. It seems to happen when its my nieces and nephews in a house, or in a backyard. I guess its just repetition.

Anyone have a kid they want to lend me for about a month?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Lmao!

He is fine with walking by kids. My neighbors kids are pretty young and he will walk right by them off leash. It seems to happen when its my nieces and nephews in a house, or in a backyard. I guess its just repetition.

Anyone have a kid they want to lend me for about a month?
Oh I would not think "walking by kids would be a problem???

He sounds pretty much "par for the course." Company comes over and I'm free to lose my doggy mind cause of course .... they are here to see me!!! Lack of "height" just makes "Toddlers" more subject to the Boxer (here to see me) madness. :)

Over excitement with company, was the only "real issue" I had with Struddell.
I'd tell her go to bed and she would but she would plead and whine with her eyes to "company" and I became the bad guy??? So sigh ... screw "OK" i'd say and the antics began! :crazyeye:

But when I added Rocky GSD, over excitement with company ... was no longer an "issue!" The "Place Command" helped to get him to the "nice to see you, when you leaving" point ... good enough. :)

And no way in he$$, would I "EVER" let him near a "Toddler???" Under carefully controlled conditions ... he proved "Clearly" he did not like toddlers, good enough.

But you know "Crap Happens" and while he clearly did not like "Toddlers" he knew how to make "Good Choices" ... the next best thing ... but that's another story. :)

Go ... go with "Down" if/when he gets to be too much with the toddlers ... I'm pretty sure he will figure it out pretty quickly. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts