Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back in the puppy stage and I am having a little bit of trouble with leash walking. My Gus is 7 months old now, for the most part walks well. However he tends to pull a lot even though I stop and don't move until he releases tension. He also doesn't do well with other passing dogs. He is not aggressive towards these dogs, just wants to interact. If anyone has any good leash training tips, I would greatly appreciate it!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sometimes stopping and circling around will stop the forward motion when he starts pulling. What kind of thing are you using to walk him is it a collar or harness? The harness's that attach on the back tend to enable pulling. They have various things on the market to prevent pulling not all of which actually work

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like typical boxer behavior that takes a while to get past it.

You're doing the right thing by stopping until he releases tension, and you should also have him sit before moving on. When training Scout it would take us 10+ minutes to go 20 feet using this technique, but it works.
She's almost 3 now and still does sometimes pull some when passing another dog but a quick correct usually stops it.
But Boxers will be Boxers!
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
The first question would be "what tool," are using when you walk him?? The best option's would be a "Prong Collar, or a "Slip Lead Leash." And in the beginning you want to "minimize," distractions ie "Other Dog's."

If your doing the stop and wait thing ... and you were using a properly positioned SLL, (It should be high and snug) that should be working??

But if is low on the shoulder's?? He will be real eager to lean into that and pull. Think Sled Dog. Prong Collar would work also but fitting it properly is a bit more involved, as in takes more than 2 second's. :)

But when you get him moving. You can't just walk in a straight line. Turn left, turn right and walk in figure eight's. Just do that for a week or two see how it goes and then you'll be better positioned to get onto "ignoring other dog's on walk's.

Detail's on SLL and Prong Collar's can be found here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like typical boxer behavior that takes a while to get past it.

You're doing the right thing by stopping until he releases tension, and you should also have him sit before moving on. When training Scout it would take us 10+ minutes to go 20 feet using this technique, but it works.
She's almost 3 now and still does sometimes pull some when passing another dog but a quick correct usually stops it.
But Boxers will be Boxers!
Good luck.
Thanks for the feed back. It is typical boxer behavior LOL. He is getting better. I have taken your advice and now have him sitting down before we move on. It is helping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes stopping and circling around will stop the forward motion when he starts pulling. What kind of thing are you using to walk him is it a collar or harness? The harness's that attach on the back tend to enable pulling. They have various things on the market to prevent pulling not all of which actually work
Thank you for the feedback. I have tried the circling, or figure eight technique instead of walking straight. I am sure it will get better, I have to keep reminding myself that he is still a puppy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first question would be "what tool," are using when you walk him?? The best option's would be a "Prong Collar, or a "Slip Lead Leash." And in the beginning you want to "minimize," distractions ie "Other Dog's."

If your doing the stop and wait thing ... and you were using a properly positioned SLL, (It should be high and snug) that should be working??

But if is low on the shoulder's?? He will be real eager to lean into that and pull. Think Sled Dog. Prong Collar would work also but fitting it properly is a bit more involved, as in takes more than 2 second's. :)

But when you get him moving. You can't just walk in a straight line. Turn left, turn right and walk in figure eight's. Just do that for a week or two see how it goes and then you'll be better positioned to get onto "ignoring other dog's on walk's.

Detail's on SLL and Prong Collar's can be found here.
Thank you for the advice. I am trying it all~!~!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most complaints about leash walking challenges have to do with dogs that act like Iditarod competitors. While pulling during leash walks is a more typical challenge, there are some dogs that have the opposite problem; instead of pulling they slam on the brakes and refuse to move.

Pet parents might think their dog is stubborn, but there usually are underlying reasons that have nothing to do with manners or training for refusing to walk while on leash. The following are some of the common reasons why dogs go on leash strike, and what you can do about it.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Most complaints about leash walking challenges have to do with dogs that act like Iditarod competitors. While pulling during leash walks is a more typical challenge, there are some dogs that have the opposite problem; instead of pulling they slam on the brakes and refuse to move.

Pet parents might think their dog is stubborn, but there usually are underlying reasons that have nothing to do with manners or training for refusing to walk while on leash. The following are some of the common reasons why dogs go on leash strike, and what you can do about it.
LOL , I call those "Plopper Downer's! I had one, my neighbor's dog, I did advise them not to get her but people do stuff ... She was a Boxer/Pit 85 lbs (over weight a bit) and they were elderly, and disabled. She was a nice dog anyway and a back yard only dog! She never left the house/yard! On and had never been in a car or on a leash either???

Well they had to take her to the vet. And of course I'll help them with there dog. So you know, I'll start walking her for prep work, for her vet visit. LOL yeah right, try and drag a "hardcore Plopper Downer anywhere??? Forward leash pressure (just hold don't pull) ... did not mean crap??

Sigh it took about 30 minuets to go half a house length away from home ... uh I'm not leaving home! (the dog.) The thing is a day or to later, I load her in the car and we go to the Vet. And I go in with her (on leash) and she is good with the staff. All goes well, until they say we'll take her in the back for blood work. Uh Oh ... I thought?????

Well they use the nylon thin Slip Lead's, to move dog's around and yeah, that was not gonna happen! She plops down and is not gonna move! I say let me try. I use a Real Slip Lead Leash, so it won't cut into her. And now off of home turf and in the same manner that I got her in ... she follow's me without issue. We finish up and I take her out and now on unfamiliar ground ?? She follows me with out issue??? She did great as we walked around the grounds w/o issue! :)

I did have one other plopper, sigh another "Pit/Mix," those guy's always throw "different crap," at me. But he was not as committed to the "plop" as my neigbor's dog. But name your bad behavior on a leash and he did it! He was classic. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts