Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you know Juno is very pregnant.

Today she has only drank a little bit of water and ate a few pieces of her kibble. Would this be a sign of labor?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ok, my parents were BYB so I only have limited experience. Labors signs that I know of were refusal to eat, change in temp (can't remember if it up or down?), nesting, and panting... Hope this helps! :mad:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Oh gosh, honey I just don't know! :no: There are a few breeders, or ex-breeders on here, maybe they can tell you. Maybe you can pm them? I know Greg is one, Newcastle is another. Maybe Nano would know?

God's blessings! [-O< >:D<

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The temperature on the dog will drop right before labor occurs. That sign was always very true for my dogs before they whelped. One thing you will need to watch for in this mal-norished bitch is eclampsia. I would put her on some milk for her liquids at this time. That will help with that. Hopefully one of the current breeders can add more information too.

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Signs_Of_Dog_Pregnancy

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Have you taken her to the Vet yet?
Asked the vet any of these questions or any other concerns you may have?

I am not trying to be rude and have no whelping to offer :( but for the safety of the mom and the pups, I think having a vet or a vet tech on speed dial to answer any questions or concerns with regard to Juno is the best thing for all involved - the unborn pups, your sanity and the mom! ;)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
HannaBanana said:
Have you taken her to the Vet yet?
Asked the vet any of these questions or any other concerns you may have?

I am not trying to be rude and have no whelping to offer :( but for the safety of the mom and the pups, I think having a vet or a vet tech on speed dial to answer any questions or concerns with regard to Juno is the best thing for all involved - the unborn pups, your sanity and the mom! ;)
I agree, if you don't have experience whelping please contact a vet so you have a safety net. I believe most experienced breeders do this too just in case of an emergency such as the bitch needing a c-section and cannot whelp naturally. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You definitely want a vet on stand-by. Since you don't know her due date, but you think she's close to whelping, I'd be taking her temperature twice a day. When it drops to 98 and stays down, whelping should occur within 24 hours. She may start panting, shivering, and digging. She may try to get under the bed, under the deck, under a bush - if you have any den-like areas in your yard, don't let her out without a leash, because odds are she'll go under there and you'll have a hard time getting her out. She should be spending time in her whelping box already, which needs to be in a quiet room away from the main activity in the house. Some bitches really do prefer a den - a sheet or blanket draped across an ex-pen or a few chairs set around the whelping box may suffice. (Only cover half of the box - you need to be able to see what's going on!) The room needs to be warm and draft-free, but not hot; a hot room increases the chances of the bitch developing mastitis. A heat lamp above one corner of the whelping box should provide enough warmth for the puppies, while allowing the bitch to keep cooler. (Puppies cannot regulate their body temperature for the first two to three weeks. If they're all huddled up together, they're too cold; if they're all spread apart, they're too warm. The bitch will provide some heat as well, of course.)

There are a number of websites on whelping puppies; these two have quite a lot of information. (The latter, if you follow the navigation on the left side, has photos of whelping, a video, etc. as well.)

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html#kit
http://www.debbiejensen.com/whelping.html

Since you don't really know much about the parents and their temperaments, I'd strongly urge a very thorough socialization program once the puppies are born. The Early Neurological Stimulation program is, IMO, a must:
http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/artic ... on_en.html

I have an article about litter socialization here; this is a very condensed version of what we did with our latest litter.
http://www.helium.com/items/1563041-pro ... al-puppies

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
wow! i just saw this post, Jennifer of Newcastle gave you some very good info, watch her temperature and for her scratching and digging, when i first started out i took my female out to go to the bathroom there was about an inch of snow on the ground and snowing, well she squatted down to pee and out comes the first pup, i had to take off my jacket and cover the pup and try to make it back in the house while the umbilical cord was still attached to my female as i had nothing on me to cut the cord and i wasn't going to wait for my female to chew it free with all the snow coming down and the cold temps i knew i had to get the pup inside as soon as possible, boy those where the days, the pup survived and was healthy as a bug, i learned my lesson the hard way and will allways carry a sharp clean scissors on me every time i take a bitch outside when the due date is near, i would definitely have her checked out by your vet just to make sure everything is OK with her, good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i learned my lesson the hard way and will allways carry a sharp clean scissors on me every time i take a bitch outside when the due date is near,
LOL - good point. Add a towel and a flashlight (for nighttime pottying) to that list, too! :)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Newcastle said:
i learned my lesson the hard way and will allways carry a sharp clean scissors on me every time i take a bitch outside when the due date is near,
LOL - good point. Add a towel and a flashlight (for nighttime pottying) to that list, too! :)
Another good point, i didn't think of that, my experience with my female happened at night with the backyard spotlights being set on a short timer with the motion detector set , it was so frustrating that i had to keep waving my arms in the air to get the lights to stay on, boy i wish i had a scissors, flashlight and towel on that day, that was only my second litter at the time and i have to admit i was scared, the bitch that it all happened with is pictured on the left, father of the litter in center and my pic of that litter on the right, all mostly Jacquet bloodlines, the second pic is of their great granddaughter which i still have, she is going on 9 years old now and is a Jacquet x Turo cross, boy this brings back memories.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If this is her first litter I would suggest you contact your vet when she goes into labor, as other have said watch her temp that is one of the best indications of labor. Once her temp gets to 98 degrees labor could be at anytime. When labor starts she will pant and shiver, she will start to twitch when the pup enters the birth canal, if the twitching gets uncontrollable, call your vet. If labor last over and extend period of time it is time to contact your vet, labor varies between females, some may deliver their first pup within 1/2 hour of going into labor others may take as long a 2 hours. If you notice a greenish discharge before any pup is delivered it is time to contact your vet ASAP.

We just went through this with our Boxer (Autumn), she had to have a C-section, we had contacted our vet at the first signs of labor just in case, I glad we did because she had made room for her just in case. Autumns pups are 5 days old, mother and all 8 puppies are doing great.

Good luck, hope she has healthy litter.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I have a really big worry Tracy....

You didnt have enough money to cover Juno's pet deposit on your apartment...

What happens if Juno needs some serious medical help during labor or even a C-section?? It could end up costing ALOT of money or you could lose Juno and the pups and Im assuming you wont have the funds for something like that.

I'm crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly for Juno [-O<

·
Registered
22 Posts
Momto3boys, that's a very valid concern, Autumns c-section cost 725.00, it's not cheap to say the least. Then there is the care for these pups for a minimum of 8 weeks. Most states animals laws prohibit the release of puppies before 8 weeks old, in some states it's 12 weeks.
We had the money all set aside for Autumn before we had her bred. Having your dog bred isn't something to be taken lightly, a litter of puppies can run into a 1000.00 or more.

·
Banned
1 Posts
terryj630 said:
Momto3boys, that's a very valid concern, Autumns c-section cost 725.00, it's not cheap to say the least. Then there is the care for these pups for a minimum of 8 weeks. Most states animals laws prohibit the release of puppies before 8 weeks old, in some states it's 12 weeks.
We had the money all set aside for Autumn before we had her bred. Having your dog bred isn't something to be taken lightly, a litter of puppies can run into a 1000.00 or more.
Terryj630 in case you missed Tracy's earlier post she found Juno wandering on the street and took her in. This was not a "planned" breeding like you are speaking of. No one is taking it lightly which is why we are all here to answer questions. I'm sure Tracy has already spoke with her vet about the birth and any arrangments that need to be made.

Tracy, you are doing a wonderful job taking in Juno and giving her a wonderful home :up:

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
tanklovin said:
terryj630 said:
Terryj630 in case you missed Tracy's earlier post she found Juno wandering on the street and took her in. This was not a "planned" breeding like you are speaking of. No one is taking it lightly which is why we are all here to answer questions. I'm sure Tracy has already spoke with her vet about the birth and any arrangments that need to be made.

Tracy, you are doing a wonderful job taking in Juno and giving her a wonderful home :up:
Yes, Tracy literally rescued Juno, in the truest sense of the word. She has been reading and researching and asking questions of everybody who knows anything. She has taken Juno to the vet, also. She also has plenty of Boxer-loving friends who have stepped up to help as well. I think we need to give her credit for doing everything she can to assure Juno's and the pups well-being.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
yes Tracy is Juno's gardian angel.... she will do what she can do and that will be enough because she is doing it for the right reason. Had she taken Juno to a shelter she may have been euthenized and her puppies as well. All will work out the Boxer angles are looking over tracy and Juno [-O< :yes:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Tracy is doing amazing and we are all waiting to see what the little ones look like. Tracy definitely is Juno's guardian angel! :angel:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have no breeding hints - but I just wanted to wish you luck and I am so happy you rescued this little girl! I can't wait till the pups are born and see what they look like! :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts