Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help but wonder if it's my lack of exposure to Boxers or if they are indeed this way, but I've observed that they are pretty calm and layed back. Do you find this to be true or was I just lucky to see them this way?

·
Registered
149 Posts
lol that is the last thing i associate with boxers! but that is after having only a puppy. mine is 7 months and full of energy. he's only laid back after a walk or when it's time for a nap or bed :) he's always wanting to play and be active. he picks on his little sister (a 3 month old bullmastiff) all the time. now SHE is laid back, but not my debo. and from what i've heard from others that boxers change physically, but not mentally. always a kid at heart :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Well I am a new Boxer owner myself, but so far Sadie is a bundle of energy (hardly ever relaxed) she is just a puppy but,  from the research I've done I have come to the same conclusion as debo...boxers remain kids their whole life. They are very playful and have lots of energy to burn off! :dance:

I'm sure all of these experienced boxer owners will be able to answer this one!!

Debo- could you please post some pics of your bullmastif!!! I love them  :) in another thread of course..:) I don't want to hijack this thread...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Say whattttttttttttttttttttttttttt!  Just kidding.  I would agree that mine are not constantly hyper or high strung if that's what you mean.  But calm is not the first word that comes to mind.   I think they are high energy, intelligent, playful and very people oriented.  They will also lay down next to you and sit calmly happy to be with their human.  They (in my limited experience) are truly people dogs and as long as they are with their people are very happy and pleasant dogs.  I'll let the long time moms answer your question in better detail.  

But one thing, my boxer boy, Kane, (14-16 mo. old rescue) has an 8 year old rotty, Zuke,  for a best friend and they are best pals.  Kane plays like a boxer with front feet hugging and jumping on the old guy, and Zuke is so big and mellow he just twists and turns and wiggles til Kane gets worn out.  They both seem to have big smiles on their face and love to see each other.  Weird cuz they are both males (Kane fixed - Zuke-not fixed).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, sounds like I got lucky. :oops:
My friends Boxer is a pup around 13 weeks old and he's playful no doubt and quite the lover, but he has a calm demeanor.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Boxer, Merlin, is about 9 months old and he's anything but laid back! I certainly don't remember the Boxers I've had in the past (about 20 years ago) being this active - even as pups! Just this morning, Merlin went flying down the hall & leaped right over the end of the couch and kept on going! Even my Cairn Terrier isn't usually that active in the morning.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ummmmm wouldn't that be nice occasionally!  :D   All of ours have been very excited with tons of energy!  Not until Calli was 9/10 years old did she really calm down and stop being so excited when company came, she was still excited but just didn't get as in your face as she used to.  The others still are very excited and always playing.  I know that our company thinks they are crazy but they really are much calmer when they are just here around us.  Ziggi (our boy) is the calmest one we have had so far and he still runs through the house playing.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have had 2 sets of boxers and each time I have the "energizer buny" and the low key, easy going one..Which has worked out great for me...The "norm" is definitely for a more high spirited, high energy run til you drop clown....That's Angel...Samson is my very laid back, standoffish senior, nothing phases him, well except for the UPS man  :lol:

I was laughing like crazy with your description about boxers versus Rotties, tropical depression & a C-5?  :lol: Take a look at some of the pics from my meetups, you talk about going full out, after 2 hrs with 20 plus boxers I am exhausted, but very happy....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"26414":tx9cezio]I was laughing like crazy with your description about boxers versus Rotties, tropical depression & a C-5?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink's nicknames are Captain Insano and Destructo Dog - that probably tells you all you need to know!

On the other hand, Tink's best bud is a Rotti and she is the laziest dog I've ever met!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah goes in spurts, just get out of her way when she is burning  :)  She is the worlds best cuddler, all 62lbs of her in my lap.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
We've been at both ends of the boxer spectrum. Our first, Sophie, was a "devil dog"  couldn't take your eyes off her without some destruction going on! I used to think she was a perpetual motion machine! She loved us like crazy and couldn't stand to be apart from us even in the house. Donner at 10 months is (so far) a "easy keeper" loves to play and be a wild child sometimes, is content with a toy or bone by himself, and can be a real snuggler on the couch. Like Jaxon, he was the calmest pup in his litter. Interacted with the other puppies for a while and then came over for a snuggle and fell asleep on my foot :D That was it... at the same time the breeders and I said " that's the one"

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
well if you would have asked this question 5 months ago then i would have laughed and told you no way! BUT......i rescued savannah in march and my bf bought me reese is april-after being owned by these two i wonder that myself! both of my girls are so chill that i sometimes wonder if the got out of line the day god was handing out the excitment/bouncy gene!!!  they love to chill in the living room watching tv or if i come upstairs to the computer they follow, but then plop down in front of the bed and look at me until i turn the tv on up stairs! they are so weird, i think each boxer is different-i just happened to get to two weirdo's :D

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It depends.    A boxer can act different way as a result of many of different things.

When selecting a boxer puppy, I would totally reseach the temperment of the parents.   Looks at the temperment in the lines as boxers are bred for temperment.   The breeders who are not breeding this leg in the tri-pod really dont care what they are breeding as long as people are buy and the money is coming in.

So I would get familar with a breeding program, see what a breeders dogs are, how they act, and then most likely you can decide.

I got my first dog Hanna at 13 week and was SOOO impressed on her temperment that when I was ready for another, there was no way I was not going to take a chance and go somewhere else.   I know was I was getting.   A friend did the same thing:)

Good Luck finding your pup!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona is hyper at times but will also chill and behave when told to calm  down.  She of course has her normal boxer burn at 90mph....

·
Registered
39 Posts
RottsnBox\";p=\"26408 said:
Hmmm, sounds like I got lucky. :oops:
My friends Boxer is a pup around 13 weeks old and he's playful no doubt and quite the lover, but he has a calm demeanor.
all i have to say is: WAIT FOR IT. :) When Betty was that young, i had so many people ask if there was something wrong with her.  They'd see her just maxin' & relaxin' if you will and they'd say "But...she's a boxer?!  Something must be wrong with that dog if she's that calm"  She just needed time to grow into her typical "boxer behavior" i think.  She's still a great dog!  Super loving and very into human contact - but there's no doubt that she definitely got more rambunctious as she grew older.  I still sometimes get that reaction from people when they see how well she walks.  We started walking her very young and she mostly just trots right beside us.  I find it funny that people seem to expect them to be completely insane and out of control :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts