Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone feeding Professional Large Breed Puppy Chicken and Barley Formula Dry Dog Food. The owner of the pet store I was at today recommended that I try using this food and gave me some samples to try. He said that his boxers ate it and did great on it. I have been feeding Purina puppy chow large breed that the breeder was feeding and was thinking about switching. Do you think this is a good food? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've been told not to feed boxers large breed food. They're technically not a large breed (medium) and it will cause them to grow too fast and may cause joint problems later on.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've not heard of the brand you're talking about.
Any dog over 50 pounds at adulthood is considered large breed.
We feed Henry Nutro Natural Choice large breed puppy.  It is a controlled growth formula so his joints don't get all outta whack.  It also doesn't have any corn or byproducts in it.  Henry has small, firm poos too.  It is a pretty good food.  You can get it at Petco, Petsmart, and Tractor Supply has it for a lot cheaper.
Purina is not that great, so anything that has no corn or meat byproducts is going to be better.
Good luck and remember to change the food slowly to avoid an upset tummy.
Zhanna

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Professional is a good high grade food.  Go with it.

Large Breed Puppy food is actually pretty good for a Boxer because of how fast they grow.  Large Breed Puppy food slows the rate of growth, reducing the likelyhood of joint and spine issues.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have heard of it too and heard only good things about it. I would also go with and I feed a large breed puppy food

·
Registered
381 Posts
DieselsMom\";p=\"15968 said:
I've been told not to feed boxers large breed food. They're technically not a large breed (medium) and it will cause them to grow too fast and may cause joint problems later on.
You have to be careful what you read on the internet, as whoever told you that has it completely backwards.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Its not the label "large breed" of the food that is going to cause an issue, its the protein amount.   Kibbles that contain a large amount of protein is to a young pup, going to accellerate bone growth.   With this acceleration the supporting tissues (muscles & Tendons etc) cannot grow at the rate of the bone, hence resulting in injury.

I would (IMO) need feed a young pup anything above 24-26% protein kibble.   Also the label large breed or whatever will not affect stools, yet the ingredience do.  Sometimes a kibble that is too rich, and has less grains can cause a pup to have loose stools.   The more grain in the kibble the more crap coming out the other end so thus resulting in a firmer poop.

However we feed a grainless and raw and found the right combo for our pups and have no runs.

"Large Breed" and "Senior" formulas are pretty much just gimmics.   I have seen the "Diet" kibbles being advertised as weight loss mgmt in kibbles however 4 of the top 5 ingredients are a carb source?  Makes no sense but people buy into it.

You should be selecting your kibble based on ingredients.   Its a bit grain heavy for me, but over all its not that bad:)  A bit in the high protein also for my liking for a pup.  

Here are the ingredients for that kibble -

Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, millet, beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, salmon oil (a source of DHA), fish meal, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, L-carnitine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.  

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (min)  27  
Crude Fat (min)  12  
Moisture (max)  10  
Crude Fiber (max)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts