Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at costco today and got a 40 lb bag of there chicken rice and vegetable which cost 19.99 I currently have my dogs on Orijen but as I posted in my last post if i get approved and start fostering I dont think I will be able to afford my current food which costs me 55-60 bucks for a 33lbs bag so I was looking for alternative and someone on here mention the food from Costco.  They also have a lamb rice and vegetable.  Anyone have any  experince with food and thinks its something that would be good for me to switch to let me know.

Lisa

·
Registered
880 Posts
Kirkland Signature Brand Dog food scores very highly on the rate your dog food test that is posted under one of the forums.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've personally never used them, but they do rate well.I'm trying to find an ingredient list

·
Registered
780 Posts
We used the lamb and rice brand by Kirkland for about 3 years.  Our dogs did very well on it but Calli had a rock gut and could/would eat anything and Berkeley was a rescue who had been starved so she might have eaten anything too!   8O

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
55-60 bucks for 33 pounds.....wow!  I don't blame you for looking for a cheaper option.  

Just looking quick at the ingredients for Kirkland Signature, it definitely looks ok.  Personally would like to see one other meat protein within the top ingredients and the total protein amount is a little low for an adult, but there really are no real red flags here:

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed analysis
Crude protein 24% min
Crude fat 16% min
Crude fiber 4% min
Moisture 10% min
Calcium 1% min
Phosphorus 0.8% min
Zinc 200 mg/kg min
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg min
Vitamin E 150IU/kg min
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.5% min
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4% min