Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have a 13-week old puppy who to us seems to be aggressive but mostly with us? When he doesn't get his way he'll growl and even snap at us but backs down when told to do so. Usually, he's fine, plays a lot with toys and us, eats well, and sleeps a lot. I've had dogs in the past but never a boxer, is this something we should be worried about?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No he is 13 weeks old. He is still very much just a puppy and people often mistake a Boxers natural playfulness as aggression. How much exercise does the puppy get just playtime? Have you started his training? Now is the time he should be taught NO and to come when called. This little guy also needs to learn his place in the pack too now. No roughhousing with him and encouraging him to bite. Make sure he has plenty of toys to play with and chew items for puppies.

·
Super Moderator
7,106 Posts
Sounds like a very typical boxer puppy who is testing their boundaries. Crate training is a very important and wonderful tool. Have you started puppy obedience classes? Leash training? How many walks a day does your puppy get? Set rules and boundaries. I would not allow the puppy on the furniture at this point. Boxer puppies do well with routines and consistent exercise.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
For a Working Line Dog, I'd say not unusual but for a "Boxer?" Yeah most likely a bit much? He sounds like a great pup to me but that's me. But he does know to know his limitations. And if he is sleeping in the bed with you? And not in a "Crate," it seems like there is trouble brewing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My girl dose then when i hug her, she growls and gets snippy, she will escalate if my husband or my dad try to be Alpha boys shell get defensive but i just look at her and tell her she's so scary in baby talk and she just licks me, tho to be fair we got our girl at 13 weeks and she literally had every parasite known to man... she was a sick little girl ;-;

when she gets aggressive tho its cause shes got the zoomies, tire him out and he'll be to sleepy to be aggressive :3

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Ok you have to establish a new baseline for behaviour, you can't really judge anything just yet if your dealing that was sick? :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok you have to establish a new baseline for behaviour, you can't really judge anything just yet if your dealing that was sick? :(
i dont think her pup is sick i said mine was XD so she was pretty chill at 13 weeks from being super anemic from fleas round worms hook worms and tape worms all at once x.x

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
i dont think her pup is sick i said mine was XD so she was pretty chill at 13 weeks from being super anemic from fleas round worms hook worms and tape worms all at once x.x
Oh, my bad.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
At 13 weeks it s sounds like you have a typical boxer puppy. I really don't find pups that age to be aggressive , just over playful and they get tired, just like a toddler and need their time out for a nap. Now is a time to continue your training, short sessions, a few times a day. When our guy was that age and he got all snippy it was usually because he was over tired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts