Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ringer is pretty good on the lead.
Depending on the situation, he gladly walks beside me without bumping and has his attention toward me.  This happens about 30% of the time starting probably 10 minutes into an hour or so walk.  I take walks like this daily, varying my route through the neighborhood.  He acts the same way when we jump in the car and go the the various parks and beaches.
I initially trained him to my right because I dislocated my left knee a week before getting him and it was hurting having him slam into my knee.  After just a couple walks, he was very attentive (treats were involved) and well behaved.  Any time another dog was around, he wanted to play and pulled pretty hard but I could control him with a quick correction and a 'sit.'  I have since started walking him on my left at the suggestion of a trainer friend of mine to keep things consistent when I start obedience training.
That's the history.  
Things I want to fix:

• * Other people not allowing their dogs to socialize with my pup!  Nobody here can help with that.
    * Stop the bumping into my knee.
    * Stop the walking in front of me and abruptly stopping.
    * Consistently obey heel
    * Poop while on the lead
    * Stop pulling when another dog is around (Related to first bullet)

I think that is all for now.  Again most of this behavior is gone 30% of the time.  I want it gone all the time. :)

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
You'll probably get tons of good info from the trainers on the forum, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents :D  If I remember right Ringer is less than 1 year old - it may be that a 1 hour walk is too long a time/distance for him for a couple reasons, attention span can't last for 1 hour and it may be too long for him physically (stress on joints, etc) We walk Donner about 20-30 minutes 2x's daily if weather is decent. As far as other dogs go when we were in puppy school our trainer had us deliberately walk between 2 other pups going the opposite way and no contact involved. Her theory was that when you are walking your dog in public their attention should remain on you not other people or dogs. When it was play time they were allowed to romp, rough house and so forth. The same trainer also advised when at Heel to have your dog on your left, lead in your right hand, at the "magic" treats in your left hand (closest to dog) helps keep their attention on being at your side, not out in front. Like I said at first, hopefully one of the trainers will have words of wisdom, but this stuff works for us!
Sorry about your knee dislocation, OUCH :cry: Hope all is well with you now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah...me and Ares are working on the same stuff...main problem being his ADDFD (Attention Deficit Disorder For Dogs - I made that up, I think)...when he wants to listen, he listens perfectly.  When he's distracted, it's tough.

As for the walking though, when he walks infront of me, I'll yank him back, and if he surprises me with it, he's gotten a knee to the side or a paw stepped on...not on purpose of course, but that sure gets his attention fast.  You'd think he'd learn lol.

But I walk him on my right side also as I have a bad rotator cuff on my left shoulder that comes and goes, so any extra stress on it is a bad thing.  Stuff like "jerking" a shopping cart out of a row can trigger it, so I'm just a little hesitant to put him on the left, but I noticed most people do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts