Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to train my 22 week old pup to walk well on a leash. She doesn't run everywhere and not listen instead she stands still, tail tucked and will not move. I can get her to come to me in uncrowded places if I crouch down. Other than that I kind of have to drag her around or carry her. I'll be moving to LA in a few months so I want to get her used to busier areas. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
So I'm trying to train my 22 week old pup to walk well on a leash. She doesn't run everywhere and not listen instead she stands still, tail tucked and will not move. I can get her to come to me in uncrowded places if I crouch down. Other than that I kind of have to drag her around or carry her. I'll be moving to LA in a few months so I want to get her used to busier areas. Any tips?
Is she afraid of her surroundings, a nervous dog, or is it she just reacts that way with the leash on? If its just with the leash she is associating that with a negative for whatever reason.

If its just with the leash on, you can try bringing her into your yard(if you have one) and do something she likes with the leash on without you holding it. Just be careful there isn't anything she could get the leash caught on. You can also try holding a high value treat in your hand and having her follow it with the leash on.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Eyes on her with a leash! But yes if you have a backyard?? Let her drag the leash around and follow you. And to late now but just so you know the girls are particularly pig headed! They are real big on the "what is in "this" for me bit??? It is a "thing" with the girls.

Are you using a slip lead leash on her?? And no you can't drag her around that's just not gonna work?? Again if you have a backyard let her drag the leash and follow you around. I'm kinda cautious with the use of treats but "call her to you and when/if she comes "reward her and pick up the leash and take a couple of steps. If she follows, treat again and add "Good Girl!' If she does not ... drop the leash and walk away. She'll figure it out in short order I'm pretty sure??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts