Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zeke (4) is leery of some loud noises but not all - like no problem with fireworks, but the oven fan scares him. I've also noticed he is very paranoid about traffic - walking through our development if a car is backing out down the road, he will stop and has to watch until they go away. He's also leery of things that don't move...like if we pass a mailbox that has balloons tied to it or a parked RV he will move so that he's on the inside of the sidewalk, away from it. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I don't see anywhere that it's a boxer thing. We've had him since 8 weeks so I know it's not from anything he experienced; no relative trauma/drama.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Could be something with his sight

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Was he always like this? Even as a pup. Could just be a nervous dog. If it has happened more recently could be something medical.

Jeff Gellman has a ton of videos online and I believe he does a lot of work with fearful/anxious dogs. Probably get some good ideas from him.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
If he is just leary I wouldn't worry so much. My dogs notice new things, changes. If someone puts out a new yard decoration they will be leary or even bark at it but then they get use to it as we pass again and again. My dog use to be afraid of the trash trucks now its ok we would sit in the driveway as they pass and just let them get use to the new noise. Maybe thats all it is?

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
"Noticing" new things is not a problem. But "Dwelling" on them is. And right now ...the OP is "co-enabling" there dog???

Why is the dog "allowed to stop and stare at the vehicle," until it went away??? Where were they?? If they, were on a walk??? The approach is ... that "whatever it is" is not your concern dog ... move along! On a "walk" you can't dwell and ponder on "what his issue is with ...whatever??" You keep moving, ie, "there is nothing for you to be concerned with here dog ...let's go!"

And yes the OP is correct, in that this is not a "Boxer" specific issue?? They typically "don't seem to care about much??" As long as "I am with Dad or Mom" I don't care, is kinda how they tend to roll?? So much so that, I was "concerned that my Struddell was not aware of uh pretty much, anything around her?? Now she did prove that was not entirely true ... but that's another story. :)

But back on point, most likely on GermansheaprdForum, they would say your dog has "Weak Nerves??" Most likely that "assessment, is both accurate and interesting but not that helpful???" At 4 years ... your dog may never be "all that he could be??" I don't know ... but with a different approach ... he can be better than he is. You just have to have the right approach.

And at the heart of his issues are most, likely Anxity and a generalized sense of Nervous??? Why that is ... I don't know?? But that is not important as is understanding how to proceed from here.

Your dog has to learn how to better "trust" your leadership and how to "Cope" with doing ... "Nothing! It's a skill and a process ... you just have to know ... how it's done. :)

So a lot of info is gonna how ...so you know "Ask Questions." But the "Cliff Note" version is here.;
1) Walk Your Dog
2) Do Sit on the Dog
3) Train "The Place Command"

In order to "create" Calm Well Behaved, dogs ... those things are all you know. :)

But as they say... the "devil is in the details??" And I have strived to spell them out. Hmm, my link to Jeff's article on anxiety issues is gone??? Well that sucks! :(

I'll have to work on that again, still doesn't matter, it mostly referenced what to do. And that info is still to be found here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Oh and Jeff Gellman Solid K9 Training, can be found here. :
https://www.solidk9training.com/faq/

Although I tend to favor Larry Krohn more these days.:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCortXxJdZYbHCrOa3nddr6g

In any case the things I've outlined ...those guys would say pretty much the same things. Welcome Aboard and ask questions as always. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
My boxer tends to notice anything that's different especially if it's on the path where we usually walk. My shepherd though is the same as yours it does not like any vehicles especially diesel ones, I guess because of the smell. when a vehicle approaches she usually is off leash and walks off to the side of the road about 15 to 20 ft until it passes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Even at 4 years old, you can do a whole lot to shape your boxer's behavior so that specific noises/sights are less stressful for him and he has a more positive association with them. With noises that create fear, I have had success using my cell phone to record the offending noise. I will then have short sessions where I play the recording with the volume turned down very low. I'll start & pause the recording repeatedly. Each time the recording is quietly playing the "scary" noise, I give the dog a high value treat. I'll slowly increase the volume, continuing to give a treat each time I hit play on the recording. Eventually, I'll play the recording at full volume & continue to give treats each time it is audible. Ideally, this process is done at a pace that the dog is not overwhelmed by, and by the time you have it at full volume they are no longer scared if it because they now associate that sound with a good thing - a treat. I'll then keep treats handy and when the (originally offending) noise is heard in "real life", I will reinforce the positive association with treats.
Visual reactions can be shaped the same way over time. Every time the dog glances at a car - "Good boy!" and a high value treat. If the dog glances at a rolling car, even better - "Good boy!" & toss a treat at him. Even if he is too anxious to eat the treat, toss it to him anyway. He will acknowledge on some level that something positive is occurring simultaneously with the scary "thing/noise". It can get monotonous, but I have had very good experiences creating a more positive reaction in dogs this way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts