Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was hoping to get some advice.

We have a 7 month old boxer pup who is rapidly growing (21Kg).

Deputy Dog has suddenly become a little terror on the lead. Pulling like crazy to go and say hello to people and other dogs. We have found it really hard to stop the pulling and as Deputy grows it's getting progressively harder to take him to busy areas. He is not in the slightest bit food motivated even his most favourite of all time treats don't stop him!!!

We started with a harness but have now moved onto a collar lead. We're not sure an anti-pull harness like a Halti (In the UK) will work that well given his small snout! The one thing that he is interested in is squeaky balls. He loves a good squeak, but if I get this out when we walk he just jumps for the ball...

I was wondering if anyone had any training suggestions? Our current approach is the stop start keeping him to heel. Not moving forward when he pulls... I'm not convinced this is really working though yet.. Possibly we haven't done it for long enough (about 2 weeks).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Why is it that no one from Britain seems to use a "British Slip Lead Leash???" Aww well one of life's mysteries?? Moving on ... forget the freaking halti, head collar or any other "tool of the week approach!"

And while my tool of choice is in fact a SSL, that is not how I started. I started with a regular collar and a flat leash. All you want to know is here, there is a lot of "Prong Collar" clips discussion in there. Don't worry about it, the same "principles" apply to a SLL it just takes more motion to apply a "Correction." And a correct uh "correction" is a slight tug "SIDEWAYS" not straight back.

Being able to take your dog on a proper "Structured Walk" is important. If you can't do that ... you will struggle with "everything else." eing able to walk your dog properly on a "loose leash" is an essential skill. ANd it best taught/learned in a "distraction free environment." If you are already struggling with distractions ... go somewhere else where there are no "distractions."

So look this link over.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

And I pulled this clip out of there. Doggy Dan I have heard him called.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/1736170-post12.html

The first clip ... that is what I did and how I started. If you can learn that, the SLL is a piece of cake! So look the info over and ask questions and Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Slip lead is the way to go. There is a little bit of a learning curve though. Some people tend to be way to tense and are always applying pressure, which will literally have the opposite affect. The trick is being relaxed, confident, and knowing when and how to correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts