Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 yr old boxer Murphy has been going to the dog park since the beginning because we wanted him to be social and not aggressive to any other dogs with in reason. Murphy is the opposite of aggressive and loves to run and play with other dogs but if he isnt the last dog in the park its hard to get him to listen when i call him to leave… i know positive Reinforcing good behavior is the way to train them what if theres nothing to reinforce with praise.? He doesnt ever leave when i call him so how do i discipline him with out being Mike vick?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sounds like the recall work you need to do is at home first. I used a long 25ft leash when my dogs were puppies and would call them to me while gently pulling them in to me once they get to me I make a very big deal of it lots of good boys or girls just repeat until lesson learned it is one of THE most important things you can teach your dog for his safety and yours. Some people use treats as a reward I never have. Getting him to do this at the dog park will be a whole different story

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
The "Dog Park" LOL "Dog Parks are like the Shoot out at the OK Corral. All it takes is for someone to "cock, the shotgun and all "HE$$," breaks lose!" And that is when you see "who is who?" Most people will, wish there dog "Good Luck, with that and run away screaming." Now the people that "rush into a fight, help to break up a fight? Are well people like "me." Cause we know how it's done. The thing is however ... you won't find folk's like me out there cuz well ... "We Know better." :)

At a "Dog Park," you don't know who bring's what dog out there? And the best way to weed, out who should not be there is well, with a "Boxer!" Boxer's tend tend to hop, circle at high speed and "punch other dog's in the face." "Hence the name." And some dog's have no issue with it? And some dog's ... "not so much?" And there is the "issue?" Cuz if another dog has a "serious issue with "your dog's behaviour?" Most likely it's gonna be a bigger Dog?" So ... "Good Luck with that!" :)

But on "very occassion's," you might see dog's like mine out there? Not my "Boxer, Struddell of course, she was my baby girl, and "God," help the "Dog and Owner," that went after her! Law enforcement would have been involved! Cuz I would have gotten that dog off my Girl and I would have gone after the owner! Just saying.

So in the "Real World," dogs are not the only potential dangers at a "Dog Park!" Beware the "owner's!" Many years ago, Bear, Bear was gunned down at a "Dog Park," by an off duty Cop! Because he "felt." Bear,Bear was a "threat to his GSD?" Bear was a "Husky," and a big puppy at the time, but the point is ... his owner could not "control him?" And that "tool," that "Killed him," felt his dog was under threat? So just saying, "other dogs are not the only threat at the "Dog Park," beware of the owners!"

Now that much said back to your issue. Well the bottom line is, you will "rarely see well trained dogs at a "Dog Park?" If you do? Those folk's tend to be there to "Proof," there dog's! If Crap, goes "sideways," they can "Recall," there dog's and they "will recall." Problem solved.

People that are actually, "aware of the "possible, dangers," in a Dog Park, don't take there dog's into them. As they "understand," that for the most part "only the most "poorly behaved ," of dogs will be found there. Now if you do see them? They will tend to be off at a distance and away from the madness? And there dog's pay attention to them. Usually they "we," go at "off hours," when very few if any dog's are there ... and often are seen off in the distance away from the madness. I took my GSD to the Dog Park at off hours or "Mid Night," to our local Dog Park for "Proofing." But my baby girl Struddell, nope not a chance would anyone ever have seen her at a Dog Park.

So back on point ... "if" you looked for a trainer to help you? The only ones that could help, would tell you to "get out of the Dog Park!" And if you won't they would not take you as a client.

Now what I say is, that if you routinely take your dog to a "Dog Park." What the dog learns is that "running around "hog butt, wild with a bunch of dog's," is a lot more fun than listening to you?" So that is where you are at.

And what they "We," know starts here.:

And finally if your gonna go anyway, then you should know this.

And the last one ... "Good Luck, with that!" Most folks "will wish there dog "Luck," and get the "Hell out of Dodge!" Dog teeth, tend to hurt alot ... just saying. The folks that could help and know what to do ... for the most part are not gonna be there because they know better. :)

So really this is just a long way of saying., if you want to teach your dog "Recall?" First get out of the "Dog Park," Nuff Said. :)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I have a 1 yr old boxer Murphy has been going to the dog park since the beginning because we wanted him to be social and not aggressive to any other dogs with in reason. Murphy is the opposite of aggressive and loves to run and play with other dogs but if he isnt the last dog in the park its hard to get him to listen when i call him to leave… i know positive Reinforcing good behavior is the way to train them what if theres nothing to reinforce with praise.? He doesnt ever leave when i call him so how do i discipline him with out being Mike vick?
I'd run our Boxer in a secluded state forest area. The majority of time he'd be on a leash, but I'd let him off the leash occasionally. He had a game where he'd hide from me in the brush. He wouldn't come when called, even if I'd start my car and act like I was leaving him there. It seemed like a game where he was stalking me, hiding and then appearing again. This went on for almost an hour a couple times. I was so angry. It scared the heck out of me because I thought he'd run away somewhere. I never found a solution.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'd run our Boxer in a secluded state forest area. The majority of time he'd be on a leash, but I'd let him off the leash occasionally. He had a game where he'd hide from me in the brush. He wouldn't come when called, even if I'd start my car and act like I was leaving him there. It seemed like a game where he was stalking me, hiding and then appearing again. This went on for almost an hour a couple times. I was so angry. It scared the heck out of me because I thought he'd run away somewhere. I never found a solution.
My secret weapon was a favorite squeaky toy that I kept in my pocket I could keep in in there and squeak without being seen and that worked every time for my guys. Thankfully they listen really well to me and can be off leash just about anywhere with no problem.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
The "Squeaky Toy," thing "Can," work. I have seen it done. Some dog's would walk over broken glass to get there "favorite toy!" But it has never worked for me? I think of why the "toy," thing has been a fail for me, is because my dog's have had free access, to toy's all the time? They have a big basket full of dog toys' that they are free to rip apart and tear up all the time. So why is that one special, when I got's lot's more at home?

I am "Not Saying," the toy thing cannot work for "Recall." But it is not as simple as it seems? There is "some form," of "Ground Work," that needs to be done first, for training "recall" (I think?)

At any rate for the "OP," if they are still here? Under "typical circumstances." There is no way, you can train "Recall," at a "Dog Park?" There is just to much "Distraction." And no "ethical trainer," would even try?

Now that much said, sigh. Under controlled conditions, I did actually train my One Year Old Rescue (Boxer/Pit) at the time. "Recall," using a "Dog Park?" And well it worked. But you'll not find on "YouTube, or Goggle" because well ... "no One Does That?" :)

And it has worked "well enough," that for the last three years or so we can go out into the desert with no leash, and she "recall's," when it is time to leave. But ... although in an "emergency situation," I have been able to recall her or get her to "Stay," at a distance. If she is so far away I can't reach her (if crap happens?) She has always done as expected.

But I have "not really Proof-ed her?" To do that I would have to go to the "Dog Park," when there are "distrions from other dog's." And I choose ... "not to do that." Sigh so "we," roll along with "Good Enough!" She is not my Boxer and most certainly not my GSD! Those dog's would be a number one for obedience and Bella is about a 3? She does seem to obey if it really happens to matter? But she really does not meet my standard of a dog, I can really trust to do anything reliably?" So you know "Good Enough," ... is not much of a selling point? :)

But when I first got her? She was "embarrassingly bad?" I really struggled with the not a puppy bit? So I wound up behind the curve and had to do something? So I came up with the "Dog Park," which worked out fine ... "where I am." But it's viabilly depends on where one lives?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello i thought i was the only one is embarrassed
At one had to call mine daughter to help she was laughing. I was not but after the i have his favorite toy in my car i show to him to get close that i can grab him he is 9 months old he play with me
I took him to 6 week training he still do it so only wait for him is funny
But i love him😀

1 - 10 of 10 Posts