Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Kota's broken Leg

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  southerngirls 
#1 ·
I haven't been on here in awhile, because, well, I have been kind of busy. Three weeks ago my wife turned Kota out to the backyard to do his thing.  I guess, he was doing his normal hopping, jumping, leaping, no one saw how he did it. The next thing she heard was a very loud yelp and found him laying in the yard. He tried to get up and go, but just fell back to the ground. I was at work at the time. My wife brought him back into the house, called me and went home to take care of him. He broke both bones in his lower leg, can't think of their names right now. (now I remember it was the ulna and radius) It was a clean break, he is in a splint and I was told to keep him in his crate and off his feet.  I told the vet that this is a boxer and full time crating and keeping him down would be impossible. I know how you all feel about tranquilizers, but he is on them to slow him down while his leg heals. Some times it helps and sometimes it don't. Hard to keep a good dog down you know.  He seems to be feeling better, however, sometimes he turns his leg just right and yelps.  He hobbles around pretty good now, and probably has another 3 weeks to go. I had to cancel his obediance class. I figure he would do anything to get out of going. He is doing very well now, I take him out for car rides to get him out of the house for some fun and to see and smell other things.  We did walk 3-4 miles a day and you can tell he really is missing walking. Not much I can do about that right now.  So, we play alot inside. Any way, I just thought I would share this story with you for what it's worth.  I asked the vet how he could possibly do this, he told me "with all the sodium penathal and other drugs they use, they have never had a dog tell them what happened".  So with that, I guess, I will never know how he managed to do this to himself. I can tell you that a broken Boxer leg is expensive to fix, lots of trips to the vet, but my big boy is worth every penny of it, all 47lbs of him.  They said that since he is so young 8.5 months that it should all heal just fine with no surgery. So all is well except for his hobbeling, dragging, front leg.  He seems as happy as ever even with the inconvience. They take a licking and just keep on ticking I guess.

See less See more
#2 ·
Awww, poor Kota.  I'm happy to hear that he's healing nicely and still in good spirits!  The poor thing must be miserable not being able to walk or run!  Keep us posted on how he's doing!  Big get well hugs and kisses from Lola and I!  Feel better soon Kota!

#3 ·
Poor baby.   :(  I feel terrible for him. I agree with you that sometimes you may have to use tranquilizers if it is in best interest of the dog. My last boxer had hip dysplasia and I can't tell you the number of times I felt so helpless whenever I heard him whining and crying after he hurt himself.  It just makes you feel so helpless.  He is young and I hope he does recover fully. It sounds like he will. Plenty of hugs to Kota.  :wink:

#4 ·
Sorry Kota got hurt but glad he is on the mend.  When we were little, my sister ("Miss Graceful  :lol: ) broke her foot (play) dancing, so I guess if you land just right bones can break.

#6 ·
Jim, I am sorry to hear that..Poor Kota, it sure would be nice sometimes if they could talk so they could tell us how these things happen..We shall miss you at meetup, but you take care of our handsome boy and give him some hugs for me....

#9 ·
Poor Kota.  I hope he gets better real soon.

#11 ·
Glad he is doing better!  It is so hard to keep a boxer from wanting to run!  Our Berkeley injured her front leg and had to wear a splint too, the first splint was a plastic one which she broke.  We took her back to the vet and he said he had never had a dog break one of those splints before, he put a metal splint on her after that!  :D

#13 ·
Kota is going to the vet tomorrow to have his leg re-xrayed to see how it is healing. I havn't told him yet and maybe I won't, but since they have to sedate him for his xray he is going to come up missing a couple of parts while he is out. He won't be home until Wednesday due to the little extra surgery. I hope he does well and I hope his leg is about healed.  I am going crazy myself trying to slow him down and keep him off his leg. Maybe it's healed now and no more splint. It's been about 6 weeks. We will see..................................  Let you know in a day or two.

#16 ·
Aaahh, sounds like Kota is getting the "snip snip" done....He'll be fine and hoping the leg is healing really well..Missed you at meetup, hopefully we shall see you and Kota soon...

#17 ·
I just talked to the vet and Kota is alrady up and around out of recovery and back into a crate. Nuttless, but up and around.  He has to keep his splint for two more weeks, which I thnk is a bummer for him. But he dosn't seem to mind it much anymore.  Got to pick him up tomorrow afternoon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.