Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a harness pretty recently for Willow when we go on walks. I clip it in the front and it works very well for pulling. However, sometimes on walks (not every time) she will start grabbing the leash and shaking it. I'll stop and give her a firm "no" or "drop it" but it doesn't seem to phase her. I've also tried just continuing walking and ignoring her to see if she'll stop, but she doesn't. Sometimes she also jumps up on me, I put my knee up to block her. Not sure what's causing it? Any ideas on how to stop it?? It's like she just completely freaks for a minute. Again, it's not every time we go for a walk. When she does do it it's generally only at one point in the walk, not multiple points (and we don't go on the same route every time, so I don't think that's the issue).
She also did it when I was just using her collar, so I don't think it's her harness that's causing it. She used to do it more and she is getting better (as in it's occurring less), but she seems to be more aggressive with it now. It seems like it's not triggered by something she sees (another dog, etc), but she almost seems mad at me.
She'll be 8mo on Friday.
Help!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Duke did the same thing when he was younger he would be walking like an angel and the next two mins he was bucking like a wild horse, he did this with his flat collar and front clip harness, it was just like he couldn't help but throw in being a complete goof after being so well behaved. I honestly think it's just them being young, wild and typical boxer teens... I worked on duke by a firm no, made him sit then waited a moment before moving forward, did this everytime he went crazy..

I remember an older couple who walked by and thought it was such a hoot watching this wild dog bouncing everywhere, it was embarrassing lol I also take duke out for a good off leash run at an enclosed park, also think that helps because he doesn't have to be confind going my speed he can get out all his crazies.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I got a harness pretty recently for Willow when we go on walks. I clip it in the front and it works very well for pulling. However, sometimes on walks (not every time) she will start grabbing the leash and shaking it. I'll stop and give her a firm "no" or "drop it" but it doesn't seem to phase her. I've also tried just continuing walking and ignoring her to see if she'll stop, but she doesn't. Sometimes she also jumps up on me, I put my knee up to block her. Not sure what's causing it? Any ideas on how to stop it?? It's like she just completely freaks for a minute. Again, it's not every time we go for a walk. When she does do it it's generally only at one point in the walk, not multiple points (and we don't go on the same route every time, so I don't think that's the issue).
She also did it when I was just using her collar, so I don't think it's her harness that's causing it. She used to do it more and she is getting better (as in it's occurring less), but she seems to be more aggressive with it now. It seems like it's not triggered by something she sees (another dog, etc), but she almost seems mad at me.
She'll be 8mo on Friday.
Help!
Lose the harness. You cannot communicate effectively with her. For dogs that pull, I like a wide collar to prevent damage to the trachea. For pulling make like a tree. You might only do a walk to the end of the driveway, but she needs to learn pulling gets her nowhere. You can also change directions everytime she hits the end of the leash.
Please don't knee her for jumping. You could hurt her. There is a bundle of nerves in the chest and dogs have broken bones where the leg meets the shoulder. If it's not working you can use a slip lead or a prong. But get a quality prong. Herm sprenger. Not pet store ones that are cheap. They've got sharp edges. A simple pop will suffice. You can google a lot of online trainers on how to properly fit this.
Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Duke did the same thing when he was younger he would be walking like an angel and the next two mins he was bucking like a wild horse, he did this with his flat collar and front clip harness, it was just like he couldn't help but throw in being a complete goof after being so well behaved. I honestly think it's just them being young, wild and typical boxer teens... I worked on duke by a firm no, made him sit then waited a moment before moving forward, did this everytime he went crazy..

I remember an older couple who walked by and thought it was such a hoot watching this wild dog bouncing everywhere, it was embarrassing lol I also take duke out for a good off leash run at an enclosed park, also think that helps because he doesn't have to be confind going my speed he can get out all his crazies.
Yes! Off leash is the best energy spender! And there is nothing more exciting to watch than an unleashed dog running full out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes we go to a ball diamond and throw balls for her/just let her run. We do it almost every day, weather permitting.
Love when her legs look like they're going too fast for her body, the "Boxer burst" I call it haha.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She'll be 8mo on Friday.
Help!
Lose the harness. You cannot communicate effectively with her. For dogs that pull, I like a wide collar to prevent damage to the trachea. For pulling make like a tree. You might only do a walk to the end of the driveway, but she needs to learn pulling gets her nowhere. You can also change directions everytime she hits the end of the leash.
Please don't knee her for jumping. You could hurt her. There is a bundle of nerves in the chest and dogs have broken bones where the leg meets the shoulder. If it's not working you can use a slip lead or a prong. But get a quality prong. Herm sprenger. Not pet store ones that are cheap. They've got sharp edges. A simple pop will suffice. You can google a lot of online trainers on how to properly fit this.
Good luck.
I feel like I have more control with the harness. I tried the "stop dead when they're pulling and wait" and the "turn around every time they pull" stuff but she just wasn't seeming to get it. The harness just works so much better for her (and me!).
I also read about the trachea being injured in Boxers and that freaked me out a bit! She has a wide collar now (she fits into her big collar now!!), but I still feel better with the harness. I also clip her harness to her collar in case she were ever to somehow get out of her harness.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
The stop and wait works - you just need to wait longer.....lol - then change directions once she has given up. You could spend an hour or more and never get out of your driveway / yard :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
We went with the prong when training Kai. In fact we still use it but he rarely pulls at all now. A properly fitted Herm Sprenger does the trick. The dog basically teaches himself as it tightens around the neck so the dog backs off and realizes hey it doesn't squeeze when I don't pull. We also did the stop and turn, the dog learns he is to follow you, not you follow him which puts him in the alpha position. Your dog is only 8 months still learning. And she will soon be testing you again. Kai will occasionally try to test by hopping about when he sees people/dogs he doesn't know but all we have to do now is say NO and he lies down and waits till we are through talking. We find we must keep him focused to only the person who has the leash in hand.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I feel like I have more control with the harness.
Well no can dispute how you feel. But the fact of the matter is if ... that thing worked??? You would not be asking questions and seeking help for "this" issue. :)

No one, that is "successful" with working with difficult dogs uses a "Harness." "Harness are designed for a dog to Pull" Engineers ... notwithstanding.

And most likely out of the "Crap Bag" full of dog training gimmicks ... the front clip harness ... is the worst of the lot! If you stop (which is pretty much SOP for a pulling dog) and your using a "Front Clip" harness, that "Tool" will spin the dog towards you ... "Good Luck" with that, if one chooses to use that "tool" on the wrong dog!!! Those ... "tools" only work ... if you have the "right dog!" That would be pretty much ... not a dog I'd want and most likely ... not a dog you have.

But you know ... people like numbers so ... a skilled trainer using a "proper tool" would have your dog walking well on a loose leash in oh most likely "less than 4 minutes!" Of course they should as they have trained hundreds if not thousands of dogs.

I have worked with only a dozen or so but I can do the "exact same thing" and I use a "SLL." I have had onl one dog that took me ten minutes just to get moving!! And good luck to anyone that used a "Front Clip Harness" on that "Freakishly Big Headed Pity" I had a chance to work with! That would have been uh ... fun to watch!

I'd have told them ... I'll keep the car running ... "Tahoe Regional Hospital" is only a ten minute trip and I can make it in five! :p

But whatever you can judge for yourself ... you can find most any episode of "The Dog Whisper" and see "Cesar Work" but this time ... look closer. In pretty much every episode that has an owner struggling with the "Walk" thing ... the first thing he does is "remove" whatever "crap" the owners has on there dog that is not working. And he uses a "nylon Rope and fashions a Noose and adjust it high on the dog's neck. And he does the rest, even a real SLL is too much bother for him. :)

I've done the same with a "Door Bolter" I recovered cept I used a "Jump Rope" and walked the dog "Politely back to there owner." I did however see one episode where he CM, did actually recommend a "Eask Walk" with a struggling "Pit" owner ... I was stunned??? And ... I was right ... as the saying goes ... that did not work out so well??? :crazyeye:

When I had uh "serious freakin issues" with my "First OS Wl GSD" I had uh ... send you to the "ER" issues! When I got it "right" I stopped doing and started thinking! I simply asked one question ... "what do trainers that are successful" dealing with difficult do's??? I found them and that's what I did ... worked out fine. :)

One of whom would be this guy.:
Solid K9 Training aggressive dog rehab, dog anxiety - Rehabilitation and Family Dog Training

And I can guarantee you, if you tried to enlist his aid and stipulated ... "I only want to use a harness to train my dog." He would tell you "NO" find someone else. I'm not Jeff Gellman but I get that and as they say ... "you can lead a horse to water etc etc ....

The members trying to help you are members that "can train a dog to walk well on a loose leash". But if you don't want to listen to them ... not much point in me "piling on???"

Often times the solutions to a dog's "problems" can be found "on the other end of the leash" ... just saying. :)

Oh for the record ... got your back on the "Knee thing."

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Layla does this too but a firm "stop it" works every time....its not a puppy thing,usually happens about 30 minutes into a walk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Teaching our boxer to walk nicely on a lead has been a very long process and after 2 years of lead training we still are not completely there. But she does walk to heel when asked and when she knows you mean it. I now use a front clip harness and that works really well. People stop and say how well trained she is, but I know that in a moment that can all change! Keep it up, and don't forget don't say anything unless you really mean it and are willing to see it through.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She doesn't pull with the harness and has always done this jumping/grabbing the leash thing. It has lessened, but she still does it. I'm not concerned about the pulling or the harness, just the leash grabbing.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
This is a bit off topic but I just saw on Jeff Gellmans site that Toronto has banned "choke collars". There may be some controversy on just what is a "choke" collar. The wording is too general for interpretation it seems. What a ridiculous law anyway.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
She doesn't pull with the harness and has always done this jumping/grabbing the leash thing. It has lessened, but she still does it. I'm not concerned about the pulling or the harness, just the leash grabbing.
Oh .... your back! And with "additional information" ... outstanding!

So "now" it seems that it is not so much you think the "Harness" is the way to go?? As it is "The Harness" allows you to "avoid" an issues instead of "addressing it" The dog bites the leash ... no problem. :)

OK then so now I know! And ... I got your back. I'm going to suggest my tool of choice ... a "SLL" granted I've found it's more of an "Art" than a "Science" but if you want to understand how to use one "properly" ... I think I can help???

First see my thread here. :
http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

If you use a "SLL" step one will be postion the little tabby thing "High and Snug" the dog won't like that??? They my struggle and fight for a bit but at some point ... they will "Stop" wait and most likely "Sit??" And you don't need to say a word! If the dog tries to bite the leash ... you have options.

Option one, if the dog tries to bite the leash??: You just yank the leash straight up hard out of there mouth! Don't do it again dog! It's not a " negotiation" it's not a "debate." You need to send a message ... "Make Better Choices Dog" or there will be "Consequences!"

Your "suppose" to be ... "Training" your dog and right now ... your dog is "Training You." If I act like a "total tool" that leash thing ... will "Go Away???" Works out just fine for your dog ... for you not so much??? But you know ... it's a "Boxer" and that's what they do ... "Train" owners ... happens all the time, that's the only "downside" to the "breed" in my opinion.

In any case, if done correctly it should only take once! You could also add "No" first then snatch leash?? Start "enforcing, training, teaching" "NO" now. It will come in handy later when she starts to do ... well "whatever." :)

But "Corrections" you know ... subject to "interpenetration??" If that is to much for you ... then go with "Plan B" use a "Pet Convincer." :
Pet Convincer.com

It's a blast of "Air and a bit of noise." It also delivers the same message ... "Don't do it again dog!" It's just a "Bicycle Air Pump" and about half the cost of that one ... at your local "Bicycle Repair" shop. The "Process" ... is still the same except this time if she goes for the leash say "NO" ... blast her with the "PC" act like nothing happened and keep moving. At any rate "now" you've correctly identified the "issue" next step ... is up to you. Note you don't need to use a "SLL" ... just thought I'd mention it. :)

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
This is a bit off topic but I just saw on Jeff Gellmans site that Toronto has banned "choke collars". There may be some controversy on just what is a "choke" collar. The wording is too general for interpretation it seems. What a ridiculous law anyway.
Well I've been searching for hours but ... found it. :)

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New bylaw in Toronto, Canada

Choke Chain which really no one uses anymore??? Struddell wore one because it looked cool on her. But "we" never used it as a training tool. But Choke Chain, Prong Collar and of course E-Collar are all Banned. Martingale is the only thing that slipped thru and "despite" what people that use them tend to belive a "Martingale is not a "Training Collar." If you use one your "Training with a Regular Collar and Leash ... not that, that is a bad thing. It's how I started. :)

But a Martingale's primary function is to keep slipper headed dogs from chucking there collars at will ... like my first APBT/Boxer Stewie would do??? Apparently he only wore his Collar to humor me?? If something came up ... he'd just chuck his collar at will??? He'd not go anywhere ... but it was annoying. Struddell never did that and Gunther couldn't.

I do find it ... "humorous" that "SLL" are not on the list. PO advocates if you work rescue ... will hand you a "SLL" ... they have no clue. :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Well my daughter had a little encounter..sorry a bit of topic but important that your dog listens. She was walking Kai, when suddenly another persons boxer broke away from its 9 year old walker, owner was present.. and came charging. It wasn't noticed at first until Kai went on high alert, and started to bark like crazy and go to end of lead pulling some. My daughter put him in a sit but still had to hang not he leash some as she grabbed the other dogs leash and kept them apart with outstretched arms. Owner came grabbed and apologized, said she didn't realize her dog would do that but would take steps in future for it not to happen again. I think Kai went on alert as he must have thought he had to protect himself or my daughter but at least he pretty quickly settled. We will have to do more training on him too as his corrections were not immediate. My daughter hasn't taken him since and we hope he forgets this encounter and doesn't try to now start barking at everyone. He has tried that a few times in the past but he is selective on who he barks at. Usually its just the wiggle, and a yap that is corrected quickly but every so often it is a big boy bark, though he corrects quick. This however was a bit different and he broke his heel.
So important we all control our dogs at all times.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
yeah choke chains were a farce for Valant...he had a neck bigger than his head,so just a quick flip of the nose and off it was...haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts