Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so right now during the day Fredo (8 months today) is in his crate while we are at work. However I really want to start letting him have free roam downstairs during the day.  I am nervous that he will destroy things though and I won't be able to punish him because I won't "catch him in the act" and then he'll never get corrected if he does something wrong.

Any ideas on how I can start the process of leaving him on his own during the day?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Gradually! Leave him alone for 10 minutes at first and just keep increasing the amount of time he is alone. Make sure he is well exercised before leaving him, and make sure there are plenty of things he can chew on.
I would also close all doors to bedrooms and bathrooms, depending on where you are leaving him. It's a slow process, but I think Fredo will get there! Good luck!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do it on the weekend!  Leave him out free while you run to the store, I usually start with about 20 minutes to an hour, depending on how confident I'm feeling at the time.  Work your way up one trip at a time.

Probably helps too if you don't do it first thing on a Saturday when he might be needing some attention after a long week and has energy to spare...I always liked to get them a bit tired first with a nice long play session and some snuggling, lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I think I'll try it for a bit this weekend after the dog park when he's nice and lethargic...lol

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think 8 months may be a bit young to leave them out alone but of course it all depends on the dog.  You know your dog better than anyone!  :D   We normally waited until they were over a year before we started letting them out alone.  We did like everyone else suggested with just a few minutes at a time and then working up.  We also left them out when we just went outside and did a few things in the yard, came back in and checked to make sure they weren't getting into anything.  

We also shut doors and used baby gates at the bottom of the stairs (ours have never bothered the gates or tried to go over them).  Does your boxer get into anything while you are home?   If he does he will probably get into it when you are gone too.   :D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I agree, tire him out a little then leave for awhile. I also think it depends on the dog....Donner is really laid back and could be left alone for short periods since he was about 6 months. He hates to get in trouble and hear "uh-oh" and rarely repeats anything that causes it. Blitzen, on the other hand is my demon child and will repeat bad stuff just to see if I'll catch her again!!! She may be a very old dog before she can be left unsupervised!!! LOL If Fredo is pretty good when you're home, I'd give it a try! Might want to leave him with a PB Kong too :lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
it really does depend more on the dog than the age, we started Bruce around 6 months for short times, my first was well over a year before he was ready

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAHAHA oh yeah, he's an angel..hahaha
Well, he's not bad but he does try and get into everything and tries to take everything off the tables and counters. I think if we just make sure there is nothing out, the worse he could do is eat through the wood kitchen chairs/table and rip apart the leather couch...no biggie, right? lol

I think i'll go pick up that kong dispenser thing first.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Oggie is fine left alone, and has been since he was very young. Start out gradually, leave him in an area of the house and check back in every little while to make sure he's behaving.  It's great if you can go upstairs and leave them downstairs, but still in a spot where you can hear what they are doing.  That way you can run down to make corrections if something bad is happening.  As time goes on and they gain your trust, you can leave the house.  The important thing is to leave him in an area he's comfortable in when you are home, so when you leave it's not a big shock.  I think people make the mistake of removing their dog from their "comfort zone" when they leave which results in elevated anxiety.  You can't expect your dog to hang out on the couch all day, and then when you need to go out you lock them in the laundry room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts