Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you all could tell me what time you remove the water bowl from your dog in the evening. I am darn sick of getting up at 2 or 3 to let her out, when she has held it in the past for 8+ hours. I got my kitties a bubbling fountain that she has taken over, and I will catch her as late as 8 pm in there slugging down as much as she can. Do y'all feel at 16 weeks its safe to take water away ealy in the evening if she is not exersized, and panting?? I will just suck it up if she NEEDS it at this age..but man..its getting exhausting!!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have never restrict water.   I just had to get them on a schedule and then they kinda knew when to hold it.   IMO if you are feeding kibble water should always be made available.    However if she has to go, then she has to go, esp if she is younger.   IMO walk her right before bed (is she crate trained).   Then walk her right when you get up.   She will get used to sleeping thru the night.  

Also at 16 weeks she will be going often, and IMO you should be letting her out - its part of puppydom!!!  As she gets older, she will learn to hold her bladder and sleep thru the night.  Making life a lot easier!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will continue to give her water as needed. I thought it cruel to pick up the water dish, as she is still a baby. I AM exhausted, but the little girl will sleep till 9:30 in the morning after the middle of the night pee-pee..I guess it could be a whole lot worse  :lol:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It not cruel - but IMO if they are on a kibble diet, they need the water to help aid in digestion of the food that could be sitting in her tummy.   Also to take the water away to help potty training is only a band-aid (again, my opinion).   I would try to get her on a potty schedule.  Right before bed, first thing in the am, before morning coffee or anything.  Do it over and over, and they will get used to it.  May take two - three week to get them used to sleeping thru the night, but it will come.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Maple usually sleeps in the evening we wake her up around 10pm she'll have her last go at the water and we take her out within the next 30mins before she goes down for the night and she'll sleep through the night, but we do get up at 6am on weekdays and she wakes us up at 7ish on weekends, so i think if yours lets you sleep till past 9 then i would take her out at night lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts