Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read on here that many of you give your boxers Kong's filled with peanut butter.  I tried this the other day and Tyson LOVED it.  So here is my question...how often do you give them to your boxer?  More then once a day? Do you fill the entire Kong?  Or just "line" it?  How much is too much?

Thank you!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was wondering about these too. How exactly do they work the peanut butter or treat out of the little hole?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They use thier tongue, it's kind of a game.  They keep licking it or chewing it until they get to it.  I just want to know how much and how often?!?!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use a knife and coat the interior portion of it, then freeze it. Freezing it makes it last a lot longer for them.

I do the same with yogurt.

Ours get 2 a day M-F...one when we leave in the morning for work and the 2nd when the dog walker leaves in the afternoon...keeps them busy during those moments right after they are left.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Mine are licking away at theirs right now.  I use a knife too and just put some in there.  Can't really tell you how much, but no I don't fill the whole thing full.  Sophie's is the small one so I'm guessing about a tablespoon (just a guess) and Kane's is much larger so he gets more obviously.  I do this every morning about this time when they get restless and need something to do.  I can say we have gone through a 1lb 12 oz jar of pb in 2 weeks lol.  Freezing it does slow them down, but they like it either way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I give my pup one a day.  I usually put 2 knives full in there and spread it around the top a little.  Works great for crate training

·
Registered
405 Posts
yeah, we go through a ton of pb too, i should buy stock. but it works so well to keep them occupied for a while...it reduces anxiety, and they look forward to going in their "houses!" They ONLY get kongs when they are in their houses...so it's a special treat for them when they go in and I think it helps a lot. As soon as they see the red coming out of the freezer, Abby runs straight upstairs, goes into her crate and sits and waits until I get there. Brady barks his way up...and if I take too long, he comes back, barks like mad at me, turns around and runs up again, continuously barking until I put it down for him.  So they definitely associate their houses with something good!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've been considering doing this for Beckham M-F, since he's alone almost 9 hours while we're both at work.  Sometimes our neighbor gal will come and let him out, but it's not something we can ask her to do everyday.  
I had given him a kong with a little PB in it when he was smaller and he just made a huge mess and then started puking afterwards.  Has anyone experienced that?  Maybe it was too much for his little tummy?  
Do they make a huge mess in their kennel?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Actually Kane has put on weight which he needed to do and Sophie's all legs lol.  She weighted 11.5 lbs. at the vet yesterday and the vet said her weight was fine, but to actually increase the amount I'm feeding her.  I also mix pumpkin with their kibble and they both have firm stools.  I'll get the camera out and update their pictures soon.  Trying to move and having the flu right now is hampering everything including picture taking for the time being.  I'll try and get some pictures soon.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If they do mak a mess in their kennels, they clean it up themselves! hahaha!! Brades actually has his on a carpeted floor and seems to be ok with that....but he doesn't drool over it like she does (plus, it's carpeting thats getting torn up so I dont' pay attention much...once new carpeting is in there, I will figure something out).

Also, specially for dogs like Beckham who are alone for longer stretches, they make a machine that automatically deposits kongs every couple hours. It fits 4 kongs, and I think you just set the timer on it. If we didn't have the dog walker come each afternoon while we were at work, I would get one of these for each dog. I think they are about $120, but money well spent to keep them entertained. Fill with kibble, pumpkin or peanut butter, pop in the machine and apparently it beeps right before it drops one out, so the dog hears the beep and gets all excited! I think it's a great idea!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sharon got one of those machines....Hey Sharon!!!! Mine have the large ones, I would fill it about 1/2 full usually...It takes them a good hour or more to get it cleaned out...A lot of times I have to give them a hand cos it gets stuck  :lol:

I used to give Samson one every day we walked, I figured he earned it. Well no walks cos the heat, and his arthritis, so they haven't had any lately....Samson doesn't get any treats actually due to his weight, an occasional Nylabone edible and his Glyco Flex(which he thinks is yummy) is about the extent of it....Cooler weather means more exercise, so we shall burn some of that excess off him  :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like a great idea.  I never knew something like this existed.  I will have to pick one up this weekend.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
We give Vega one. As far as how much is up to you. We vary our Kongs pretty widely. Sometimes a full PB, Smeared PB with Banana (frozen), stinky treats, Her absolute Favorite is canned dog food lined on the inside with Natral balance treats. PB has a lot of sugar so we avoid PB at night.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I give it too Hoosier in the afternoon when I head back to work or if we go out. I never thought of freezing it though.

I just line the inside with about two knife fulls of peanut butter, but we're switching to yogurt because I found that the pb was running him!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep I bought the Kong machine from PetsMart, but did end up taking it back.  Fiona has large Kongs and this machine works better with Medium size.  It really just did not work like I thought, they would get stuck which in turn made Fiona have a fit and try to knock the whole thing off the counter.

Anyway....She gets one Large Kong a Day with about 2 tbsp or two knife fulls of PB.  Sometimes on the weekends I will mix the PB with a squished up bananna.  I always freeze them for a while...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Sharon, I am laughing at the thought of Fiona getting fed up with the machine..Oh that would be worth a picture....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts