Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They want to give Brodi his lepto shot next week but I'm up in the air about it..I don't live by any kind of lakes or any kind of standing water but I do have tons of deer in my back yard that I'm sure go to the bathroom there..I thought I read somewhere that there is a risk for the lepto shot regarding boxers?? Chloe is due soon for it too but I'm kinda confused wondering if they really need it or not..Can they only get this disease thru standing water??

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I dont do lepto.   My dogs are never out without a person, will not drink out of standing water, etc therefore feel like its not a vaccine we will give.  I only give Rabies and the yearly - I feel too much vaccines are pushed on people and not enough evaluation on what is needed in a given situation.   I also heard that Lepto is a tough shot to take, some dogs have reactions to it.

So strictly IMO - if you feel you need it then give it, if you dont then decline.    Everyone's pets live in different environments.   There are many of reports and research on over vaccinating and effect and what not.   IMO I feel that some of the treatments shall you pet contract the illness is far less severe than a yearly shot which IMO weakens the immune system.   But this is a topic that many will vary on.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm with Heather on this as well...When I took Samson & Angel in, I was adamant that I didn't need full series of shots...I had had some questions last summer as well about the Lepto and after doing research, decided that was not necessary...Yes, we do have deer, but hoping the fences keep that down, if they are out anywhere, I always provide fresh water, so to me it wasn't a shot that was needed...It's kinda like Kennel cough, there are so many strains, even when you vaccinate, you still can run the risk of your Boxer getting it....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've decided to pass on it for both Brodi and Chloe..Thank you both for the replies  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
:) I think that's a good idea...Chloe has had a lot of health issues in the past anyways, the last thing she needs is to have a bad reaction to that shot...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
As said previous it is totally up to you and depending on your situation.  But here are the complete facts of Lepto and how they can get it.

It is considered a pretty serious disease because it is one of the few that can be tranmitted to us. (humans). It is a bacterial infection that attacks the kidneys and can leave permanent damage...... Signs of lepto can range from mild to severe and include: depression, weakness, abdominal pain, sudden unset of ulcers on the tongue or in the mouth, jaundice in the whites of the eyes, diarrhea often bloody and vomitting. It is slow to recover and can cause death as soon as 5-10 days after signs are noticed, if they make it through there can be damage to the liver and kidneys.

How do dogs get it?

Lepto is passed through contaminated urine. Animals that can carry Lepto are raccoons, rats, mice, pigs, sheeps, goats, deer and cattle. Once the animal who is infected urinates.....it can enter into puddles, ponds or other water sources. Dogs generally pick it up by swimming in contaminated water, walking through it, drinking it or eating grass that has been urnited on.

However with all that said, lepto is a fairly rare diease and if your dog is mainly an inside pet chances are that they won't come in contact with it.....The exception would be dogs that while outside go swimming in ponds or rivers, that are out in wooded areas or that you live in areas with more wildlife.

This is a vaccination that some dogs will have reactions to, some say that the reaction is to the bacteria itself while others say that it is to the agent added it the bacteria. Either way, your vet can add medication to the vaccine ahead of time to reduce or prevent a reaction if your dog is prone to reactions to vaccinations and you prefer to have the vaccination given.  The best thing to do is look at your individual situation and then talk to your vet to find out the number of cases they have seen in your area.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The best thing to do is look at your individual situation and then talk to your vet to find out the number of cases they have seen in your area.
Yes, and which serovars are causing the cases.  There are many serovars, and the vaccine only covers four of them; there are at least two others that have been causing disease in dogs which are not addressed by the vaccine.  (So, if in your area "Lepto-Q" [not a real serovar] is the problem, and the vaccine only covers "Leptos -A, -B, -E, and -P, the vaccine won't offer your dog any protection against Lepto in your area.)

A more well-written explanation is here: :)
http://www.caberfeidh.com/Lepto.htm

G

·
0 Posts
I personally do do the lepto vaccine...even though Jetta has reactions to it...this is because we like to camp and both dogs will be exposed to the woods, water, etc.  I will, however only be doing these shots every 3 years

Oh, sorry guys...this is Jamie (aquagirl900)  didn't realize that my puter was still signed on as my husband's new account!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I will be getting one for Kiah, we had a case of a dog that goes to the dog park that contracted lepto, they were not sure where he got it though.  I don't let Kiah drink standing water but when she is off leash it is difficult to get them not to drink or stop them quick enough.  Also at the other dog park there are lots of streams and ponds where she might drink the water.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I feel as if I have to give the lepto shot, I dont allow her to drink standing water but she did however find some in the backyard, when it rains here not all the water drains so Im glad I gave it to her. She has had no reaction to anything, I also give her a Lyme shot too being we have tons of pine trees and stuff.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Just curious as to the relationship between lyme disease and pine trees??

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"79594 said:
Is it possible to just get the lepto without the other kinds of vaccines?
Yes there is...I prefer it that way instead of with a combo vaccine.

g00dgirl\";p=\"79604 said:
Just curious as to the relationship between lyme disease and pine trees??
There is not one...maybe they are referring to being in a wooded area with alot of ticks :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
We ran titers on everything we could, but the vet was very, very insistent that we give the Lepto shot.  She was aware that a large amount of dogs were coming down with it in our area.  If I recall we gave it in two doses that were seperated by a month.

A friend would not run her Lab in a nearby pine forest because she said pines housed more ticks.  

Ann WI

·
Registered
319 Posts
Perhaps the information below will answer some of your questions about Leptospira -- the vaccine and the disease.  

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST THIS MESSAGE.

Regarding the Lepto vaccine, on Page 2 of the American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines and Recommendations, it states that "Optional or 'noncore' vaccines are those that the committee believe should be considered only in special circumstances because their use is more dependent  on the exposure risk of the individual animal.  Issues of geographic distribution and lifestyle should be considered before administering these vaccines.  In addition, the diseases involved are generally self-limiting or respond readily to treatment.  The committee believes this group of vaccines comprises distemper-meases virus (D-MV), canine parainfluenza virus (CPIV), Leptospira spp., Bordetella bronchispetica, and Borrelia burdorferi."

Furthermore, on Page 7, Tables 1 of the AAHA Guidelines referenced above, it states under Revaccination (Booster Recommendations) that the Leptospira interrogans vaccine "....this product carries high-risk for adverse vaccine events." Under Overall Comments and Recommendations they elaborate:  "Anecdotal reports from veterinarians and breeders suggest that the incidence of postvaccination reactions (acute anaphylaxis) in puppies (<12 wks of age) and small-breed dogs is high. Reactions are most severe in young (<9>9 wks of age."

On Page 8 of the 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines, it states that "Veterinarians are advised of anecdotal reports of ACUTE ANAPHYLAXIS in TOY BREEDS following administration of leptospirosis vaccines.  Routine vaccination of toy breeds should only be considered in dogs known to have a high exposure risk."

Leptospira is a [b:38clxegb]

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have to disagree with the first part of this post that it is stating "the diseases involved are generally self-limiting or respond readily to treatment" if it is speaking of Lepto and not of Bordetella.

Lepto is not an easy disease to treat and in more cases then not it causes death.  It affects the kidneys and effects them quickly. Had a case of a dog this past week that was positive for Lepto and was already in kidney failure.  I have seen more die from it then be saved.

The rest is pretty common and standard...yes dogs can have reactions to it and yes it is more common in smaller "toy" breed dogs to have a reaction.  There is a shot that can be given prior to the vaccination to help greatly reduce the chance of reaction. It is not one of the core vaccinations as per the AAHA guidelines and there are many strains of it, to date over 200 of them....so that is why it is better to check the options with your individual vets.  You may be in an area that does not see it or the cases that are seen are not a strain that is portected by the vaccination.  I am all for not giving vaccinations that are not needed, but hate to see a positive case on something that may could have been prevented.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The first part of the post that you disagree with "the diseases involved are generally self-limiting or respond readily to treatment.  The committee believes this group of vaccines comprises distemper-meases virus (D-MV), canine parainfluenza virus (CPIV), Leptospira spp., Bordetella bronchispetica, and Borrelia burdorferi." does refer to Leptospira as well as Bordetella.

That quote is from the American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Task Force's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines and Recommendations.  They do state "generally self-limiting" not always self-limiting.

There are risks associated with vaccination and risks associated with not vaccinating -- a particular dog's disease exposure risk must be weighed against the risk of potential adverse reactions to a specific vaccine.  That is a decision that should be made between an informed dog owner and their veterinary medical care provider.

G

·
0 Posts
Kris, please don't take offence to Sharon's post.  She is a vet and has given us all some great advice here on this forum.  She does not seem to be the shot pushing, med pushing vet that so many of us are used to.  I can tell she greatly cares for her pets, her patients, and animals in general.  She would prob. be a good resource for you to talk to

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sorry to "bump" this thread. I just wanted to let new boxer owners what I was told about the Lepto.
My vet ( an avid Boxer owner ) feels the EXACT way Sharon does. Living here in S Texas, we are exposed to critters all the time. He too feels this vacination not only is a must ( geez..you can get it from mice/rats piddling in your yard, or your general vacininty..and a good rain washes it into your yard, or a puddle where your walking your dog! ), but he will not give it during the puppy series of DHPP /and Rabies, due to overload of vacine at the time.
He had an excellent suggestion of "your brining you girl in to be spayed in a few weeks, lets give her down time from the last series, and start the Lepto then". She is limited to unsupervised outside time anyhow as she just finished her vaccination series.
I too was told..of all the vacinations given..this protects not only your pup..but YOU as well ( the only transmitible disease we can "share" with our dogs? ). And

1 - 20 of 28 Posts