Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Seven was dreaming before laying on my bed. He started breathing really heavy (normal dream state for him). Anyway, I got up to fix something to eat and Seven woke and followed me. I went back to my bed and where his butt was sitting there was a wet spot (about a teaspoons worth) with some chunks of feces, very tiny chunks that he had let go while dreaming. Is this anything to worry about? Or was it maybe just him dreaming, or maybe dreaming he was pooping or something?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Zhanna\";p=\"67252 said:
Maybe don't let him back on the bed until you figure it out.
LOL, don't mean to be a smartass, but DUH!  ;-)  

Agreed though - it does sound odd.  I'd definitely ask my vet about it, but chances are it was a singular lack of bowel control brought on by a miniscule diet change, stress, or even weather fluctuations (which affect our animals much more than they do us as a general rule).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sheesh.  I have the attention span of a gnat.  

The main reason I responded to this thread to begin with was to get a chance to say...
OMG, what a gorgeous dog!

So, a bit late, it's been said.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sounds like he had a temp loss of control on his Sphincter Muscle, and that is probably from being in a deep dream state.  There is evidence to suggest that even humans can have this happen.  Reality is being in a deeeeeeeeep sleep in urinating or passing a small bowel in your sleep, either associated to a dream itself or just from being so relaxed.

It could be a one time thing or something Seven does while he sleeps.....But, medical loss of sphincter control would be that he just walks around dripping small amounts of fluid and poop, just as with urinariy incontinence they would drip small amounts of urine or "pee" while sleeping......

I guess my point of all of that is that it sounds pretty normal....He just had a little accident!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmm...I can honestly say I've never heard of this before.  :?  What Sharon just said makes perfect sense to me, and I hope that's all it was...just an accident.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Never had that happen, but after seeing what Sharon said, it definitely makes sense

·
Registered
839 Posts
Never heard of that! Hopefully you will find out what has caused it. I would agree with Sharon, it probably was just because he was so relaxed. Good luck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies! Hopefully it was just because he was dreaming. He has never had any accidents since he was 10 weeks old (yep, he learned quick not to go in the house or in his crate! He would even sit by the door at that age letting me know he had to go out!) If it happens again Ill see him to the vet. Thanks again for easing my mind!

·
Registered
172 Posts
A few days after I read this thread, Atticus was sleeping soundly beside me in his favored position (i.e., butt towards me so that I get the full effect of his farts) and I looked over at him and thought "Awwww, he looks so sweet" and petted him on the nearest part to me (his haunches) and he jerked and squirted some brownish, somewhat viscous liquid from his anus.  He clearly did this only because I had startled him during sleep, so I thought I'd share and perhaps add some perspective to the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
AnnArtisan\";p=\"73510 said:
A few days after I read this thread, Atticus was sleeping soundly beside me in his favored position (i.e., butt towards me so that I get the full effect of his farts) and I looked over at him and thought "Awwww, he looks so sweet" and petted him on the nearest part to me (his haunches) and he jerked and squirted some brownish, somewhat viscous liquid from his anus.  He clearly did this only because I had startled him during sleep, so I thought I'd share and perhaps add some perspective to the whole thing.
1. I didn't know that was a boxer thing... I thought it was just Odin torturing me by making sure his butt was as close to my face as possible... at all times... or at least in my general direction. LOL

2. That 'squirt' you got was a defense mechanism! lol  :wink:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="AnnArtisan\";p=\"73510":y7cf30x9]A few days after I read this thread, Atticus was sleeping soundly beside me in his favored position (i.e., butt towards me so that I get the full effect of his farts) and I looked over at him and thought "Awwww, he looks so sweet" and petted him on the nearest part to me (his haunches) and he jerked and squirted some brownish, somewhat viscous liquid from his anus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts