Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's only been two weeks since we brought our pup home, but, I have to say alot of the myths about boxers being harder to train have been broken at our house. The last pup we had in the house was a chocolate lab, she never did get the housebreaking down. Blaze hasn't had an accident in his crate yet (knock on wood) and has been sleeping through the night since the 3rd day we brought him home. Yesterday he pee'd in the kitchen floor but it was my fault since he had been out about 15 min. before and when he went to the door I thought he just wanted to go outside to play. (Never assume) As for leash training it wasn't an issue at all besides the fact that the collar drives him crazy. He tries to scratch at it but just can't seem to reach, it is hilarious to watch him walk on three legs trying to get to the collar.
Sorry for the novel, my point is, boxers aren't harder to train, each dog is just a little different.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
blaze_the_boxer\";p=\"8699 said:
Well it's only been two weeks since we brought our pup home, but, I have to say alot of the myths about boxers being harder to train have been broken at our house. The last pup we had in the house was a chocolate lab, she never did get the housebreaking down. Blaze hasn't had an accident in his crate yet (knock on wood) and has been sleeping through the night since the 3rd day we brought him home. Yesterday he pee'd in the kitchen floor but it was my fault since he had been out about 15 min. before and when he went to the door I thought he just wanted to go outside to play. (Never assume) As for leash training it wasn't an issue at all besides the fact that the collar drives him crazy. He tries to scratch at it but just can't seem to reach, it is hilarious to watch him walk on three legs trying to get to the collar.Sorry for the novel, my point is, boxers aren't harder to train, each dog is just a little different.
my bf and i were crying laughing the first time jessie did that...

·
Registered
948 Posts
I know exactly what you mean... I don't have my little girl yet but it almost applies to me just backwards. Everyone said how bulldogs love to learn, etc etc.. Well.. my boy is slow (mentally slow - almost like the adults who are mentally still children). He has learned sit, shake, and down, but other than that, it just doesn't come to him. Housebreaking was quick but, like a little kid, he'll do something out of spite (never at my house but at my STB Inlaws). They have two dogs - one who I got for them - and they treat their two better than my boy and just push him aside. If he can't do what the other two do, he goes and poos and pees on their bed (I don't yell at him for that.. I try to tell them its not fair and he lets ya know it ---  :lol: ) .. But as long as Mia picks things up quicker than Toby did, I'll be 110% satisfied!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now we have a gate across the opening between the kitchen and living room so he stays in the kitchen at all times. If we aren't in there with him then he is in his crate. I am really looking forward to letting him roam the house because the kitchen floor isn't the most comfortable place to sit and play with him but cleaning up the accidents is alot easier.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Also wanted to add that it took almost 4 months to get Toby use to a leash.. At a young age, I like to do a lot of off leash training until they give me a reason not to, but just walking was a chore! He pulled every which way to get away from it (i think he was abused before i got him). I just want Mia to be the social butterfly that Toby isn't...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had labs before that would literally do backflips fighting the leash, I would just stand there and wait for them to stop. With Blaze, when I got home from work the other day my 3 year old daughter was walking with him around the yard, no problem. I really expected more resistance from him, it's nice to be pleasantly suprised once in a while.lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts