Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We really need to leash train Ginsy now.   I have hesitated to force the leash issue before now because she freaks out so bad when I put it on her.  And we live on a quiet cul-de-sac street with almost no traffic.  She is nearly 9 weeks old and getting much more active and playful now.  I worry more now about her running off to play in the woods behind our house( 6+ acres) and me not being able to get her.

By freaking out I mean she relly panics, tugs and rolls and cries.  Tosses her head and rears up on her back legs and falls over and rolls and cries some more.  Really pitiful display.

Today when I put the collar and lead on her she started growling and biting at me hands. 8O   then proceeded to go through the whole freak out routine :?   I jest left it on her for the rest of the day and let her drag it around behind her all day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 12 wk old , and I started his leash training when he was about 8 wks , becuz just like you he was uncontrolable. I put his collar on him full time at 6 weeks and never take it off, when we go for a walk ( I have and older dog too) I have found it real easy with one of those retractable leashes so he have 16 ft to play and act silly and can follow my older dog , and the leash thing is not been so scary. He still pulls and sits down but I just whistle at him and lots of loves and kisses and he is doing great.
I do feel your pain though but it will get easier. :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW, she is such a smart little thing!!!  after wearing the leash and collar all day yesterday,  she didn't even flinch when I put it on her this morning.

She was much better with me holding it on her walk as well.  She still doesn't like it and I can tell it  will take some time.   But I am amazed at the difference in just one day!

What clever dogs we have :lol:   If only they weren't also so head strong and stubborn :roll:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good girl Ginsy!  :D  And, yes they are very head strong and stubborn, aren't they? Gotta Love 'em!  :p

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Atta girl Ginsey....Yea, they definitely have a mind of their own and boy it does get frustrating at times....Angel is my 19 mo hellion and her & I are always bumping heads...She's headstrong & stubborn, but so am I..Lol...It takes time and a lot of patience, but it's worth it...There are somany different techniques for training, what works for one, doesn't always work for another, so it takes awhile sometimes to find one that works for you..

Ginsy is too young for this now, but when she's older and you start taking her for walks after she's had all her shots, I would highly recomend a Halti, Gentle Leader. It looks to some people like a muzzle, but it's not. It acts more like a horse's bridle, if your dog trys to pull, it turns their head and the harness tightens up around their nose...They don't like that at all....It has worked wonders on Angel, when it's on, she knows I mean business and she stays right at my side...Most good petstores carry them, you can also get them online at various places..Here's a link to one that I use and it has a picture and description

http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail/?ItemID=1750E

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Go Ginsy! :) I havent tried the halti, but Savannah does very well with her lead. She doesnt try to pull or anything.  Her only issue is cutting me off as i am walking to make me almost trip over her!! The biggest fear pups usually have is of the leash because it is something they are not used to, all she had to do was get used to it. Good luck and keep us informed about her progress!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good Girl Ginsy, You will get the hang of it and things will be so much easier. Gus  has figure most of it out, he pulls (just to get to my other dog, and to stop and eat things he is not suppose to ) But, he has finally figured out when I ask him if he wants to go for a walk he is at my feet waiting for the leash to be snaped on. And then takes half of the leash in his mouth and off we go.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
That's great! Ginsy sounds very smart! Odin was horrible about wearing the leash... even now he'd still much rather attack it if we're idle for more than 30 seconds but after we brought him back from the vet... he went from not moving an INCH after I put it on... to walking "just fine"... so to speak.  :D

I'm not sure what they did... I guess while he was there for two days they of course had to take him out for exercise and to potty.

Boxers are just too cool! 8)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is never a time in or out of the house where there are LESS distractions :lol:  :lol:   I have 4 children between the ages of 8 and three!!!

She did very good on her leash today while we were taking our walk.
She has worn the leash in the house for the last 3 days and seems to be used to it now (never in the crate though :wink: )  
She's such a smart little thing :D
She does have a problem staying to one side or the other of me.  Or I should say I have a problem.  Every time she does it I practically trip over myself trying to avoid her or I end up sending her flying as I kick her when I can't avoid her. :oops:   ( I haven't hurt her) but I worry about it .

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is so funny, I wanted to post this topic today after attempting to collar and leash Cali. She didn't have much problems with putting the collar on, she just wanted it OFF! I put the leash on in the house and she freaked!! Pulled and rolled and backed up, acted like a crazy baby, did not like it at all. So I Kept it on and then took it off. I left in on the ground, and she played with it all night. Chewing and biting, and rolling. I will attempt to get her used to the leash and then slowly start the walking indoor thing. I want to start early, she is 9 1/2 weeks now, but she is learning everything so fast. She already scratches at the door when she needs to go to the bathroom, sits on command, comes, understands "no biting" "no barking" and no in general... I am very surprised with this pup! Now if I could just get her back to 100% of her health....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I may have been a little too optimistic :roll:   Last night on our second afternoon walk she balked and pulled and sat down refusing to move.
Though to give her credit I was attempting to take her on a different route through the neighborhood.

But the point is I want to train her to follow my lead where ever I choose to lead her.  Right?

·
Registered
162 Posts
They will take two steps forward and one step back - it's like a kid - they will test the boundaries.  Just be patient - it takes a long time - mine occasionally throws herself on the ground and looks at me like "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"  :roll: - then I let her smell the string cheese give her the "STAND" command and she will start walking nice again. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts