Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Tyson in for his first checkup with my vet and he suggested getting him on a large breed puppy food. His reasoning is the same from what i've heard. The larger breeds can grow too fast for their bones and could cause hip dysplasia *sp?* and other skeletal disorders later in life. He said, you want his bones to grow stronger before the rest of him does which makes sense. The only kind of large breed puppy i've seen around here is Royal Canin which is a good quality food.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Go by ingredients and protein level.  Puppies not exceed 25%, 26% maximum.  If there is an ingredient you do not like - for instance corn, by-products, dont use the kibble.   Select ingredients that you personally like (no cheap fillers, solid protein counts, no bi-products for me) and then go from there.

Its whats in the bag, not on the bag that counts.   Every dog is going to have an experience with a kibble all in different ways.  So best to find the one that is right for you pups tummy.  Work of recommendations but do research on ingredients.  Pay attention to levels of protein, and not marketing printed on a bag.

Good Luck, and hope you find your perfect food:)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes, Canidae is a great food and inexpensive,  whatever kibble you choose, even if a large breed, just make sure the protein levels are under 26% and the ingredients are of good quality.  Most holistic kibbles are, but just double check the label.

Give it a couple of months, and you will be a kibble label reader!!!  ha ha

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now we're making the transition from Iams puppy to Canidae ALS and his stool is a little loose. I'm guessing it's from the Iams since it's been that way since we got him and that is what he was eating when we got him. Isn't puppy poo usually a little loose anyway though??

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It could be due to the transition from Iams to Canidae.  Canidae is a richer food so it will take some time to firm them up and get his belly used to it.  You can add some canned pumpkin to his kibble as well as plain organic yogurt.  These should aid in the digestion of the new kibble.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our vet recommended a large breed puppy food as well. They prefer Purina products (Purina One, Purina Beneful, Purina Pro Plan....all have puppy formulas).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We haven't been mixing much canidae in, only a few kibbles. How much pumpkin or yogurt do you recommend??

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
BrindleNBell\";p=\"65738 said:
Our vet recommended a large breed puppy food as well. They prefer Purina products (Purina One, Purina Beneful, Purina Pro Plan....all have puppy formulas).
Fiona has been raised on Purina One and has done well as an adult she is on The Purina One Salmon and Rice

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Just a spoonful of pumpkin is enough.. if you use too much it will loosen stools, just a little bit and it firms them :)
Canidae has been good to my dogs.  It took Felix a long time for his stools to firm up, but he had coccidia when I got him and I think this had something to do with it.  I've stuck with Canidae and now he has normal poops. haha.  I also add some raw chicken and sardines and other things to their diet.

I have to ask this though....Your vet said that fast growth causes hip dysplasia??  I'd look for a new vet.  Hip dysplasia is a genetic disease.  when he was born, he either has it or not- it may not show up for a while but it will be there from birth.  Being such a common disorder among dogs i'd be worried that my vet didn't know this. Maybe he just said this to convince you to switch foods.. but still.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=444

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Hip dysplasia is a genetic disease.
This statement is incorrect.  While HD can be genetic - a majority of the issue are environmental.   There are numerous things from nutrition to heavy exercise as a puppy while the joints are still growing that can cause HD.

So even a completely health tested dog can get HD due to the lack of awareness of its owner.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I have to disagree on finding another vet....This condition is affeted and genetics play only a varying role in the total picture.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation!
According to that article it is only genetic, but researching it after Hannabanana's comment I see that isn't always the case.
Sorry again, for not doing more research before posting  :oops:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Also if you look at the link that was referenced, half way down you will see exercise and nutrition and how they can contribute to a dog developing HD.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
This is a great quote.  It's so simple but so many people are still distracted by advertising.
I would feed my dogs toy poodle food if I really liked the ingredients in it and the protein level was adequate.    :lol:  :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i've decided to keep him on Canidae ALS. After you guys help and another forum *sorry hope thats not cheating...LOL* I decided that it's not really necessary (the large breed puppy food) Thanks for all the help and i'm going to have to add pumpkin & yogurt to my grocery list!!! Does it have to be the organic or can it be just plain old regular yogurt?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
get plain, fat free yogurt
organic if you want, but doesn't NEED to be organic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts