Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
Me and my fiancé are looking to buy a boxer pup in the near future and have some concerns about leaving the dog alone. Most of the time the dog would be left alone for no more than 4 hours, however on odd occasions it could be longer. We don’t want a crate as we would prefer the dog to free roam around the house as that’s what we have grown up with but one breeder said they get destructive when left alone. We also only have room for one dog so no chance for a companion. I’ve grown up with Rottweilers in the family and they have been great when left alone so never really thought this could be a big problem.

Has anyone got a lone boxer in the house and is it possible to teach out/prevent them being destructive?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have had 6 Boxers now and all of them have been started using a crate. I usually could start trusting them to be out in the house at around 6 months old when they had pretty good control of their bladders and made sure there was nothing down they could get into. Also important is how much exercise the dog gets a good time to try them out if you have to leave is make sure they are exercised well. The crate teaches them to lay down and sleep and be quiet when you are out of the house and it keeps them and your belongings safe so crates are not bad things they should never be used for punishment though just quiet time. Once my dogs have passed the point to be trusted and this varies by each dog I have no problems at all leaving the house. It takes consistent training but all is possible. Some dogs adapt to the crate better than others I have had two now that would not crate so I had to devise a safe place for them to stay while I was out using baby gates. I had one dog that would bite the crate so badly he pulled one of his teeth out he had really bad separation anxiety so it does vary from dog to dog. Remember puppies cannot hold their bathroom functions so the crate is also good for that when you arrive home take them out immediately

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Well four hour's is not a horrible amount of time to be left alone. But I think the rule of thumb is it takes a month of growth for a puppy to be able to hold it's bladder for an hour?? SO four month's would be 4 hour's roughly speaking.

But how much time do you have to spend with him when you get him?? Cuz if you get him on a Friday and have to start leaving him on Monday?? I think that may pose a problem???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well four hour's is not a horrible amount of time to be left alone. But I think the rule of thumb is it takes a month of growth for a puppy to be able to hold it's bladder for an hour?? SO four month's would be 4 hour's roughly speaking.

But how much time do you have to spend with him when you get him?? Cuz if you get him on a Friday and have to start leaving him on Monday?? I think that may pose a problem???
For the first couple months or even years it wouldn’t really be left alone for long because my fiancé is at university and most of it is from home now so that’s not a problem. We just don’t want a dog that once is older and gets left alone becomes destructive. Sometimes life will get in the way and we’ll have no choice but to leave the dog alone

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well when you first start leaving the dog alone make it just for brief times and one thing not to do when you do come back home is not make a big deal of it don't greet the dog or make over it because this can lead to separation anxiety I also think its bad to never leave the dog alone because then it never learns its ok to be alone. I don't like to paint all dogs with the same brush they are all different and a well trained dog is a product of work and understanding. I have had like I said many Boxers now I have not had one get in the trash or tear up my house when I left. You get out of a dog what you put in.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Dogs are creatures of habits..If the dog is constantly at your side, then its no longer possible you may have problems. If you do this from fairly early on it should be fine. One of the reasons I like crate training a dog. They learn to be alone for periods of time.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
For the first couple months or even years it wouldn’t really be left alone for long because my fiancé is at university and most of it is from home now so that’s not a problem. We just don’t want a dog that once is older and gets left alone becomes destructive. Sometimes life will get in the way and we’ll have no choice but to leave the dog alone
LOL ... well OK, then under those conditions?? Your "Not," going to be behind the eight ball, of well ... you know people that "Don't Follow," conventional wisdom! The puppy won't be left on his own early in life! :)

Your biggest problem after the first week or two week will be tearing yourself away from them for, a little bit for 15 to 30 minuet's a couple days a week.

I will say thou ... "Straight Up Flat Out," the best advise you will get, is to "Crate Your Dog!" It can keep your dog safe and secure when your gone. And it can help to establish structure and disciple! And well the main trait's, "Boxer's" seem to come by naturally, don't really include "structure and disciple!" :)

But hey if you want to big headed as it were?? I got your back! More to come. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am a firm believer in crates. I understand that some people think that it's cruel to keep your dog in a crate, but it really isn't, it's like a den. If you don't want to use a crate, maybe use a specific room that you puppy proof. I only have to use a crate for Ivan right now(he'll be 2 in May), but I start all my pups on crates. Astrid was only 2 when she graduated from the crate but she had to be in an xpen for 4 months after a leg surgery (she tore her ccl when she was almost 2) so she has earned her freedom. My first 3 boxers didn't graduate from the crate until they were 4. To get them to like the crate, I used the Crate Games program from Susan Garrett. I LOVE her training programs!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Yep Mom2Lily&Sage..I do the same. Only in the past year did I learn more about Susan Garrett and her positive training methods. I now have a standard poodle and the old training methods do not work as well on them as the positive methods. I'm old and a bit set in my ways, but when it comes to my dogs I'm still learning everyday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts